Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s no red in this image… Just your mind filling in the gaps… Zoom in to see for yourself.

Coke its the real thing.jpg

Cheers!

Why do Italians watch Trading Places every Christmas?

Dec 18, 2020 — Year after year, by popular demand, millions of Italians sit down to watch the dubbed version of the movie, Una Poltrona per Due.

The classic American comedy, a 20th-century take on the tale of the rich man (Dan Aykroyd) and the poor man (Eddie Murphy), has become a fixture in Italy every Christmas.

But what is the proper day to watch Trading Places? Christmas Eve? When's that 'crop report' due?

Cheers!

Last edited:

“In early 2021, emergency department visits in the United States for suspected suicide attempts were 51% higher for adolescent girls and 4% higher for adolescent boys compared to the same time period in early 2019.”

and

"Scientists have proposed various hypotheses to explain these trends. While some believe that the trends in reporting of mental health challenges are partly due to young people becoming more willing to openly discuss mental health concerns, other researchers point to the growing use of digital media, increasing academic pressure limited access to mental health care, health risk behaviors such as alcohol and drug use, and broader stressors such as the 2008 financial crisis, rising income inequality, racism, gun violence, and climate change."

and

"During the pandemic, children, adolescents, and young adults have faced unprecedented challenges. The COVID-19 pandemic has dramatically changed their world, including how they attend school, interact with friends, and receive health care. They missed first days of school, months or even years of in-person schooling, graduation ceremonies, sports competitions, playdates, and time with relatives."

Personally, I think this problem is what Elon Musk is referring to partially (not procreation, but that's a problem too) in regards to a population crisis. If our young generations are being lost due to fear and unrest as well as climate disasters...what future does our species have? The climate change problem needs to be resolved. Human progress brings about joy and inspiration. We're facing a push against that because we're fighting our own environment now due to progress. Best to keep progressing faster and better.

There's a lot more in the advisory.

HA HA HA HA HA

PLEASE don't clutter this thread with healthcare-related postings. As a physician, I could give you horror stories of both Medicare and private insurance. It's not which is better than the other, it's which is the LEAST bad. I personally have seen wastage of hundreds of thousands of dollars on patients by BOTH. And both are insanely inefficient at capital allocation.

Just like Elon said yesterday, the Gov should not be involved in picking winners and losers (paraphrasing), they should just ensure a fair and COMPETITIVE market. Healthcare has ZERO market forces (because prices are not transparent - each player has their own little monopoly - including Uncle SAM). That's the underlying reason why it's so expensive here in the states.

Beyond this, we should move any discussion about gov out of this thread, because:
1) the mods hate it
2) it's getting pretty far off-topic
Least bad and most efficient not far off from each other. All I know is health insurance companies like to give massive salaries to executives and increase profits by denying care.

In general I agree about picking winners and losers, but corporations also like to throw weight around. A former employee of mine worked for JP Morgan and when the financial crisis happened he had employed consultants who worked for me. He told in a conference call where Jamie Dimon told managers that they would take advantage of the situations and make consulting companies suffer.

Least bad and most efficient not far off from each other. All I know is health insurance companies like to give massive salaries to executives and increase profits by denying care.

In general I agree about picking winners and losers, but corporations also like to throw weight around. A former employee of mine worked for JP Morgan and when the financial crisis happened he had employed consultants who worked for me. He told in a conference call where Jamie Dimon told managers that they would take advantage of the situations and make consulting companies suffer.

I never said health insurance companies were the way. I simply said BOTH systems are *sugar*. There are zero market forces at play in either system (no competition on price, no competition by providers, no incentive to innovative - zilch).

Example - when I was practicing, my billing had to support (for either Medicare or private pay patients):
1) office overhead
2) nurse's salary + benefits
3) front office staff salary + benefits
4) medical assistant's salary + benefits
5) medical CODER's salary + benefits
6) medical BILLER's salary + benefits
7) anything left over I might get

Proponents of both systems have not made any proposals to simplify the above. Medicare is inefficient with changes, as all large government entities are, and private health insurance loves their fat cut they get, so they won't back any substantial changes.

