Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off-peak Hours confusion…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You just have to worry about 4 PM so set yours to 3:45 like mine. If you plug in with 10% charge at 2 pm, it will charge immediately up to 3:45 PM
Mine does not respect the end of off-peak. For example, tell the car off-peak ends at 11 am, plug it in at 10:30, and it will charge past 11. This has happened twice to me.

Others have reported the opposite.

The programming for this is dead easy as long as it lets you put in the off-peak end and start. Hard to imagine why it hasn't been fixed yet. They could have a high school intern write the code!

I wonder if the new charge stats info in the app will eventually be sent to the car for better management of peak times. It allows you to designate multiple rates with multiple times; rates are rounded to the penny but good enough.

Mine does not respect the end of off-peak. For example, tell the car off-peak ends at 11 am, plug it in at 10:30, and it will charge past 11. This has happened twice to me.

Others have reported the opposite.

The programming for this is dead easy as long as it lets you put in the off-peak end and start. Hard to imagine why it hasn't been fixed yet. They could have a high school intern write the code!

I don't know, but I'm willing to bet a lot of UI issues have to go through Musk. Maybe not. He's no Howard Hughes.

Why not peak hour setting has start and end setting ? There is no any setting have start and end setting in Tesla app. For example peak hour setting ( 9:00 PM TO 4:00 PM) and all charging will be off peak charging. Tesla, please fix it.

Why not peak hour setting has start and end setting ? There is no any setting have start and end setting in Tesla app. For example peak hour setting ( 9:00 PM TO 4:00 PM) and all charging will be off peak charging. Tesla, please fix it.
I agree that's how it should be.

Here's why I think they don't let you put in the start time: If there was a start time, the car would have to handle the situation in which there isn't enough time to charge in the low-cost period. For example, if you want to leave at 6 AM, you need seven hours of charging, and the off-peak period begins at midnight.

In that situation, there would have to be a warning or error message, like "There isn't enough time to charge within the off-peak period. What do you want to do? 1. Charge anyway, 2. Leave later, 3. leave with lower SOC." I can't even think of a precedent for that kind of multiple-choice dialog.

Also, when do you display that warning? As soon as the charge gets low enough (while driving)? Only when the times are set up? What if the SOC drops due to Sentry mode? Or maybe you have a default choice (which won't always be the best choice)? Depends on charging location?

There's some messy programming that has to be done in that situation, and I'm guessing that some engineer said, "Hey, Bob, think about this: If we don't have them enter the start of the low-cost period, we can avoid all that extra programming. Input is error!"

Bottom line: It should let you enter the start of the off-peak period, but doing that complicates things.

Reactions: freeAgent

Here's why I think they don't let you put in the start time: If there was a start time, the car would have to handle the situation in which there isn't enough time to charge in the low-cost period. For example, if you want to leave at 6 AM, you need seven hours of charging, and the off-peak period begins at midnight.

In that situation, there would have to be a warning or error message, like "There isn't enough time to charge within the off-peak period. What do you want to do? 1. Charge anyway, 2. Leave later, 3. leave with lower SOC." I can't even think of a precedent for that kind of multiple-choice dialog.

Also, when do you display that warning? As soon as the charge gets low enough (while driving)? Only when the times are set up? What if the SOC drops due to Sentry mode? Or maybe you have a default choice (which won't always be the best choice)? Depends on charging location?

There's some messy programming that has to be done in that situation, and I'm guessing that some engineer said, "Hey, Bob, think about this: If we don't have them enter the start of the low-cost period, we can avoid all that extra programming. Input is error!"

Bottom line: It should let you enter the start of the off-peak period, but doing that complicates things.
EVEN when I let it do its own calculations, it fails to be charged by departure time. ... and it had plenty of hours to do it.

Furthermore, when selecting manual programming, it fails to follow instructions and may start at its own discretion.

IMO, they have some serious bugs that they don't care about.

A simple solution:
  • Allow setting start and end times for peak and off peak times.
  • Allow setting an option that it will do if there is not enough off peak time to get to the charge target:
    • Charge to target, minimizing peak time, but using peak time if necessary.
    • Use only off peak time, even if it cannot reach the target during off peak time only.
User just needs to set these once. No dialog needed, though that car can display a message indicating that there is enough off peak time and what it is doing based on user settings.

I drive a Tesla Model 3 LR AWD. Between Oct and May, my power company's off-peak hours are 8am-4pm, 7 days a week. I usually depart at 8:30am and drive about 90 miles, 3 days a week, but I am back home and able to charge by 1pm. On the remaining 4 days, I drive sporadically during these off-peak hours, but only for short distances, and the car is at home, available for charging, for most of this off-peak period. I would like to perform all charging during these off-peak hours. Some days, I would get all the way to my 80% threshold setting, other days I wouldn't, but at no time do I wish the car to charge outside of these off-peak hours. How would I set this up? Of course, there are charging exceptions like vacations and special events for which I would change my charging setting to accommodate, but how would I set up the "steady state" charging schedule I describe?

