Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM tire warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gotten a pro-rated credit on the OEM tires? They're supposed to have a 45k mile warranty, I just went for my third rotation today at America's Tire and they are already at the point of needing replacement, and I'm not even at 24k miles and the car is only about 14 months old.

They were rotated twice to this point, both by Tesla mobile service. First time around 7500 miles, second was around 14k (I emailed Tesla to get the service logs and exact mileage but haven't heard back yet)...what's the procedure for warranty replacement on OEM tires? I am pretty sure I've seen at least a few posts where people have gotten credits on them, but nothing with the details on how to go about it...

It’s worth checking if they will prorate the tire for warranty, call the 1800 number of the tire manufacturer and go from there and see what they say
I got a nail in my tire that had to be replaced 2019 model 3 and they covered partial about 70-80% of the purchase of the new tire I had low mileage on the tire at the time.

It’s worth checking if they will prorate the tire for warranty, call the 1800 number of the tire manufacturer and go from there and see what they say
I got a nail in my tire that had to be replaced 2019 model 3 and they covered partial about 70-80% of the purchase of the new tire I had low mileage on the tire at the time.

+1, I had road damage in one of my Michelin Pilot Sports (the 20” Performance OEM tire) and they covered almost the entire cost of a new tire, so my out-the-door cost at a local tire shop was about $100...

I've successfully gotten the pro-rated credit for the 18" Primacys that were replaced at 20k miles. All were down to 2/32 or 3/32. Tires were rotated by Discount Tire at 7k and 18k miles at no cost, why people pay to have Tesla do it is beyond me.

Discount Tire is also where I got the credit, which was $86 per tire, for total of $344 off a set of new Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S Plus. Bc tires were going back to Michelin, I was also not charged for tire disposal. It ended up being around $500 out the door.

Process was started by going to DT and telling them online research shows Michelin has tread life warranty on OEM tires at 45k. The rep at DT called Michelin on the spot and went through the process with them.

Requirements for claim are:
1. Tires rotated every 10k or less. May need to show proof, which DT was able to look up in their system
2. Even wear on all 4 tires. You can't have 6/32 on fronts and 3/32 on rear and claim
3. Even wear across width of each tire

I've seen on Reddit with people having success with NTB as well.

This is great info.

So I understand, you didn't even have to involve Tesla? You just went into DT and said, "These tires that came with the car only lasted 20K miles," and they did the rest?

This is great info.

So I understand, you didn't even have to involve Tesla? You just went into DT and said, "These tires that came with the car only lasted 20K miles," and they did the rest?

Keep in mind that Michelin did have a premature wear warranty in 2018, which they eliminated in 2019. So some of the members who have posted stories of getting a premature wear credit on OEM tires may have purchased the tires before the warranty change.

In addition, it’s possible that some warranty claims were approved after the change because the person at Michelin who reviewed the case was not aware that the tires were purchased in 2019. As time goes on I suspect there will be fewer cases of warranty replacements on these tires.

But of course, if never hurts to ask.

Reactions: C141medic
Keep in mind that Michelin did have a premature wear warranty in 2018, which they eliminated in 2019. So some of the members who have posted stories of getting a premature wear credit on OEM tires may have purchased the tires before the warranty change.

In addition, it’s possible that some warranty claims were approved after the change because the person at Michelin who reviewed the case was not aware that the tires were purchased in 2019. As time goes on I suspect there will be fewer cases of warranty replacements on these tires.

But of course, if never hurts to ask.

Yeah, for 2019 models and newer it's very YMMV.

Michelin just warrantied the tires off my 2019 model three long range AWD (15,074 miles). First went to discount tire, they measured the tread depth (4/32) and they said I needed to call Michelin and that they weren't supposed to call them anymore. Got home and did just that and Michelin gave me a case # even though the Michelin warranty form excludes OEM tires. Called Discount tire back and told them my Michelin case # and they told me how much credit I would get per tire. Long story short, I was credited $750.24 for old tires and 4 new tires cost $486.37 out the door. I put the same tire on it and we will see how it holds up. Hope this helps someone out, and saves you a lot of money.