Colleagues of mine have quit the above traditional practice in some cases and gone to "concierge only" practices. These eliminate 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 above. When you cut those out, you can cut prices for care DRASTICALLY.

For example, say you have diabetes and want to have coverage by an Endocrinologist (like me) - you would pay me a set fee in Jan and that would cover all your doctor visits (and I come to your home! - or hospital if you are hospitalized) for the year, any emergency call needs (I'm on call 24/7 for my patients), etc. The pricing is actually, out of pocket, LESS than what a patient would pay for all their specialty office co-pays in a year with almost all traditional private insurance plans, plus you get more one-on-one time with me and the nurse (the only real assistant I would need, since paperwork is greatly reduced). For the physician this allows for fewer total patients (less burn-out), more one-on-one time to provide better care, and not worrying on the back-end if you are actually going to get reimbursed for the services you provide (sometimes insurance and Medicare both refuse to pay for services you have already provided). Something like this is not always viable for primary care, but for anyone needing specialty care that doesn't involve procedures (surgery), it's a win win.

Last edited:
I disagree Medicare is far more efficient then Health Insurance. Like 97% of the funds go to healthcare where we had to codify into law that 75% of health insurance premiums had to go into healthcare.

We dont have debt issues. I was showing that judging financial health based on deficit (spending more in a year then you take in) and debt is not a wise choice. Net Worth is a far better judge of financial health. Our Net Worth is about $14M while our debt is $2M. Debt is a tool that can be wisely used. Taking out a loan to fix a hole in your roof is a wise choice. Just like Government taking out debt to combat climate change is a wise choice. The alternative is far more expensive. We both also came from lower middle class families that abhorred debt. We were more educated and realized debt is a tool that can be used wisely.
Saving so that when the roof invariably needs to be replaced, tada! no need to take on debt.

No doubt debt can be used wisely, that’s not actually what the government does, though. That’s the whole point.

You think government does a good job, I think it a bloated beached whale and sucks bananas, as does Elon. He’s the smarter person in the room, I’m going with him on this one.

Yes that explains the volatility in this one as well.

What's remarkable is to notice how our shared social reality works. As humans we evolved pragmatically to believe what was useful moreso than what was truthful. We adopt as truth the truths we perceive are commonly held. So it is recursive. This could be called culture or at least the instinct that allows culture. (Edit: if you run in to someone who believes something on social media that's like flat earth level idiocy realize this is a function of human design to allow for culture which exists to allow for coordination. Groups overpowered small numbers usually regardless of epistemic hygiene. The person is embedded in a culture. They are literally operating as if their life depended on believing what they believe. You won't convince them.)

The correct model isn't that everyone is an independent evaluator of the truth and the result of some group decision is the sum of independent assessments, as much as everyone evaluates objective truth for about 50% of their score and 50% of their perception of other people's scores which is sampled based on whatever they happen to see at the moment. Thus some things fly to the moon and others not based on a fairly chaotic process sensitive to initial conditions rather than intrinsic merit. Momentum is real. Having Elon as a seeding factor very well makes the difference between CT succeeding and not, much more than one might think the objective merits do. A comment here might sit at 0 or fly to 100 based literally on who happens to be logged in at the time it was made, etc.

However when it comes to putting a maximum price envelope there must be some answer. I dont have any precise answer but i think 15x forward revenue is a decent approximation however momentum means you will have pretty short lived and sharp punctures of whatever the general heuristic max is.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Paul_SF
What's remarkable is to notice how our shared social reality works. As humans we evolved pragmatically to believe what was useful moreso than what was truthful. We adopt as truth the truths we perceive are commonly held. So it is recursive. This could be called culture or at least the instinct that allows culture.

