Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW 10.69.1.1 crossed the double yellow on a sharpish left near by house that previous versions always stayed on the correct side of the double yellow for (but did the turn in a safe, but jerky, fashion).... .69.1.1 was smooth, but dangerously wrong, in comparison.

I expect with oncoming traffic it may well have mitigated safely, but it was still objectively worse, safety wise, than previous version.

So this might be a stopped clock thing for Dan on which he got lucky.
So it turned too sharply?
Or are you in a RHD area?

So it turned too sharply?
Or are you in a RHD area?

Too sharply.

It's a 35 mph road, with a sharp left curve to the road... normally it's jerky but stays roughly in the correct lane making it on FSDBeta.

With 10.69.1.1 it was much smoother but when halfway into the opposing lane doing it (no oncoming traffic thankfully).

The other time it did anything different than 10.12 was soon after- it comes to a stop sign, where the correct route is to turn right which almost immediately crosses railroad tracks.

Normally it stops at the sign, waits a bit too long for anyone behind me, but then confidently makes the right turn and continues straight.

On .69.1.1 it instead stopped briefly at the sign, then went into creeping for visibility mode THROUGH the turn at like 3 mph... showing the creep line just before the railroad crossing, despite the fact by the time it would've reached than it'd be through the turn entirely with no traffic control ahead-- -so after it did that for several seconds annoying those behind me also turning I had to manually intervene with the pedal.

There was one other 69.1.1 failure but it was in a location I hadn't previously driven so can't say if it was a failure speciifc to that version... there were 2 right turn lanes on to a highway... FSD got into the left lane to stop at the light.

After it turned green it turned right, but went into the RIGHT lane of the on-ramp- no signal, it just turned from the left-most of 2 turn lanes into the right of the on-ramp.

(extra dumb because at the end of the on-ramp it needs to merge left onto the highway).

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
I'd weigh the risk of IDRA being bought by someone else in my vetting process...as well as them not moving fast enough for my innovation curve.
Indeed, I caveated innovation and the reality that they are not the sole source for the equipment (though lead the design):
As long as Tesla stays in the front on IDRA orders, and IDRA keeps innovating to meet Tesla's needs, there is no great advantage to be gained from buying them.

IDRA is a casting machine design and integration subsidiary of L.K. Technology (which also makes the presses)

Reactions: UltradoomY
ON PV PANEL PLACEMENT

I just had a 5am brain zap. It’s not necessary to recapitulate or verify Mr Musk’s 10,000 sq mi claim (he said “100 x 100 miles” which is a number that only Alaska (not even Texas) could swallow, as a contiguous piece, and of course our insolation doesn’t pencil out).

BUT - I just realized I can “provide” a contiguous 500 sq. mi. tract (350-525, to put bounds) - within the very finest insolation of the nation - and NOT affect even one desert tortoise, cactus or other such stumbling blocks.

And by contiguous, I also mean appropriately shaped. No spaghetti here, like covering roadways or canals, which present inefficient wiring problems, among many others.

But there is more. I think the overwhelming - 95% is not a stretch - majority of environmentalists, whether soi-disant or professionally hard-tempered, AND of farmers, ranchers and their ilk, would be highly supportive of such a pogram.

Lastly, acquiring rights to the tract could not be easier - period.

Even such a vast plan represents a small fraction of the 10,000 sqmi. total - just five percent. But no one ahould desire ALL production in a single location.

So…I’ve provided all the necessary clues. Where is it?

More at 11.
White Sands

• Love
Reactions: UltradoomY
Like the idea, it would help with evaporation and dust spread, and I did think of it, but ruled it out due to the given criteria.

No spaghetti here, like covering roadways or canals, which present inefficient wiring problems, among many others.
Just a 30+ foot deep corrosive body of water...
Covering a canal with dry land on both sides that can be spanned by an arch is much easier to maintain than a raft or pier. Not sure why linear configuration would be a detriment either versus routing out from the center of a square.

