Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not quite sure where this one leads. There's got to be a joke or innuendo somewhere, but I don't follow. Can anyone explain it?
I have two thoughts
1. Burnt hair smell... smell of shorts burning.

2. Elon proving some of his fans will buy anything he sells, even perfume that smells like burnt hair.

I'm passing on buying this one.

I'm not quite sure where this one leads. There's got to be a joke or innuendo somewhere, but I don't follow. Can anyone explain it?
Musk companies don't pay for advertising. This is one reason why. They sell ridiculous merch like Burnt Hair fragrance, not-flamethrowers, surfboards, tequila, whistles, Cybertruck icon sock sets, etc.

I have two thoughts
1. Burnt hair smell... smell of shorts burning.

2. Elon proving some of his fans will buy anything he sells, even perfume that smells like burnt hair.

I'm passing on buying this one.
1665532752251.png

Looks like he relates it to his name. I did not get it until I saw his twitter note.

In all this doom and gloom, I came up with an actually very good reason to be genuinely bullish regarding the fear that China will screw over GigaShanghai.
Basically, there is no chance of that happening, and the reason is Starlink :)

China has several big fears. One of them is losing total communication control over its populace. The other one is giving Taiwan a large communications edge in case China attacks it. China knows that Elon could enable Starlink in both places with the flip of a switch, today. So in a sense China and Elon have each other by the balls - the only true long-term stable solution to a crisis :)
M.A.D.

In all this doom and gloom, I came up with an actually very good reason to be genuinely bullish regarding the fear that China will screw over GigaShanghai.
Basically, there is no chance of that happening, and the reason is Starlink :)

China has several big fears. One of them is losing total communication control over its populace. The other one is giving Taiwan a large communications edge in case China attacks it. China knows that Elon could enable Starlink in both places with the flip of a switch, today. So in a sense China and Elon have each other by the balls - the only true long-term stable solution to a crisis :)
Wait till Elon start doing power transmission satellites:
68CBDA22-3B8D-4A41-9328-7CFD1A038DA6.jpeg

OK, this one confuses you, but, did the Not-a-Flamethrower, S3XY Shorts, Tesla Tequila/Decanter, and Cyber Whistle all make perfect sense? 🤷‍♂️

It is art from my point of view. Ridiculous art, but, art just the same. A nutty reflection of Elon.

Perhaps these qusai-collectables fall into the realm best described by the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, who shared,

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

OK, this one confuses you, but, did the Not-a-Flamethrower, S3XY Shorts, Tesla Tequila/Decanter, and Cyber Whistle all make perfect sense? 🤷‍♂️

It is art from my point of view. Ridiculous art, but, art just the same. A nutty reflection of Elon.

Perhaps these qusai-collectables fall into the realm best described by the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, who shared,

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
They are all more or less functional in some sense. Even the Cyberwhistle is a little tinny, but looks nice. If nothing else, I can hang it in my Cybertruck eventually.

I can’t picture having a bottle of foul smelling fluid on my mantle just to ??? What? Why?

Maybe it’s actually tequila? don’t know.

Reactions: Drumheller
They are all more or less functional in some sense. Even the Cyberwhistle is a little tinny, but looks nice. If nothing else, I can hang it in my Cybertruck eventually.

I can’t picture having a bottle of foul smelling fluid on my mantle just to ??? What? Why?

Maybe it’s actually tequila? don’t know.

But what happened to the Tesla Candy?????

Elon is such a frawd

• Funny
Reactions: M|S|W and wipster
If you have the money, recession is the right time for construction. Lower costs for most everything, contractors anxious/desperate for business. If Tesla feels good about their future in the 2nd half of the decade, absent calamity that makes everything moot, and if they judge they have a sufficient cushion beyond construction costs, they should plunge ahead. On the other side of the recession, they would be sitting even prettier.

Cultural flashback - could AGI changes us for the better us?

CULT.Diego.Frozen.Assets.jpg

Diego Rivera - Frozen Assets 1931 (Inside MoMA)

On exhibit at the MoMA (Museum of Modern Art), NYC ca 2012 - Fresco on metal framework -94 1/8 x 74 3/8" (239.1 x 188.9 cm)
Museo Dolores Olmedo Patiño, Mexico

• Love
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I guessed $100 even. How close did @mongo get?

Price is Right win > $100
More than $50 in parts.
Eliminates two types of Sub-assembly lines (future CapEx)
More than 10 minutes of labor
?? facility/ handling cost savings
At least $100 a car (conservative, including warranty, serivce, supplier management, ECU removal)

It'll make PPF easier, that's for sure.

So, I was at a Tier 1 a decade ago and am out of date, but there is markup in the chain to prices people see. I also tend to the optomistic side so low balled the prices. It could be more like $200. I'd be shocked if it were $1,000 to Tesla. MMayybbee $1,000 to customer @ 30%, but that still pushing it.

WAG:
Sensors $10 * 12 = $120
Three pole connectors: $1 * 12 = $12
End connectors $2 * 2 = $4
Harness: 16 circuits * $1.00 = $16
Wraps & clips = $6
$158
Double for markup: $300
Definitely less than $500
Labor to install should be sub hour
Handling cost is low due to light weight and low volume.
But, I'm stale and didn't deal much in the wire harness business. Heck, I could be off just due to 10 years of inflation.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Which of these are going to come up negative on the VADER score? They are almost all anti-Musk, very few have the sort of words your filter will grade as negative. These trivial checks don’t suss out sentiment. It’s metrics for the sake of metrics. Many of them are just plays on words that agree with the top post. Many don’t have “Elon” in them at all. Your score is pointless for measuring what you think it measures.

