Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM tire warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many mm's to the tread wear indicators?
I've successfully gotten the pro-rated credit for the 18" Primacys that were replaced at 20k miles. All were down to 2/32 or 3/32. Tires were rotated by Discount Tire at 7k and 18k miles at no cost, why people pay to have Tesla do it is beyond me.

Discount Tire is also where I got the credit, which was $86 per tire, for total of $344 off a set of new Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S Plus. Bc tires were going back to Michelin, I was also not charged for tire disposal. It ended up being around $500 out the door.

Process was started by going to DT and telling them online research shows Michelin has tread life warranty on OEM tires at 45k. The rep at DT called Michelin on the spot and went through the process with them.

Requirements for claim are:
1. Tires rotated every 10k or less. May need to show proof, which DT was able to look up in their system
2. Even wear on all 4 tires. You can't have 6/32 on fronts and 3/32 on rear and claim
3. Even wear across width of each tire

I've seen on Reddit with people having success with NTB as well.
2/32 is the level the wear indicators are at correct? So I can basically eye ball those and see how many mil's I have left before the tire is in the warranty claim range?

How many mm's to the tread wear indicators?

2/32 is the level the wear indicators are at correct? So I can basically eye ball those and see how many mil's I have left before the tire is in the warranty claim range?
Just get a gauge from Amazon, the tire stores use the same one. With often we should monitor our tread wear on the Model 3,really should just get 1. Also you want to have even tread wear, that's hard to eyeball.

Had 33k miles on our 3 RWD w/ 18 inch michelins which we bought in March 2018. The back tires were almost completely worn out and they all needed to be replaced. Went to Americas Tire and they called Michelin and I was able to get a 20% discount on a new set. Ended up picking the Michelin Pilot AS 4 for $158 each and also will get a $70 rebate back.

Reactions: Matsayz
I have a model 3 RWD 2018 purchased 07/2018. It's nearing 30K miles - time for new tires. I read somewhere that the 18" Michelin tires have a 55K mile warranty and that some dealers can get a credit from Michelin for the failure to reach warranty mileage. Is Costco one of them? The car is based in NY, on long Island. It's currently in the Lauderdale area of Florida. Any leads would be appreciated.

I’m surprised by how quickly everyone seems to need new tires. I got my M3 in July 2018 and only have 10K miles on it. I wasn’t even thinking about tires as I thought the tires should last 55K miles based on warranty. Is that not what I should be expecting?

I just checked the tread and I only have 4/32” left on the rear tires (I haven’t rotated them yet but I’m about to. Front tires have 5/32” - 6/32” left). These tires aren’t gonna last 55K miles, are they. I guess I don’t drive much so I should replace them in a couple years regardless, but what’s the point of 55K warranty?

I’m surprised by how quickly everyone seems to need new tires. I got my M3 in July 2018 and only have 10K miles on it. I wasn’t even thinking about tires as I thought the tires should last 55K miles based on warranty. Is that not what I should be expecting?

I just checked the tread and I only have 4/32” left on the rear tires (I haven’t rotated them yet but I’m about to. Front tires have 5/32” - 6/32” left). These tires aren’t gonna last 55K miles, are they. I guess I don’t drive much so I should replace them in a couple years regardless, but what’s the point of 55K warranty?
there's no way these OEM tires last 55k miles even if driven like grandma. I don't drive like a maniac and dont floor it at every green light... but with 22k miles I only have ~4mm+ on each tire. Likely will need a new set of tires ~30k miles.

Reactions: rlb4

@notsure11 Welcome to driving an EV. :) Which wheels and tires do you have?

The Model 3 is svelte as long range EVs go, but it's still got a sizable (hefty) battery and a lot of torque. Tires just don't last super long on a Tesla. The same is true for similarly heavy and powerful ICE cars from what I've seen, e.g. a friend's AMG Mercedes-Benz.

I think the point of a tire warranty is they credit you for the miles you didn't get. For example, if you reach 2/32" at 25k miles and the tire warranty was for 50k miles, a tire warranty would credit you 50% of the cost of the tires (or whatever proration it stipulates). The warranty will require even wear across the tire. The tire warranty may also require regular tire rotations or showing even wear across all 4 tires.

That friend who had an AMG Benz would only buy tires with a mileage warranty. Which were generally expensive up front (e.g. the Michelin tax), but easily worthwhile for him as he would get multiple replacement tire credits through the warranty period.

Reactions: notsure11
i know the Michelin OEM tire warranty isn't applicable to post 2018 deliveries... but what about if i buy a new set of OEM Michelins - do they come with the 55k mile warranty? I like the OEM tires but getting 30k miles out of them isn't great...

i know the Michelin OEM tire warranty isn't applicable to post 2018 deliveries... but what about if i buy a new set of OEM Michelins - do they come with the 55k mile warranty? I like the OEM tires but getting 30k miles out of them isn't great...

yeah, if you buy the tires yourself they come with whatever the warranty is. i switched from the OEMs to hankooks, and am already on my second set...the first set wore down just as quickly as the OEMs (maybe slightly slower), and i got 50%-ish credit on the new set when i had them installed. i got my RWD LR in august of 2018, and i'm already on my third set of tires (so roughly a new set of tires per year).

this car just eats tires, period. i said in another post, if you're buying this car, budget for a new set of tires once a year to be safe (although you'll likely get a decent credit each year so you won't be paying full price after the first set)...

Reactions: tm1v2
When the service tech came to install my HW3 he reminded me I needed new tires (22K). He said in addition to all the usual causes (higher weight, quick starts, hard cornering), he said regenerative breaking shortens the life of the tires. Makes sense, we don't really coast anymore. I suspect tread life went down on average after we got the software updated for one pedal driving.
That makes no sense. All regen does is change how your vehicle slows down, but whether you “coast” or constantly brake hard is just a function of how you drive, not what mechanism is used to slow you down.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3