Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that to extract the best flavour coffee needs to be 209 F when percolated. Hotter than 209 releases the chemicals that cause a bitter taste. Of course, this doesn't apply to instant coffee.
I think most coffee snobs say about 205F. I'm a coffee snob and expert taster (true story), but I don't worry about the temp. I brew with a Moka Pot and it makes fantastic coffee. The Moka Pot works off vapor pressure and I don't know how hot the water is when it pushes through the grinds.

Dear Senator Blumenthal,

After you are finished debating Tesla's "Full Self Driving" nomenclature, I request you please focus your attention on the CDC--the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The U.S. government is misleading its citizens because the agency has not and does not achieve its stated advertising goals of disease control and prevention. Indeed, decades of evidence prove just the opposite. Since its inception, obesity, heart disease, diabetes, COPD, cancers, mental illness and a whole slew of new pharmacological addictions and "diseases of despair" have continued to increase unabated and overwhelm our hospitals. After decades of vaccines and antibiotics, we still have not only the same deadly infectious agents, but now we have new, untreatable superbugs like methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, multi-drug resistant Clostridium difficile, and vancomycin resistant enterococcus. It is further discouraging to note that, according to the CDC, today's children have a lower life expectancy than their parents due to preventable diseases of excess like obesity and diabetes.

As a 13-year healthcare veteran in clinical laboratory science, I would like to suggest a new name: CDM -- Centers for Disease Manufacturing and Proliferation. It is a more apt description of a regulatory body that is run by medical industry insiders for the medical industry. As us healthcare workers say, "Profits are our purpose." (most hospitals have some tired variation in their mission statement of "Patients are our purpose")

I sincerely hope that after you've investigated Tesla, a company that does much for public health/environment through their work on decarbonizing our economy and making our energy and transportation systems renewable and clean, you will launch an investigation into the U.S. government's deceptive marketing and overstating of the capabilities of the CDC.

C8944CBD-BA5C-4615-BDAE-BA1F2403B955.png

C9C01B3D-02DD-4ACD-82A6-9C36A4A5B22A.jpeg

59C1F81D-9BCE-4CBB-9DC4-ED97BCEB0EF2.jpeg

Sorry...I had to. I'm dating myself here, but I watched every episode as a kid.

Dan

I watched every episode as a stoned college kid. That and H R Puffinstuff...get it puffing stuff. It was a cult in my frat... The TV room probably was the cooolest place to be on a Saturday Morning.

It's only a "fact" amongst people who don't know what a "fact" really is. Political idealogues. The fact that something has never happened, does not mean it can't happen. That's a fact.

China is constantly changing as evidenced by the fact that Tesla was the first private western company allowed to operate in China without a >50% partnership with a Chinese owned company. There will be further changes. Don't become constrained by "facts" that are not even facts.
Facts are at a certain level...facts. The OP was correct given everything know about development. China has not done anything extraordinary to date to show any ability to break any historical patterns. Quite the opposite. We make predictions based upon past behavior. If China had no past behavior than one would view future development as highly uncertain. It would be high risk to make any bet. Rather China has a significant history and it is a mixed bag and not the utopia of endless growth- simply a fact. The example given by the OP is that China's age situation may already have put it in a difficult spot.

Of course the age issue was exacerbated by forced sterilization of millions and millions of women and likely millions of abortions (not getting into the horror of those practices). Simply a factual statement. Not ideological.

Claiming that the OP is somehow a political ideologue when bringing up facts backed by dozens and dozens of dissertations and huge amounts of well established economic development theory is actually showing that you are in fact a political ideologue. Only a political ideologue is scared of a simple discussion based on decades of research. There is plenty to criticize in the USA and we do a plenty good job doing it. Insinuating that any criticism of China is political ideology is in my view, disgraceful and an acceptance of genocide, against muslim Uyghurs, racism, sterilization, and a myriad of other evils. I don't accept these evils in the USA, in Rwanda or in China. I don't apologize for them either.

Which brings us back to economic risks. If China's apologists and leadership refuse to allow open discussions and run around the world trying to intimidate those that do...well that to me is a business risk.

Facts are at a certain level...facts. The OP was correct given everything know about development. China has not done anything extraordinary to date to show any ability to break any historical patterns. Quite the opposite. We make predictions based upon past behavior. If China had no past behavior than one would view future development as highly uncertain. It would be high risk to make any bet. Rather China has a significant history and it is a mixed bag and not the utopia of endless growth- simply a fact. The example given by the OP is that China's age situation may already have put it in a difficult spot.

Exactly, you said it yourself, it's a prediction, not a fact. I have no problem calling it a prediction because predictions are not facts.

Of course the age issue was exacerbated by forced sterilization of millions and millions of women and likely millions of abortions (not getting into the horror of those practices). Simply a factual statement. Not ideological.

Claiming that the OP is somehow a political ideologue when bringing up facts backed by dozens and dozens of dissertations and huge amounts of well established economic development theory is actually showing that you are in fact a political ideologue. Only a political ideologue is scared of a simple discussion based on decades of research. There is plenty to criticize in the USA and we do a plenty good job doing it. Insinuating that any criticism of China is political ideology is in my view, disgraceful and an acceptance of genocide, against muslim Uyghurs, racism, sterilization, and a myriad of other evils. I don't accept these evils in the USA, in Rwanda or in China. I don't apologize for them either.