Michelin just warrantied the tires off my 2019 model three long range AWD (15,074 miles). First went to discount tire, they measured the tread depth (4/32) and they said I needed to call Michelin and that they weren't supposed to call them anymore. Got home and did just that and Michelin gave me a case # even though the Michelin warranty form excludes OEM tires. Called Discount tire back and told them my Michelin case # and they told me how much credit I would get per tire. Long story short, I was credited $750.24 for old tires and 4 new tires cost $486.37 out the door. I put the same tire on it and we will see how it holds up. Hope this helps someone out, and saves you a lot of money.

I tried calling America's Tire and they gave me a similar line that they aren't supposed to call anymore. Did you have a specific number to call Michelin to get the case #?

just FYI... the OEM Michelin's come from the factory with *just* 8/32 tread which is not that much to begin with. Continental's (and other tires) typically come with 10/32 new. I personally refuse to put non-performance tires on my vehicle which come with less than 10/32 from the factory...

Reactions: C141medic

So you told Michelin on the phone that your OEM tires are worned out, and they still gave you a case number?

I had a similar situation with my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD (purchased 7/18) and the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 18 inch tires. With only 22,800 miles, the tires were worn down to 2/32 and 3/32 (rotated 3 times approximately every 7k miles). I did an online chat with Michelin Support and was told the same information that OEM tires are no longer covered under the tread wear warranty but with little pressure on my part, they offered me a good will discount on new tires by opening and providing me a warranty case # and instructed me to have an authorized tire dealer call them (866-866-6605) along with the tire wear measurements, mileage, etc. information and with that information they would calculate the offer. I went to my local America’s Tire and when they called Michelin they offered 46% off the cost of a set of new tires (based on the retail cost of the Primacy MXM4 tires). I felt this was a fair offer and proceeded in purchasing the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 235/45ZR18 (OEM size) and although these do not have the acoustic tech foam, there is just a tad more road noise but the performance/handling improvements over the MXM4’s is worth it in my opinion. I was given a credit of $126.96 per tire and since the Pilot Sport All Season 4 were $199 each, my out the door cost, which included labor, tax, road hazard warranty coverage, was $508.05. So with very little effort on my part, I saved $507.84. Good luck to anyone in the same situation.

Reactions: EVNation
I had a similar situation with my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD (purchased 7/18) and the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 18 inch tires. With only 22,800 miles, the tires were worn down to 2/32 and 3/32 (rotated 3 times approximately every 7k miles). I did an online chat with Michelin Support and was told the same information that OEM tires are no longer covered under the tread wear warranty but with little pressure on my part, they offered me a good will discount on new tires by opening and providing me a warranty case # and instructed me to have an authorized tire dealer call them (866-866-6605) along with the tire wear measurements, mileage, etc. information and with that information they would calculate the offer. I went to my local America’s Tire and when they called Michelin they offered 46% off the cost of a set of new tires (based on the retail cost of the Primacy MXM4 tires). I felt this was a fair offer and proceeded in purchasing the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 235/45ZR18 (OEM size) and although these do not have the acoustic tech foam, there is just a tad more road noise but the performance/handling improvements over the MXM4’s is worth it in my opinion. I was given a credit of $126.96 per tire and since the Pilot Sport All Season 4 were $199 each, my out the door cost, which included labor, tax, road hazard warranty coverage, was $508.05. So with very little effort on my part, I saved $507.84. Good luck to anyone in the same situation.

My situation went the same way as yours. Michelin rep gave push back on 2018 being excluded, but she ended up giving me a case number. Went to America's Tire for an inspection, got credited back about $100 per tire, which I also used on the Pilot Sport All Season 4. Just give Michelin a car and see if you can get a rep that will work with you and state that you would like to continue using Michelin tires, as I believe my credit could only be used on new Michelin tires.

When the service tech came to install my HW3 he reminded me I needed new tires (22K). He said in addition to all the usual causes (higher weight, quick starts, hard cornering), he said regenerative breaking shortens the life of the tires. Makes sense, we don't really coast anymore. I suspect tread life went down on average after we got the software updated for one pedal driving.