Regardless how much of a cesspool Reddit is OT, if you want to reply, PM me or post in OT Galore. I won’t skunk up this thread any more.

This was some actually useful criticism. I took the comments from your screenshot and ran them through a couple different pretrained models to see which picked up on the negativity the best. As you expected, VADER fails and classifies most of them as neutral or positive:

VADER:
0.0: So Elon falls for Vladimir's blackmail?
0.0: Elon Minsk
0.0: Илон Минск
0.0: Elon Muscow
0.4588: Could also mean Vlad begged Elon or negotiated a sweet deal.
0.0: Probably the latter. Elon's Twitter stuff is coming up and he's gonna need capital.
0.8796: I really had respect for this man. But he is not dumb. Means he is playing a game. He is raising capital or influence. Any trace of respect disappeared with those pro russian actions. What a shallow human.
0.2263: You should really do a bit of digging. There's no reason to have ever had respect for him
0.1372: You had respect for this scammy ******* piece of ****? He has _ALWAYS_ been a huge scum****
0.4404: Better late than never.

Found one neural network trained on sentiment from Tweets, called "cardiffnlp/twitter-roberta-base-sentiment", and it seems to pick up on negativity better:
Negative; 0.6: So Elon falls for Vladimir's blackmail?
Neutral; 0.8: Elon Minsk
Neutral; 0.7: Илон Минск
Neutral; 0.8: Elon Muscow
Neutral; 0.8: Could also mean Vlad begged Elon or negotiated a sweet deal.
Neutral; 0.7: Probably the latter. Elon's Twitter stuff is coming up and he's gonna need capital.
Negative; 0.8: I really had respect for this man. But he is not dumb. Means he is playing a game. He is raising capital or influence. Any trace of respect disappeared with those pro russian actions. What a shallow human.
Negative; 0.9: You should really do a bit of digging. There's no reason to have ever had respect for him
Negative; 1.0: You had respect for this scammy ******* piece of ****? He has _ALWAYS_ been a huge scum****
Neutral; 0.6: Better late than never.

And then captured the scores of individual comments, and applied some smoothing and standard errors:

1665599635699.png

So it does appear that investor sentiment is falling. but /r/teslamotors ebbs and flows, and /r/news stays pretty negative.

Excluding food and energy, CPI is expected to have risen 0.4%, down from 0.6% in August. But the annual rate of core inflation at 6.5% is expected to top the 6.3% in August, due to base effects.

consumer inflation is expected to have remained hot in September but slightly lower than August’s pace

+
Dont know how you combat inflation when landlords know they can raise rent because of housing shortage. My sons rent in Austin was raised 30% with less than a week to decide if they stayed or not. Lease said if they didnt give notice of moved out that the lease would be extended a year at the new rate. Luckily they rapidly found something new and only paid 15% more. This is one way FED is definitely not helping. People choosing to rent rather than buy and landlords taking advantage of it. My mother-in-law was hit with extra fees. She has a cat and cost was raised $20 per month to have cat. The put on her that she needed a liability policy or rent would be raised $100 per month. Finally her rent went up $100 per month for her 1 bedroom elderly apartment.

Dont know how you combat inflation when landlords know they can raise rent because of housing shortage. My sons rent in Austin was raised 30% with less than a week to decide if they stayed or not. Lease said if they didnt give notice of moved out that the lease would be extended a year at the new rate. Luckily they rapidly found something new and only paid 15% more. This is one way FED is definitely not helping. People choosing to rent rather than buy and landlords taking advantage of it. My mother-in-law was hit with extra fees. She has a cat and cost was raised $20 per month to have cat. The put on her that she needed a liability policy or rent would be raised $100 per month. Finally her rent went up $100 per month for her 1 bedroom elderly apartment.

As a landlord, it's not all "malicious" when you raise rents.

In TX, for example, property values are much more dynamic than other states (re-assessments can happen without a change of ownership, and frequently do). So if the local government raises your property taxes 30% (I had this happen in Dallas, that's not hyperbolae), you must pass that on to the tenant. You don't take hits like that and absorb them. Tenants are also much more likely now to call you to repair EVERY little thing (literally, light bulbs, etc.), than fix them themselves and ask you to knock $10 off their rent. Stuff like that gets noticed, and you raise the rates on renewals. I know I'm more likely to raise rents on a tenant that calls the service guy once a month than the tenant that never files a request unless it is something more serious.

Furthermore, I just completed some critical maintenance on a 20 yo home that we rent out, and the prices for labor and materials were absolutely bonkers. Appliances were crazy expensive, AND hard to get with long lead times. I can't absorb those kinds of costs and keep rent the same.

Sure, some people are just raising rents because the market is going up, and they know they can get away with it. But it's definitely a by-product of pumping trillions of dollars of "free" money into the economy the past 3 or so years and now the resultant inflation due to supply chain shocks.

Home builders are also VERY hesitant to start new projects right now, so the housing supply is very very low. My business partner was looking to start building a home a year ago, and all the general contractors were quoting him crazy prices (WA state - NOT Seattle) like $400/sf for a 1200SF log cabin. Something he priced out the prior year at $150/SF. The GCs were blaming the price of everything going up (lumber went up like 3X, steel 1.5X, concrete 2X, labor rates 2X . . . you get the point).