Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps this is an idea that might help Tesla in Deutschland. Set up a brewery on site with a Biergarten and maybe grow some hops. Invite all locals for an Oktoberfest. You could have Elon's brother, Kimbal provide some produce, perhaps setting up his produce production there. Oh yeah, and a Tesla restaurant.
This might endear many people to Tesla and speed up the mission. For example:

The water that tastes like a critter died in it a week ago sold well (Tesquila), I can only imagine how many cases 'mericans would ship home if GigaBerlin sold GigaBier.
And to push it more towards the stock perspective... FSD would insure a safe trip back to the Hostel... if not just hit camping mode.

Whilst Climate change is clearly a worry, i'm starting to get seriously worried about the nutritional intake of TMC members...😆

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
The water that tastes like a critter died in it a week ago sold well (Tesquila), I can only imagine how many cases 'mericans would ship home if GigaBerlin sold GigaBier.
And to push it more towards the stock perspective... FSD would insure a safe trip back to the Hostel... if not just hit camping mode.
They moved this comment. So the SP has nothing to do with Tesla Restaurant or FSD or the water issues. Water for beer is high priority there. Odd.

They moved this comment. So the SP has nothing to do with Tesla Restaurant or FSD or the water issues. Water for beer is high priority there. Odd.
To bring people up to speed and it was even posted here:

Nothing to do with SP???

Another: Oh Look, Another Billionaire Is Getting Residency in New Zealand in Case of Societal Collapse

I'm very glad there's a person like Elon Musk around after reading these articles. Also, very glad to have put my investment into Tesla in order to further its growth to avert climate change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am doing everything within my power to become carbon neutral. I have pretty much given up red meat; about once a month, I treat myself to a filet mignon.

I just downloaded this map from Bloomberg.com:

8A9F1384-0FF3-46AE-A22E-5B0CBAB61437.png

I hate the thought of giving up my monthly steak dinner. It’s time for me to walk the walk.

I am doing everything within my power to become carbon neutral. I have pretty much given up red meat; about once a month, I treat myself to a filet mignon.

View attachment 694901ll the
I hate the thought of giving up my monthly steak dinner. It’s time for me to walk the walk.
Not sure this is the right thread but WTH, keep us all grounded on what is truly important. Bravo on the goal, let me help! This is a map of land use in the lower 48. First it is highly inaccurate created by someone that has no idea what they are looking at. They have nothing for BLM or Dept of Interior or USFS lands- they try to categorize into use types-badly. However, this is very much my domain of knowledge. Since these agencies are the largest landowners in many states....WTF. Cow/Pasture range is very misleading. I guess this is where they chunk all of the BLM/Dept of Interior and USFS properties that don't look like timberland. Usually these are multiple use land assets that may or may not be leased for grazing and may or may not be grazed. Ignore all of the animal use points because ...ALL land in NA has been and IS grazed by something. Either Deer, Antelope, Elk, Bison, Moose or other large herbivores. If cows are eating the biomass it is producing just the same impact on the environment as Bison or Deer, ie no change from natural state. Removing cows does not change the amount of animal mass/acre eating biomass.

Nature provides a supply of energy and nature provides a means to consume the energy. Something will graze these lands (and they all are methane creating fart monkeys). FYI, they also have no category for Hay- one of the largest land covers in many states. Do you know what happens to much of the hay? Nothing. It is cut as a tax scheme to achieve land use tax abatements because it qualifies the land as agricultural. In really bad years-all feed to something but in good years mountains of hay just rots. Cutting hay, moving hay, that all consumes fuels that create carbon...except well managed hay fields are deep sinks or carbon so who knows what the real carbon impact may be.