The correct model isn't that everyone is an independent evaluator of the truth and the result of some group decision is the sum of independent assessments, as much as everyone evaluates objective truth for about 50% of their score and 50% of their perception of other people's scores which is sampled based on whatever they happen to see at the moment. Thus some things fly to the moon and others not based on a fairly chaotic process sensitive to initial conditions rather than intrinsic merit. Momentum is real. Having Elon as a seeding factor very well makes the difference between CT succeeding and not, much more than one might think the objective merits do. A comment here might sit at 0 or fly to 100 based literally on who happens to be logged in at the time it was made, etc.

However when it comes to putting a maximum price envelope there must be some answer. I dont have any precise answer but i think 15x forward revenue is a decent approximation however momentum means you will have pretty short lived and sharp punctures of whatever the general heuristic max is.
Did you know most people only wash their hands in the bathroom when someone else is in there? It was a pre-covid study as I recall but seems to match what you're trying to speak... I think.

Long day, need rest, worked hard-ly. Wake to some Chinese education.

And it's pouring rain in Az. YAY!

Reactions: Wicket
Did you know most people only wash their hands in the bathroom when someone else is in there? It was a pre-covid study as I recall but seems to match what you're trying to speak... I think.

Long day, need rest, worked hard-ly. Wake to some Chinese education.

And it's pouring rain in Az. YAY!

Yep that seems an example but the truth actually is *everything works this way*. It would be harder to find examples where this isn't the case. And we are intense confabulators about it. Oh I didn't need to wash because I was particularly careful this time etc. The reason being that one who lays claim to behaving independently of this process is laying claim to higher status because they are the seed of monumental compounding recursive effect! Mating potential!

Not me of course.

• Funny
Reactions: SOULPEDL

Yeah he's an interesting guy. Well tempered and rational. I think he's firmly in the nobility of Tesla geeks. However I do also particularly enjoy the vaguely homoerotica with him. The vaguely watering eyes of affection and deliberately gardened hair before interviews with fairly attractive men. I guess he also says some useful things but mostly all things already known but of course it becomes super important when the same thing one already thinks is said by someone that represents what others think.

Yeah he's an interesting guy. Well tempered and rational. I think he's firmly in the nobility of Tesla geeks. However I do also particularly enjoy the vaguely homoerotica with him. The vaguely watering eyes of affection and deliberately gardened hair before interviews with fairly attractive men. I guess he also says some useful things but mostly all things already known but of course it becomes super important when the same thing one already thinks is said by someone that represents what others think.
Rob not only "says some useful things", he digs deeper than most, provides context and connects dots - doing homework many of us do but many more don't.

For example, each time some China sales or production number comes out (monthly) he compares this to what went before and how he expects this to impact the future of the current quarter.

Also every quarter he provides one of the best and most detailed/well reasoned P&D report previews, using all available data in the Teslaverse.

His quarterly Earnings Report and Conference Call analyses are among the most insightful out there.

I could go on, but the above is enough to point out I strongly disagree with your sentiment that Rob only rehashes "mostly all things already known". I won't even go into your other comment.

He's one of the most valuable assets in the Tesla community.

Rob not only "says some useful things", he digs deeper than most, provides context and connects dots - doing homework many of us do but many more don't.

For example, each time some China sales or production number comes out (monthly) he compares this to what went before and how he expects this to impact the future of the current quarter.

Also every quarter he provides one of the best and most detailed/well reasoned P&D report previews, using all available data in the Teslaverse.

His quarterly Earnings Report and Conference Call analyses are among the most insightful out there.

I could go on, but the above is enough to point out I strongly disagree with your sentiment that Rob only rehashes "mostly all things already known". I won't even go into your other comment.

He's one of the most valuable assets in the Tesla community.

I would encourage you to better look into the difference between what Rob brings to you uniquely and what you are simply happy that Rob reveals as a spokesman with influence. What I am bringing to you is nuance and this response is insulting and dumb. If you want more idiocy than fine proceed to chase me away because I get nothing out of this frankly.