Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon continues to ignore the collapse of biodiversity, which is a much bigger threat than climate change already. None of his projects aims at preventing this catastrophe...
Climate change is the greatest threat to biodiversity on the planet and Tesla is in fact aiming to prevent this catastrophe. Not sure how someone investing in Tesla isn't aware of that.

Elon continues to ignore the collapse of biodiversity, which is a much bigger threat than climate change already. None of his projects aims at preventing this catastrophe and IMO, both SpaceX and Tesla will speed up the biodiversity collapse by 1) reducing the cost of transportation, 2) making it easier to live/work in remote places (however clean!) and 3) reducing the cost of labor (which makes it muich easier to exploit nature for some quick bucks).

That's a long story but remember it took a long time for Elon to realize that climate change had become an existential risk (he admitted to recognize this long after he joined/funded Tesla). Since biodiversity collapse is happening now and keeps accelerating (NB: world leaders are only starting to work on CO2 emissions when biodiversity is dropping at a faster rate than temperature are rising...), I doubt Elon will change his position early enough, mostly because all his projects will be at the forefront of the new main threat. We'll see...
As a federal research ecologist, your conclusion here is wrong on many levels. There will be no biodiversity left to collapse unless we first get climate change under control. Doing so via a clean energy revolution will also eliminate the majority of environmentally destructive fossil fuel projects and accompanying infrastructure. As laboratory grown meat develops & gains consumer confidence/preference, it will be a major boon to biodiversity by greatly reducing the numbers of domestic livestock on the landscape & the huge crop acreages where produce is raised simply to be fed to cattle. it will take decades for the economics and landuse practices to play out but if we can make it through the climate bottleneck I suspect we'll see major rewilding of many agricultural landscapes later this century & that will go a long way towards stemming losses of biodiversity.

As a federal research ecologist, your conclusion here is wrong on many levels. There will be no biodiversity left to collapse unless we first get climate change under control. Doing so via a clean energy revolution will also eliminate the majority of environmentally destructive fossil fuel projects and accompanying infrastructure. As laboratory grown meat develops & gains consumer confidence/preference, it will be a major boon to biodiversity by greatly reducing the numbers of domestic livestock on the landscape & the huge crop acreages where produce is raised simply to be fed to cattle. it will take decades for the economics and landuse practices to play out but if we can make it through the climate bottleneck I suspect we'll see major rewilding of many agricultural landscapes later this century & that will go a long way towards stemming losses of biodiversity.
Now if someone has a crystal ball and knows who the winner(s) in the laboratory grown meat & grains consumer market will be that would be a great investment. I'd bite. Any physics first principles thinking in play here?

At the risk of skirting an as off-topic deemed topic (again) -- are you really advocating for waiting for control of climate until re-populating wilderness? With exactly what diversity, may we ask? Pollinators may well be extinct by then, for eg.
What then -- "Let them eat cake"?
No. Just No.

End of file from me.

Now if someone has a crystal ball and knows who the winner(s) in the laboratory grown meat & grains consumer market will be that would be a great investment. I'd bite. Any physics first principles thinking in play here?
I agree but I think it's hard yet to identify who will be the Tesla in this new industry. Keeping an eye on it though. Last two major investments I want to make are in Starlink & an as of yet unknown in the synthetic meat arena

I agree but I think it's hard yet to identify who will be the Tesla in this new industry. Keeping an eye on it though. Last two major investments I want to make are in Starlink & an as of yet unknown in the synthetic meat arena
Well if you have any thoughts on a good investment in the future please post it here
What other tech stock to consider?

Agree with your timeline. Right now we are having water quantity and quality issues in addition to wildfires, bad air, and migration of new viruses(ie. Covid and its mutations). We are close to running out of time. I don't care if they give unions more money(but please not for Hybrids(with gas engines) although like the coal industries the auto industries won't survive so give them new jobs or just pay them from the subsidies given to the fossil fuel industries as this avoids the middle men. I believe the UAW only has 150,000 jobs and Tesla alone has close to 100,000 plus the many sub industries who employ many thousands.
Tackling Climate Change means not burning fossil fuels at all. When I see some(not all) conservationists or Democrats complain and see them driving ICE vehicles the hypocrisy stinks to the high troposphere. Actions speak louder than words.
We all are solar and EV's (Tesla is the only viable option IMO) and even use electric chainsaws and snow throwers. It is so easy, saves $, and is a tiny carbon footprint.
I thought the new administration was smarter than what I see happening now. I am more than disappointed although I don't know their strategy.
I like what Kimbal Musk is doing and helping feed people in the cities. Huge Kudos to Elon Musk for his donations($50 million) to help childhood cancers.
We are not eating much meat at all. We eat Spirulina from Hawaii(Cyanotech sells it in Glass)which has 60% protein and many vitamins. Protecting the oceans that makes 50% of our oxygen is crucial so there is that issue with all the plastic crap and runoff from agriculture.
Getting people to agree by overcoming their own biases ain't easy. As Mark Twain said, It isn't what you don't know that gets you into trouble, its what you think you know for sure

Reactions: ClimateOptimst
My first EV is a HYBRID! :eek:

Part Battery power, part Meat Sack power :cool:

Levo.jpg

Thanks Elon!

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Tryna catchup here, but wasn't it Heinz that had 57 varieties? :p
The original flavors when Baskin-Robbins first opened in 1945 were:[3]

• Banana Nut Fudge
  • Black Walnut
  • Burgundy Cherry