So, if you are eating only pastured beef that is not finished with grain you are good as we humans can get, eat all that meat you want there is no impact on the background carbon state (but watch your heart). Perhaps try deer- very lean, strike a deal with a hunter that does deer control hunting, they always have far too much meat- in most states we have too many deer nowadays. The livestock feed is a good point to reduce but it will have huge impacts on rural economics, will shifting away from grain ethanol (as we move to EVS) be offset in rural economies by shifting away from corporate grain feed animals? Often the socio economic systems linking livestock feed grains/ethanol/feed exports/food we eat (like WTF does this mean-like it is from some intern told to make a map that has never worked or lived anywhere other than a city)/horses/sheet goats/etc. Maple syrup is one of the funniest. Like they can tell how many acres of forest are tapped. Oh wait those forest have deer- oh no those deer are farting methane. Oh no, moose too maybe, talk about a methane monster. "I apologize, can't hide the sarcasm or scorn for the map creator/publisher". Anyway these systems are complex and tightly connected. Just moving the ethanol grain out of the system (thank goodness) will create massive disruptions that may produce unforeseen and negative consequences. It's going to be a very tough 20 years for the American farmer.

Anyhow, good on you for doing your part. I applaud your effort and humanity. Help a good local farmer out that farms in a sustainable way and buy your meats from one you can know and support. They can often even have it butchered and sent right to you.

Last edited:

View attachment 694901
Informative map. Thanks.

Soil with good tilth (~= good health) is a great carbon sink. Alas, modern monoculture farming does not promote good soil tilth.

Rewilding of farmland/rangeland can benefit the soil. Rewilded land can also be ranched with humans as the top predator so to speak. I don’t eat a lot of red meat anymore either and as often as not choose bison. You remind me to order from rewilded sources when available if I am going to eat it. I do also eat the artificial meat products which are getting better.

Below are a couple of links to and blurbs about autobiographical stories by folks doing sustainable ranching and rewilding that I enjoyed reading.

"For twenty years Dan O’Brien struggled to make ends meet on his cattle ranch in South Dakota. But when a neighbor invited him to lend a hand at the annual buffalo roundup, O’Brien was inspired to convert his own ranch, the Broken Heart, to buffalo. Starting with thirteen calves, ‘short-necked, golden balls of wool,’ O’Brien embarked on a journey that returned buffalo to his land for the first time in more than a century and a half.

Buffalo for the Broken Heart is at once a tender account of the buffaloes’ first seasons on the ranch and an engaging lesson in wildlife ecology. Whether he’s describing the grazing pattern of the buffalo, the thrill of watching a falcon home in on its prey, or the comical spectacle of a buffalo bull wallowing in the mud, O’Brien combines a novelist’s eye for detail with a naturalist’s understanding to create an enriching, entertaining narrative."

"An inspiring story about what happens when 3,500 acres of land, farmed for centuries, is left to return to the wild, and about the wilder, richer future a natural landscape can bring.

For years Charlie Burrell and his wife, Isabella Tree, farmed Knepp Castle Estate and struggled to turn a profit. By 2000, with the farm facing bankruptcy, they decided to try something radical. They would restore Knepp’s 3,500 acres to the wild. Using herds of free-roaming animals to mimic the actions of the megafauna of the past, they hoped to bring nature back to their depleted land. But what would the neighbors say, in the manicured countryside of modern England where a blade of grass out of place is considered an affront?

In the face of considerable opposition the couple persisted with their experiment and soon witnessed an extraordinary change. New life flooded into Knepp, now a breeding hotspot for rare and threatened species like turtle doves, peregrine falcons, and purple emperor butterflies.

The fabled English nightingale sings again.

At a time of looming environmental disaster, Wilding is an inspiring story of a farm, a couple, and a community transformed. Isabella Tree’s wonderful book brings together science, natural history, a fair bit of drama, and—ultimately—hope."

Removing cows does not change the amount of animal mass/acre eating biomass.

25-30 million bison in 1600 vs 95 million cattle today.

Plus the 75 million hogs today which were not native to the US

Let’s connect a few dots on pickup truck sentiment, agricultural land use, and EV policy.

Consider that Iowa farmers produced 2.58 billion bushels of corn in 2019 of which 99% is "field corn" (as opposed to sweet corn which is the corn people eat on the cob or as canned corn). Between 4% and 8% of Iowans‘ income derives directly from agriculture.

