Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You meant power; however, your statement was not necessarily wrong.

If final load voltage stays the same (step down DC-DC in module), a wire one fourth the crossection (four times the resistence) at four times the voltage can provide two times the current (or power) to the load with the same self heating (loss).

W_loss=(4R)*(1/2*I)^2=R*I^2
W_new=(4V)*(1/2I)=2*W_old

I see what you're saying but do you think a higher system voltage is a viable option if the accessories are still running on 12 volts? I was under the impression that a higher system voltage would pretty much imply the loads had been converted to run on the higher voltage natively.

I'm not sure why your response was moved out of main. Personally, I think the how, why and when of Tesla switching to a new system voltage would be of huge importance to the way Tesla is viewed by the auto industry and by investors and is too important to ignore. I'm getting pretty fed up with the heavy hand of the mods (well, mostly one mod to be honest) as well as the direct attacks to my character.

Last edited:
Reactions: DragonWatch
I see what you're saying but do you think a higher system voltage is a viable option if the accessories are still running on 12 volts? I was under the impression that a higher system voltage would pretty much imply the loads had been converted to run on the higher voltage natively.

I'm not sure why your response was moved out of main. Personally, I think the how, why and when of Tesla switching to a new system voltage would be of huge importance to the way Tesla is viewed by the auto industry and by investors and is too important to ignore. I'm getting pretty fed up with the heavy hand of the mods (well, mostly one mod to be honest) as well as the direct attacks to my character.
I put my post here originally. I do OT a lot 😅

Some of the patents called out modules that wire harness over to existing end points, so there may be legacy 12-16V support.
Not much in the car needs 12V anymore (power plug excepted). LED lighting would love to be fed from a voltage higher than its forward voltage. Most motor are brushless, so those can adapt, but the switching devices may not have a high enough voltage rating to connect directly.

I put my post here originally. I do OT a lot 😅

Some of the patents called out modules that wire harness over to existing end points, so there may be legacy 12-16V support.
Not much in the car needs 12V anymore (power plug excepted). LED lighting would love to be fed from a voltage higher than its forward voltage. Most motor are brushless, so those can adapt, but the switching devices may not have a high enough voltage rating to connect directly.
Considering the most common use for the 12v power plug is adding USB ports, is it really needed at this point?

Maybe the sole remaining use is those tire inflators.

Funny thing, last night I was rolling out after dinner and someone flagged me down looking for a jump start on his car. I honestly have no idea how I would jump start another car or if it’s safe for Tesla electronics. It wasn’t a topic I was going to try and figure it out on a sub-freezing November evening while my wife was waiting for me so I just told him I couldn’t do it in my car.

Reactions: UltradoomY
Considering the most common use for the 12v power plug is adding USB ports, is it really needed at this point?

Funny thing, last night I was rolling out after dinner and someone flagged me down looking for a jump start on his car. I honestly have no idea how I would jump start another car or if it’s safe for Tesla electronics. It wasn’t a topic I was going to try and figure it out on a sub-freezing November evening while my wife was waiting for me so I just told him I couldn’t do it in my car.

A 12V outlet is still a good idea for the reason you mention (inflators), but also for inverters, at least for EV's that do not come with 120V outlets. Some laptops cannot run from a USB port still. Once cars transition to system voltages higher than 12V, there will be inverters and inflators and other accessories that run on that higher voltage.

12V is also used for 3rd party dash cams. Along with general car accessories, coolers, heated blankets.

A 12V outlet is still a good idea for the reason you mention (inflators), but also for inverters, at least for EV's that do not come with 120V outlets. Some laptops cannot run from a USB port still. Once cars transition to system voltages higher than 12V, there will be inverters and inflators and other accessories that run on that higher voltage.
I'd vastly prefer they installed 120v outlets for accessories. Almost everything which can be powered by 12v has an easy 120v substitute. Might was well retire this dated architecture entirely.

Mattress inflators as well.

Interesting, can GM dealerships refuse Teslas?
I doubt anyone has tried to get an inspection at a car dealership unless they were already there for other service. It's a five minute procedure at the inspection-only places. Minimum one hour at any dealer or Tesla Service Centre. And because it's only $7 for a BEV, it's not worth the dealership's (or the owner's) time.

Forward Observing

For a layperson military tactical understanding of Russia vs Ukraine ~ 2022, my I suggest watching Doctor Zhivago. Three hours long, but a cold reminder of the real life in the region. The campaign between the White and Red forces are little different today. The end game may or may not be much different.

Worth the watch.

Cheers

Just watched the trailer on Youtube. So, kinda the Russian "Fargo"? ;)

Cheers!

Reactions: DragonWatch
Some fun Friday stats:

1668800737948.png

We're trending in the wrong direction...as we're getting close to dying as often as we're breeding.

1668801179705.png

Some fun Friday stats:

View attachment 875953

We're trending in the wrong direction...as we're getting close to dying as often as we're breeding.

View attachment 875960
I don’t know. That looks just about perfect to me. People suck.

Selling equity to buy leaps (i.e., options) is a loser's game. Just because the time to expiration is longer doesn't mean you have a better chance of making money.
I'm not sure if you are just comparing leaps vs short term options with the expiration comment, or if you are being super deep in that stock (longest expiration) does not guarantee profit either.

Reactions: ZeApelido