Which brings us back to economic risks. If China's apologists and leadership refuse to allow open discussions and run around the world trying to intimidate those that do...well that to me is a business risk.

My claim is the storyline that the OP bought into is the construct of political idealogues. You don't necessarily need to be one to be fooled by it. Some of those political idealogues actually believe it themselves. That doesn't make it a fact, it's a prediction or an opinion. It could even turn out to be true (in this case). Even that wouldn't make it a fact. People have been debating political-economic theories for centuries but there is too much variety and not enough data to make the claim that authoritarian rule cannot be economically prosperous. And that's coming from someone who despises authoritarian systems.

Netflix wasn't imagined by anybody in the '90s.
I think it was.

Microsoft was working on video-streaming servers that were code-named Tiger in the late 90s: The Tiger Video Fileserver - Microsoft Research

And of course there is the 1999 Qwest commercial about streaming movies:

There were others working on streaming video services back then, but I don't remember all of the details.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
First order approximation, overbuilding solar and wind is for the purpose of filling in some of those intermittency periods. I.e. today in Portland, OR it is an unsurprisingly gray day (we get those this time of the year). But it's not really bad, so today might be a 20 kwh day from our panel system rather than the 60 kwh we get on a good summer day. Assuming that satisfied our daily needs (60 kwh) then a 3x system would have us covered today.

So overbuilding provides enough power for the always-on uses over more hours and days of the year. Of course that hypothetical 3x system would be generating 2x of need over some of the summer days, and nowhere near enough over some of the winter days (really bad days can stay under 1 kwh from our system).

One of the uses that's being hypothesized for that surplus energy is the one you mention - hydrolyzers to make hydrogen. One purpose for that hydrogen is energy storage. I tend to think that hydrogen storage for energy shifting is a bad idea, though only because hydrogen is such a difficult thing to store. Bind on a carbon molecule and you can get methane (CH4) or a nitrogen molecule (NH3) for ammonia. I know that we know how to use methane to make electricity, and if the manufacture is strictly renewable energy based, then the carbon cycle is net-zero. I don't know if ammonia has energy storage properties - it clearly has industrial applications - but its another option for something that can be made from air and excess energy. (I also don't know the degree to which those chemical processes can be shut down and restarted - so very, very much that I don't know).

An idea from Australia that applies anywhere - bring the big renewable energy to new mining projects. These tend to be far away from the electrical grid, and are energy intensive. So they truck in diesel to run local generators. Replace that with a solar and wind farm with battery and diesel generator backup and the mine can cut its carbon intensity immensely.

Even better - build a LOT more energy and you can do the ore processing much more locally and ship raw iron (or whatever) instead of iron ore (rock with a relatively high fraction of iron). More local jobs, less transport, and less transport energy.

An idea that occurred to me - use the excess energy to run desalination plants. The obvious use is municipal water sources for cities close to coasts. But what about making enough to pipe water inland for ag irrigation? Or pipe it further inland to dump into rivers to keep them flowing year round; might need to chill it to make sure you've got the right water temp :). Even the idea of making fresh water, pumping it far inland, chilling it to the right mountain melt temp, and pouring it out to make or sustain a river - totally ridiculous. And yet maybe not so ridiculous for the US West.

So very, very much that can be done with surplus energy.

And I think this is really the core idea. Our whole energy system in the history of the human race is built around the idea of producing the energy you need, and not more. Excess energy is wasted energy, and there are raw materials that need to be mined or created in some fashion, so excess energy is an important wasted resource. With solar or wind energy though (or at least solar), the consequence of overproduction is that some portion of the planet is shaded that didn't need to be in that moment.

I think that this will be the hardest mental model for humanity to change - excess / overproduced energy is a good thing in the evolving energy system. The clever scientists, engineers, and business people that will figure out how to make use of it - they'll come along whether we can imagine it today or not.

Netflix wasn't imagined by anybody in the '90s. And now a household that can't get arbitrarily large amounts of streaming video delivered for a flat rate monthly access fee is at an important disadvantage to the rest of society.
Ammonia especially is critical to having an advanced industrial civilization with wealth, health and prosperity for all.

At a minimum we can expect to need annual supply of about 200 million metrics tons of ammonia to feed the 10 billion human population expected by demographers by 2050. Ammonia supplies the majority of humanity's dietary protein. And ammonia is also an indispensable chemical precursor for other industrial applications.

Right now, ammonia production is utterly dependent on hydrogen produced from natural gas. Surplus electrical energy from solar overbuild used to power hydrolyzers to produce green hydrogen is the clear path to sustainability.

"Fertilizer
In the US as of 2019, approximately 88% of ammonia was used as fertilizers either as its salts, solutions or anhydrously"

"Even though ammonia production currently creates 1.8% of global CO2 emissions, a 2020 Royal Society report[88] claims that "green" ammonia can be produced by using low-carbon hydrogen (blue hydrogen and green hydrogen). Total decarbonization of ammonia production and the accomplishment of net-zero targets are possible by 2050."

"Mass production of ammonia mostly uses the Haber–Bosch process, a gas phase reaction between hydrogen (H2) and nitrogen (N2)"