This:
and NOT affect even one desert tortoise, cactus or other such stumbling blocks.
Is not this:
A tilapia still survives in the water;

Once a winter migratory bird haven, now only some shorebirds and a very, very few waterfowl winter there. Shorebird species would not be affected; one could suppose waterfowl might be positively affected by the emplacement of panels, as these never would cover 100% of any area. Regardless, both as individuals and as species, the dissuasion from feeding on lake vegetation, vertebrates or invertebrates would be a positive development.
Plus, I'm sure the birds would love to rest and 'unload' on the panels.

re @MSMike‘s post: I do not dislike the concept of covering canals but, as demonstrated elsewhere and as I wrote earlier this morning, their topology makes for an inefficient solar farm. Wiring for any source (as well as for batteries as repository) needs to performed in a combination of series and parallel, and the linear shape of a canal plays harry with that necessity.

Strings in series route to inverter, or use micro inverters and then bus the AC off the field. Either way, a square/ rectangle needs the power bussed to edges which is the same as an inverter every width/2 meters of canal. If DC voltage > AC, its better to run equivalent gauge string cables than convert in place.

Batteries should stay on land at a convenient grid location. If charge current = discharge current anywhere between source and load has same efficiency. If also a grid buffer, closed to grid is better. to solar is better.

A $20 share from presplits is $1.33 post splits then the current price of $300 divided by 1.33 is about 225x increase.

I'm not sure where he is getting the rest. I think he got the math wrong but lets let someone double check the math and see if we get two answers that agree.
Share from then is 15 shares now * $300 = $4,500.
Unless a different currency, but Canadian dollars aren't that devalued...

Weak try - the philosophers/ saints of old knew better, from Abraham, Moses, Socrates, Lao Tse, Confucius, Zarathustra, Mohammed, Guru Nanak ..

Or from one of the better teachers who came to the West, Chogyam Trungpa "...The three poisons are passion, aggression, and ignorance or delusion .. "

True. Am replacing a 2015 model S with a model Y performance, in red, with FSD. The price is about the same!
TBH the performance Y is overpriced, if I was more price sensitive or was assured I'd get the Long Range tomorrow, I'd cancel my order. I'm looking forward to a time when Tesla can drop the model Y prices everywhere and get closer to being truly mass market.
Something tells me that production levels in 2023 are going to be insane and my wish will come true :D

Curious, how much are you getting for your 2015 model s? I have a 17 s w/ fsd / fully loaded etc., and runs out of warranty in the next 3 years. Trying to figure out what to do - I really don't want to ever trade it in at all as I love the car, but just don't want to own it while being too close and/or over warranty. Hell, I may just keep it and if I need to replace the battery pay the ~20k for a new battery b/c the car just runs great, but then got to consider the motors (AWD). I don't know. First world problems!

Curious, how much are you getting for your 2015 model s? I have a 17 s w/ fsd / fully loaded etc., and runs out of warranty in the next 3 years. Trying to figure out what to do - I really don't want to ever trade it in at all as I love the car, but just don't want to own it while being too close and/or over warranty. Hell, I may just keep it and if I need to replace the battery pay the ~20k for a new battery b/c the car just runs great, but then got to consider the motors (AWD). I don't know. First world problems!

webuyanycar offers me about £34k, so just under half what it cost me in 2015. I am way out of warranty but it hasn't mattered one bit. I personally paid for a screen upgrade to get a better UI (despite it being an AP1 model), but nothing else has gone wrong or needed fixing. You are nowhere close to having to care about replacing your battery. Its going to be fine for another 5 years minimum. Don't worry about it :D. And the motors will outlast the battery, and maybe you :D

As a non-native english speaker, I share your concern about not understanding moderator messages. It would be helpful if those messages were written in clear plain simple English. Not only for the non-native English speakers, but also for the native speakers.
I’ve made this same remark many years ago on this forum, but nothing changed.
Like Bible being written in latin, so no one understanding what God actually said ;)