Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off-peak Hours confusion…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The implementation is just poor. It needs a simple schedule with start AND stop charging times. Every other EV manufacturer can manage that.

I mean how is it poor? You have an option to schedule when you want to finish charging or when you want to start. I don't really under the AND part.

If you want to set a specific parameter, set the time you want to start and then set the mileage or percentage you want to finish.

Most 240v chargers even at 30amps can do 18miles per hour. So from empty that's 12-14 hours, for most people it's unlikely because most people don't charge from empty unless it's a really specific situation, at which rate the time of charge literally doesn't matter to that person.

Secondly, if you're charging at 120v. The cost per hour you can draw at peak hours is <$1 tops at PG&E peak rates....Probably only $0.60. I find it hard to believe you can't just hit stop charging on your app in the case that you couldn't finish your charge during off-peak hours and it extend into peak hours...

If you're complaining about $1 or even $.60, there's something wrong with your financial situation. However, if that happens every day that you forget...that's not a car problem. That's a human problem.

Because you can set the time when you want to start charging, and how much charge you need.

I have the same complaint - it should let you put in the hours that ARE peak and then not charge during those hours. I want to be able to get home at 6 pm and plug-in knowing it won't start until off-peak time starts (9 pm, same as you).

Usually off-peak is shorter than peak times so it's really the same as telling the car when the off-peak hours are. It'll charge during off-peak times. I don't get what's the complication here.

Reactions: WillyTheG
My off-peak is 12 AM to 3 AM. I currently tell it to start charging at 12:15 AM. I would like to use the scheduled departure charging, but I don't trust the clunky interface.

The only disadvantage of scheduled charging start is that the car will sit at a higher SOC for longer periods.*

My Question: Is that a significant advantage or not?

*In case that's not clear, here's an example: If I set the limit to 90%, and I need three hours of charge, and I plan to depart at 9:15 AM, then with Scheduled Start, the car will sit at 90% SOC for six hours (3:15 AM to 9:15 AM). If I choose Scheduled Departure, the car will not sit at 90% SOC for more than a few minutes. Over five years, we're talking 10,950 hours or 465 days at 90%.

Well, today I came home at 2PM (during Peak time), plugged in, and it immediately started charging. It turns out I never hit the "SET" button after setting all my options. So while my fault, it's still a very clunky interface

Same thing happened to me. I'm going to go out and try again ...

Okay, now I got it. Yes, I had also failed to tap the SET button.

Last edited:
Here's how I'd like it:

I tell the car the start AND stop times for off-peak.
I tell the car when I want to depart.
The car will charge so that it will charge to my limit just before departure time.
If there isn't enough time to do the charging during off-peak, it will give me a warning.

OR

The screen will say

Ready to depart at 8:00
Estimated charging start time 3:18 AM.

Reactions: grmdl3 and NewbieT
Im also confused by this.

My off peak is 7pm to 7am. But i get home from work around 1215am - 1245am. So do i set my departure time for 7am then?

I don't get why it cant be as simple as telling the car to charge between X time and X time. No confusion then...

My old Chargepoint Home 25 charger came with that feature built in...

Reactions: GZDongles
There are so many different charging times and rates, that it would be challenging for Tesla to set up a charging scheme that would work in every conceivable circumstance.
These rates and times seem to be changing all the time as well.

Current response is for consumer to learn when his least expensive charging period is and determine when would be the best time to begin charging.

Not wanting to ever be charged more that the cheapest rate is going to take some thought on the part of the owner.

There are so many different charging times and rates, that it would be challenging for Tesla to set up a charging scheme that would work in every conceivable circumstance.
These rates and times seem to be changing all the time as well.

Current response is for consumer to learn when his least expensive charging period is and determine when would be the best time to begin charging.

Not wanting to ever be charged more that the cheapest rate is going to take some thought on the part of the owner.
My Gen 1 Volt allows you to the enter the peak or off periods. Separate entry for weekdays and weekends.
You can schedule to charge off peak, or you can set your departure time and charge for departure.
That was implemented from the beginning, with the 2011 model, because it's just so freaking obvious.

The Bolt has the same capability.

I also have a Kona now, which only has a single off-peak period, which can occasionally be annoying as I have to override the schedule and charge immediately, which means standing and pressing a button for 3 seconds.

