Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marques Brownlee provides a nice comparison on road tripping timing between a gas car, a Tesla, and a Ford Mach-E.

Tesla took about an hour longer than the gas car for the 1000 miles trip, and the Ford took more than 6 hours longer due to difficulty finding working chargers and dealing with slow chargers.

508,000 views and it has not even been 24 hours yet. This will help with more orders for Tesla, if they don't mind a 2022 delivery.

As someone who has made the drive from Seattle to LA in a minivan and a Tesla, I can generally confirm that MKBHD is right if you assume that you drive the gas car straight without stopping to eat or pee. If you stop to do human things, the gap between the Tesla and the gas car narrows considerably.

I haven't looked at this yet, but Im about to watch.

Little extra context on this tho, this guy and his American friend used to live in southern china and married some Chinese women and as far as I could tell made a living making videos about China for years. They weren't super critical but they also weren't really the type of thing that the government would have liked to have exist. It was kinda unlicensed journalism in a country that does like to have its finger on the public narrative. A little before the pandemic both these guys were "tipped off" by some friends that they had become persons of interest by the authorities because of their videos. They then both "fled" to Hong Kong. It was never really clear to me that there was much to any of the way they seemed to portray everything, and since China has custom checks as you exit the country as well as has control of Hong Kong I was always highly skeptical of their claims. Even if it wasn't real they could have just been scared by a rumor.

TL;DR this guy isn't exactly a unbiased source.

edit: ya this seems about par for his attitude and the document isn't particularly uncharacteristic of stuff that comes out now and then. There was a government thing that came out about a decade ago warning that american cia agents go to china and pretend to be interested in china and start relationships with chinese women to spy on china. It's weird when it happens, but it largely goes ignored when it happens. I guess this time could be different but it seems like the same kind of thing that comes out every now and then and as far as I could tell nothing really changed.
Update: this guy *is* in touch with what's happening in China, and not especially unbiased, it seems. The Wapo put out a piece sounding off much the same information re changes in China being instituted https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...c2409c-0c66-11ec-a7c8-61bb7b3bf628_story.html

As I mentioned earlier this is not affecting Tesla - actually I would say it is a positive for Tesla, which does productive and useful work - but as China is a large market and now part of Tesla, keeping tabs on what happens there is necessary for Tesla investors. Much like following what is happening with Biden's EV proposals here.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVWatcher
Would have been nice to have them all top off at the end of the trip for the cost comparison. The gas car did a long leg at the end without refueling which may have artificially narrowed the cost gap.
Thanks for pointing that out, I was surprised by how close the costs were. On further thought, the electric cars most likely would have started with a home-charge which will be less than a charging station. I can't remember if Marquis accounted for that.

Thanks for pointing that out, I was surprised by how close the costs were. On further thought, the electric cars most likely would have started with a home-charge which will be less than a charging station. I can't remember if Marquis accounted for that.
I wouldn't count the starting fuel cost, it wasn't part of the miles used on the actual drive. But at the end he could have presented two values for the EV's. The cost to top off at a public charger and the cost to top off at home since when you return home you're likely to just charge at home.

brick.jpg

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Today still sucks though Lodger...

Annorax:
When I tell you that MMs have moods, a disposition to be intuited, I'm not speaking metaphorically.​
Chakotay:
What do you mean?​
Annorax:
Anger is one of their moods - anger, and the desire for retribution, vengeance. MMs themselves have tried to punish me for my arrogance. It has kept me from my shares, denied me my earnings!​

hqdefault.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

Annorax:
When I tell you that MMs have moods, a disposition to be intuited, I'm not speaking metaphorically.​
Chakotay:
What do you mean?​
Annorax:
Anger is one of their moods - anger, and the desire for retribution, vengeance. MMs themselves have tried to punish me for my arrogance. It has kept me from my shares, denied me my earnings!​

hqdefault.jpg

Cheers!
It must be the Year of Hell if you're quoting from Voyager... LOL!!!

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
The airport is in the New Jersey Meadowlands, 12 miles (19 km) from Midtown Manhattan, which makes it popular for private and corporate aircraft.

The airport has a weight limit of 100,000 pounds (45,000 kg) on aircraft, meant to make it nonviable as an airline airport.

Elon's Gulfstream G650ER has a gross weight of 103k lbs, so it's the largest type of business jet that is allowed to use Teterborough.

Elon's probably going to see his lawyer, or his broker, or both... :p

Cheers!
But 103k>100k ? Physics negotiable?

The airport has a weight limit of 100,000 pounds (45,000 kg) on aircraft, meant to make it nonviable as an airline airport.
Nah, that ain't it. You could almost throw a rock and hit Newark airport from Teterboro.
Many Regional Aircraft weigh under 100k.

Newark has the infrastructure built out for the airlines. No reason to go to Teterboro when you can as an airline fly to Newark.
For what it's worth, Newark was one of the oldest and nastiest airports I flew into....almost as bad as the old LaGuardia.