57% of Iowa field corn is used for ethanol production.

33% is used directly as animal feed.

A small portion is used for corn cereal, corn starch, corn oil and corn syrup for human consumption.

97% of Iowa’s 86,900 farms are family owned. I expect nearly all of the farms use one or more pickups and many other folks are going to be influenced by those owners.

The folks directly and indirectly deriving income from corn in the Corn Belt will probably be less able to afford any new pickup without a robust market for corn.

Many of these farmers are likely already hostile to EV’s. They probably and realistically consider EV’s a threat to their income. The trend towards artificial meat is also a threat. Bans or limits on corn syrup sweetened fizzy drinks are like salt on a wound.

So, it isn’t just the legacy auto and fossil fuel industries that are challenged by EV’s. Corn farmers undoubtedly see a threat.

As we forecast the course of the disruption and as we watch the politics around EV’s or see EV’s and climate change entangled in the culture wars, it is well to remember that people’s livelihoods are at stake and that they have political sway.

My own feeling is that the transition will be sharp and that pickup preferences will shift more rapidly than some here suggest. However, I also think that implementing policies and offering taxpayer support to help the corn farmers switch to crops and practices that maximize their soil’s ability to sequester carbon is a win all around. (And there’s a good place to put your shoulder to the wheel for those so inclined)

edit- For those interested:

Sustainability | E2

and

Last edited:
Many of these farmers are likely already hostile to EV’s. They probably and realistically consider EV’s a threat to their income. The trend towards artificial meat is also a threat. Bans or limits on corn syrup sweetened fizzy drinks are like salt on a wound.
So, it isn’t just the legacy auto and fossil fuel industries that are challenged by EV’s. Corn farmers undoubtedly see a threat.

My own feeling is that the transition will be sharp and that pickup preferences will shift more rapidly than some here suggest. However, I also think that implementing policies and offering taxpayer support to help the corn farmers switch to crops and practices that maximize their soil’s ability to sequester carbon is a win all around. (And there’s a good place to put your shoulder to the wheel for those so inclined)

My family has been farming corn in Iowa for 3 generations so maybe I can give a ground level perspective here.

2 years ago the Iowa corn growers association did a tour with our congressperson and the Secretary of Agriculture. They happened to choose my Dad’s farm as one of the sites, so I was invited to join. Almost all the conversation was pushing on the Secretary regarding the small refinery EPA waivers for minimum ethanol blending into gasoline. (Trumps EPA was anti-ethanol, or more accurately pro oil.)

As a long time follower of this sub and someone who has a local business in corn country, I took the opportunity to bring up EV during a discussion with the head guys at the Iowa Corn Growers regarding EV and the impact on demand for corn ethanol. I asked specifically if there was any plan for replacing the demand lost due to the EV transition. The president of the board laughed and said his plan was to drink a margarita on the beach because he would be long-retired before any significant impact would be felt. He was not an old guy. It should be noted the board members are farmers, not executive types, so have skin in the game. I can say with confidence that 2 years ago, there was no perceived threat by corn growers. I believe this holds true today as well.

Regarding the EV pickup adoption, my dad farms with 4 guys. 2 have reservations for cybertruck including him. He also has a Model X on order since January of this year.

The Semi is another matter. Last summer I was talking about it with my dad and uncle as they were working on repairs for one of their 7 semi tractors. Describing the efficiency, acceleration, and low maintenance of the EV drivetrain and how much that could benefit them in a semi. They both were going to put down a deposit on the Tesla semi, but it was $20,000 non-refundable. I told them to but TSLA instead and sell the stock to buy the semi once available, as it would be awhile before production could happen due to battery constraints. Dad is still pissed that his deposit took so long to clear because in the 3 day wait, TSLA went from $950-$1200, but both now have stock and will be almost certainly buyers of at least 1 semi and cybertruck each. This may not be representative of all farmers, but is a beach head into that community. Likely there will be many stories like this.