I have CMP's Supersaver TOU where I have 3 cheap periods: 8pm-7am weekdays, 12pm-4pm weekdays, and all day at the weekends. I had those periods entered on the Volt (actually set from midnight instead of 8pm) I plugged in, and it charged off peak. Easy.

Well, my scheduled-departure charging is working now, and I like it. I only had a few miles to add, and charging started at 7 AM this morning and finished at 7:30, thirty minutes before my scheduled departure of 8 AM.

The only disadvantage of scheduled charging start is that the car will sit at a higher SOC for longer periods.

My Question: Is that a significant advantage or not?

I've decided that the advantage may be small, but it comes at almost no cost. The downside to scheduled-departure is that occasionally you may want to leave sooner than you expected, finding the car not fully charged.

One other downside would be if your battery was very low, the system might start charging before your off-peak start even though you didn't need to depart at, say, 8:00 AM. In that case, the warning message I described above would help.

An obvious question, but your sure it was "set" in the schedule not just selected? Or if it was today (Saturday)and you might have only weekdays instead of every day selected, I believe that is the default?

Pretty sure. I know that it worked properly Friday morning. That is, it finished charging at 7:30 AM. I also know that I had selected every day, since I'm retired.

Well, today I got home from a trip at 2:45 PM, and it immediately started charging! Aargh.

The scheduled departure is not ready for prime time. I'm going back to scheduled charging.

Exactly the same issue. This morning it pre-heated the car just fine to depart at the scheduled time, but it immediately started charging upon plugging in when I got home today.

This used to work in previous software revisions, now it appears broken.

Yeah, they need an off-peak window rather than just an end time. It could pop up a warning if the desired SOC can’t be achieved during that window and give you the option to charge before or after off-peak (I would think after if using scheduled departure in order to limit battery drain just before driving).

Without that or the ability to schedule departure in the app, I’m trying a scheduled departure tomorrow and set the desired SOC below current SOC but will bump it up when rates are closer to off-peak. Unfortunately, unless I want to do the math or have a time machine to confirm ComEd’s hourly rates will be as predicted, I can’t be sure the desired SOC (trying for 100% and balanced before I leave) will he reached during low rate times. Also can’t be sure how much energy will be used during non off-peak hours leading up to my noon departure (roughly 7 hours after commonly low rates end).

Lots of room for improvement.

Stupid me, I didn't set my app to alert me when the charging stopped but, even though there was a lag after I moved the app charge setting to 100% (99 due to temperature) around 2:30 am to account for the ComEd hourly rate off-peakish timing, it started charging about 10 minutes later with a predicted 3:45 of charging time (due to cold). When I checked it at 9:45, charging was complete at 99% (don't know if the battery balanced) but climate didn't turn on until about 25 minutes before scheduled departure time at noon.

Basically, the scheduled departure time is clearly just about climate (battery warming?) and off-peak is a whole separate aspect. Seems like the departure time concept is really designed for daily commuters (and/or weekend commuters) so not for me. I'm gonna stick with manually warming up since I drive irregular schedules and don't sync my calendar (let alone put everything in my calendar); on the plus side, I now know that 20-30 minutes prior is about right.

Sure hope off-peak gets some enhancements including, if possible, hourly price coordination with utilities' APIs.

2018 Model 3 LR AWD FSD HW3 2020.48.26

If I recall there were complaints the off peak was based on CA times for the Schedule Departure and not applicable to other areas off peak end times. Now the system lets YOU set the end time of your off peak hours. The system now calculates when to start charging to complete before YOUR entered off peak rate ends. Pretty simple and straight forward. You don’t like the off peak time we were using, here pick your own. The system will complete charging based on the time YOU told it your rate ends.

When I first plug in I too see the green lights on the wall charger display going, by the time I reach the door to the house it has stopped. I assume it is doing some system stuff when I first plug in and then shuts down until schedule departure runs. If I look at my iPhone Tesla app the Schedule Departure charging time is right at the TOP of the screen. Now I know it’s set, I can even see the Charging icon just below the Climate icon and it is not charging or heating. I’m good.

Has anyone figured out how to turn the seat heaters on for Schedule Departure? I don’t think they turn on and you can’t manually set them from the iPhone app while it is running under schedule departure. I tried the other day via the phone app while it was starting to warm the car and it will not turn them on. I also tried saving the settings under driver profile before exiting the car, no luck. The settings are there as soon as I get in the car, but didn’t heat the seats at the end of running schedule departure and preconditioning.