Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMFG, stop the trolling! You earned this Block User for sure

There is someone working on adding CCS support to the Leaf. And there is no reason you couldn't buy a NACS port to hook up to that.
Other than the fact that such an adapter doesn’t exist and may never. Qualcomm as I mentioned owns the IP and makes a required chip for CCS. If you want to buy that chip you’ll need to order 1000 or maybe it was 10,000 so most people retrofitting CCS are buying the BMW i3 inlet service part but that too isn’t practical if you wanna sell the kit to Leaf owners to move to CCS

Last edited:
Is the CCS adapter prone to theft? Meaning if someone stops charging when you are not around, will the adapter remain locked or does the car unlock it when DCFC stops? Never tested it, wondering if anyone did.
I had to add a 1/4 tubing to the end of the lock pin on the Tesla CCS connector in order for it to engage properly.
Without the extension I was able to remove the connector, with the extension I can't remove it.

The J-1772 adapter needed an additional ring to lock, so another Tesla design flaw?
The J1772 never was intended to be locked, so it's not a design flaw there.

The CCS adapter is intended to locked to the connector during the charging session, but it's possible the design tolerances allows it to be unlocked.

However, to clarify, the adapter still can't be stolen given it will still be locked to the car.

The J1772 never was intended to be locked, so it's not a design flaw there.

The CCS adapter is intended to locked to the connector during the charging session, but it's possible the design tolerances allows it to be unlocked.

However, to clarify, the adapter still can't be stolen given it will still be locked to the car.
The one I got, the pin is about 1/4 too short to engage the locking mechanism.
A short piece of tubing over the pin was I needed, and it works perfectly

The one I got, the pin is about 1/4 too short to engage the locking mechanism.
A short piece of tubing over the pin was I needed, and it works perfectly
1/4" seems like a lot for a tolerance, but it's possible that's what it ends up with if all tolerances are added up. Is it the same distance on all the different types of CCS connectors encountered? Or does it vary?

1/4" seems like a lot for a tolerance, but it's possible that's what it ends up with if all tolerances are added up. Is it the same distance on all the different types of CCS connectors encountered? Or does it vary?
It is between my charging port and the connector. The pin does not fully engage unless the adapter is pushing all the way down into the charging port. But even when full pushed into the port I am able to retract the adapter a bit and it disengages the handle lock.

Put it another way if I put the the adapter into the cars port I can move it in and out slightly.
While it remains locked to the car the handle locking pin does not remain pushed in far enough keep the handle lock engaged.

I talked about it here, with pictures

Tesla isn't blocking anything. The cars just don't have the necessary hardware to support NACS.

Unlikely, in Europe Tesla makes older vehicles pay for the CCS Retrofit if they want to use V3 Superchargers, as they only support CCS and have a different connector.
Tesla offered me the chance to upgrade for a year now except every time I tried to schedule it, sorry no parts.

I finally just did what a lot of folks here have done, bought the computer from Tesla and the magic bundle of wires and swapped it myself. I'll get the Tesla adapter when I can because having more options is better for me.

Tesla should just buy that kit too! :)

Reactions: DuncanM
I haven't read 28 pages of thread, but I suppose the question that comes to mind is -
When the rest of North American cars are using NACS as the physical plug, how will non-Tesla chargers talk to the cars? How will Tesla chargers speak to non-Tesla cars? Will they use Tesla's protocol, or CCS protocol? (Because I assume the adapter that Tesla is putting on its Superchargers for CCS plugs speaks CCS protocol...?)

So with my late 2018 Model 3, would I need the CCS upgrade should I want to charge from a non-Tesla Level 3 charger, even if - in future - it has a NACS plug?

When the rest of North American cars are using NACS as the physical plug, how will non-Tesla chargers talk to the cars? How will Tesla chargers speak to non-Tesla cars? Will they use Tesla's protocol, or CCS protocol?

CCS.

So with my late 2018 Model 3, would I need the CCS upgrade should I want to charge from a non-Tesla Level 3 charger, even if - in future - it has a NACS plug?
Yes.

And good luck getting it from Tesla - I gave up after asking every couple months and did it myself - search for "bundle of wires" for more details
Yeah, those of us with older Model 3s and Ys are the tough case. There are a lot older S and X owners, so Tesla was motivated to develop the upgrades. The post 2019 cars that are not CCS compatible can just have the up to date ECU installed and they're done. This smaller group of older 3s and Ys need either a special ECU or the ECU and charge port replaced. I'm fairly confident we'll get it...eventually.

Yeah, those of us with older Model 3s and Ys are the tough case. There are a lot older S and X owners, so Tesla was motivated to develop the upgrades. The post 2019 cars that are not CCS compatible can just have the up to date ECU installed and they're done. This smaller group of older 3s and Ys need either a special ECU or the ECU and charge port replaced. I'm fairly confident we'll get it...eventually.
I think it’s only older model 3s that are the issue. Model Ys can all easily swap to the ccs ecu without any bundle of wire style hacks.

Reactions: miimura and israndy