SI drive a Tesla Model 3 LR AWD. Between Oct and May, my power company's off-peak hours are 8am-4pm, 7 days a week. I usually depart at 8:30am and drive about 90 miles, 3 days a week, but I am back home and able to charge by 1pm. On the remaining 4 days, I drive sporadically during these off-peak hours, but only for short distances, and the car is at home, available for charging, for most of this off-peak period. I would like to perform all charging during these off-peak hours. Some days, I would get all the way to my 80% threshold setting, other days I wouldn't, but at no time do I wish the car to charge outside of these off-peak hours. How would I set this up? Of course, there are charging exceptions like vacations and special events for which I would change my charging setting to accommodate, but how would I set up the "steady state" charging schedule I describe?

Hmmm. My first thought:
  1. Set charge limit to 80%
  2. Set for immediate charging
  3. Set alarm on your phone for 4pm, and check the Tesla app. If still charging, stop it.

Hmmm. My first thought:
  1. Set charge limit to 80%
  2. Set for immediate charging
  3. Set alarm on your phone for 4pm, and check the Tesla app. If still charging, stop it.

LOL! Do you use a Tesla phone? Then at least you could claim it was a Tesla solution.

How does that work for a peak time that starts at 6am when I don't get up until later? Oh, I know the answer to that one! IT DOESN"T WORK!!!
This is another of Tesla's many failings.

I drive a Tesla Model 3 LR AWD. Between Oct and May, my power company's off-peak hours are 8am-4pm, 7 days a week. I usually depart at 8:30am and drive about 90 miles, 3 days a week, but I am back home and able to charge by 1pm. On the remaining 4 days, I drive sporadically during these off-peak hours, but only for short distances, and the car is at home, available for charging, for most of this off-peak period. I would like to perform all charging during these off-peak hours. Some days, I would get all the way to my 80% threshold setting, other days I wouldn't, but at no time do I wish the car to charge outside of these off-peak hours. How would I set this up? Of course, there are charging exceptions like vacations and special events for which I would change my charging setting to accommodate, but how would I set up the "steady state" charging schedule I describe?
I do this through my charging equipment (EVSE). If you're able to set up a permanently-mounted charger that supports scheduling, it's super easy. I just tell my charger to turn on at 9pm (when my peak rates end) and turn off at 4pm (when my peak rates begin). I don't do any scheduling from my car. I just set the charge limit to whatever and plug it in. It starts and stops charging based on the EVSE's schedule. If there's a rare occasion when I want to charge during peak hours, I can manually tell the EVSE to provide power using the app (ChargePoint app for the ChargePoint Home Flex).

Honestly, I do not understand why Tesla is obsessed with it's current charging options where it either starts or targets completion at a given time. I wish they'd just allow for full scheduling control. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult.

So disappointing this has been an issue for YEARS!! I have 2 Tesla cars and 3 Tesla Powerwalls. Tesla knows my peak rate times (but I'd be happy to reiterate if necessary), so ONLY CHARGE DURING OFF-PEAK! Easy, right??

Here's my schedule: MON-FRI, have the car ready to go at 7am. Weekend, don't worry about it. If I plug it in, ONLY charge during off-peak. Got it?

• Love
So disappointing this has been an issue for YEARS!! I have 2 Tesla cars and 3 Tesla Powerwalls. Tesla knows my peak rate times (but I'd be happy to reiterate if necessary), so ONLY CHARGE DURING OFF-PEAK! Easy, right??

Here's my schedule: MON-FRI, have the car ready to go at 7am. Weekend, don't worry about it. If I plug it in, ONLY charge during off-peak. Got it?

I also don't understand why some Tesla owners seem to think this is fine? I've had people telling me the car is fine, and that I'm the problem. I shouldn't be trying to do what I'm trying to do.

What is worse, is that at this point, the car seems to have a mind of it's own with regard to charging. I start it charging and it will shut off for no apparent reason. There's no way to tell when it happened, so I can't know if the controls are causing this, or if the car is acting to protect itself from surges or something.

It's not good to start the car charging, then, when you need to drive it, to find it isn't charged! That's one of the complaints about BEVs, that you can't rely on them being charged when you need them.

A different reason for what?
A different reason for why Teslas are BS in a hot roll. That's not a sentiment I agree with, BTW, just trying to clear up any confusion.

I agree there are problems in this area. It's annoying when it charges at a peak time, but it's often just a few dollars wasted.

Until Tesla fixes this, I use phone reminders to check that the car is behaving. "Hey Google. At three pm remind me to check that Nick isn't f#>=$ing charging."

I see that over the last year, it's only screwed up for about 1% of the charging.

Screenshot_20230207-161924_Tesla.jpg