Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, yes, Elon is pissing off everyone who is aware of just how much animal ag works in direct opposition of Tesla's mission. Frankly, with many of his recent Tweets he's gone off the rails--I have lost low 7-figures due to his antics over the past months.

For those without any knowledge of this (and that's the vast majority, even here on TMC) here's a clue: you cannot be an environmentalist or truly support Tesla's mission if you're still consuming animal flesh.

So why not be a part of the solution by not just investing in TSLA, but also supporting the reason Tesla exists in the first place? (Starting with you Elon. Jeesh. What has gotten in to you lately?!?)

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

See many other damning facts at:

www.cowspiracy.com/facts

Indeed, cowspiracy! How properly named! /s

Yes, cows fat etc. But the 18% is ridiculous. And the narrative of "Animal agriculture is responsible .... more than the combined exhaust from all transportation" is a heavily promoted lie by oil industry, i.e. a true conspiracy.

You're either a shill or an useful idiot of big oils in promoting this animal farming GHG sugar.

TSLA Pilot said:
Yes, of course you will, despite the fact that it all flies in the face of Tesla's stated mission and the reason many of us are here.

Look, I realize that being a mod is difficult, but please consider your OWN biases as you persist in stripping all of these postings away again and again--it's ABOUT THE REASON TESLA EXISTS.

It took the US Surgeon General years of research to determine they needed to add a warning label to cigarettes. Why? Because the vast majority of the committee members smoked . . . . And since the Mods consume animal flesh, well, here we are fifty years later with history repeating itself.

If only the entire planet's future didn't hang in the balance. If only.

@TSLA Pilot

I get it. I don't disagree here, but neither alt-meats, nor veganism, nor agriculture is part of what Tesla produces or more than tangentially affects.

Lots and lots of things Musk should probably not Tweet about. But ultimately this issue does not affect Tesla investing.

The US generates the most emissions per capita in the transportation sector. When looking at global emissions, agricultural activities generate more GHG than transportation.

global_emissions_sector_2015.png
The issue with this graph is that world-wide there are many places that use slash and burn agriculture and clear cut forestry. Livestock is likely a minuscule part of this. (Note: been a vegetarian for many decades).

Compared to a chimpanzee on LSD.

I'd say that in my experience FSD, conservatively:

• 70% of the time, drives pretty human-like
  • 10% of the time, drives a bit mechanically or haltingly, but not unsafely or unusually
  • 10% of the time, it makes strange lane changes and decisions that cause it to drive unusually, to the point where it would confuse other drivers on the road
  • 5% of the time, it gets too close to curbs or drivers for my comfort, but probably would be fine if I didn't intervene
  • 5% of the time, does place itself in unsafe situations, like actually getting to close to another vehicle, or slow-rolling a turn through a busy intersection

Are your experiences really that different? Or are you just being a glass-half-empty kinda person and fixating on what it does wrong?

Last edited:
I'd say that in my experience FSD, conservatively:

• 70% of the time, drives pretty human-like
  • 10% of the time, drives a bit mechanically or haltingly, but not unsafely or unusually
  • 10% of the time, it makes strange lane changes and decisions that cause it to drive unusually, to the point where it would confuse other drivers on the road
  • 5% of the time, it gets too close to curbs or drivers for my comfort, but probably would be fine if I didn't intervene
  • 5% of the time, does place itself in unsafe situations, like actually getting to close to another vehicle, or slow-rolling a turn through a busy intersection

Are your experiences really that different? Or are you just being a glass-half-empty kinda person and fixating on what it does wrong?
It all depends on where you're driving. If I include my driving on the two-lane highway to the big city I'd say we're in agreement.

I'll try to quantify my morning commute for you: I live in the Rockies a few miles outside of a small town and drive to my hangar every day where my office is. The roads are hilly. The sun is bright and the pine trees cast long shadows. The centerlines are often unmarked. The edge of the roads are somewhat indistinct. The roads have multiple patches on them in one area. There is a small section where construction is taking place but it is well marked. One intersection is at the top of a rise where the stop sign is a little misplaced, there are four roads and a driveway all coming together at different angles. The speed limit changes after a turn without a sign. There is a short section of "twisties."

This morning I had 13 interventions or disconnects. I won't go through each of them. Some were minor (wrong speed) and a few were major where the system turned itself off or I was stopped on the road.

Additionally, I got to the airport but obviously the system can't get me through the security gate or navigate the airport taxiways to get me to my hangar. On my return trip, the car stops 100 yards short of my home even with the correct address in. I didn't count very small lurches or jerks but they are there and passengers will not like them. There was no opposite direction traffic today where normally I have to disconnect because on one stretch the car is too close to the centerline.

On the two-lane highway I drive my experience has been generally good. The car wanders a little during turns at 70 MPH and it doesn't slow down in time when transitioning through small towns being the obvious areas needing improvement.

I'm absolutely focusing on the problems. FSD does a lot of things well. It seems to be working much better for people in big cities with well defined and marked roads.

It all depends on where you're driving. If I include my driving on the two-lane highway to the big city I'd say we're in agreement.

I'll try to quantify my morning commute for you: I live in the Rockies a few miles outside of a small town and drive to my hangar every day where my office is. The roads are hilly. The sun is bright and the pine trees cast long shadows. The centerlines are often unmarked. The edge of the roads are somewhat indistinct. The roads have multiple patches on them in one area. There is a small section where construction is taking place but it is well marked. One intersection is at the top of a rise where the stop sign is a little misplaced, there are four roads and a driveway all coming together at different angles. The speed limit changes after a turn without a sign. There is a short section of "twisties."

This morning I had 13 interventions or disconnects. I won't go through each of them. Some were minor (wrong speed) and a few were major where the system turned itself off or I was stopped on the road.

(snip)

I'm absolutely focusing on the problems. FSD does a lot of things well. It seems to be working much better for people in big cities with well defined and marked roads.
I drive it on slightly hilly roads with twists but they have very well marked centerlines. Car often misses changing speed limit signs that I can readily see and phantom decelerates on what I believe are tree shadows. Sometimes on a turn where an oncoming car comes into sight suddenly it will also hit the brakes (WRONG, it just acts as if I took my foot off the accelerator and jerks the car; wife won't let me use FSD as a passenger, too jerky). If a perpendicular road stop sign is even slightly misaligned the car sees it, decelerates hard and recovers .Lots more work to do.

I drive it on slightly hilly roads with twists but they have very well marked centerlines. Car often misses changing speed limit signs that I can readily see and phantom decelerates on what I believe are tree shadows. Sometimes on a turn where an oncoming car comes into sight suddenly it will also hit the brakes (WRONG, it just acts as if I took my foot off the accelerator and jerks the car; wife won't let me use FSD as a passenger, too jerky). If a perpendicular road stop sign is even slightly misaligned the car sees it, decelerates hard and recovers .Lots more work to do.
Your guesses are incorrect (many people experiencing these issues with better data to back up different root causes as well as not understanding how the system works with the latest build) and further discussion should take place in the appropriate thread

Your guesses are incorrect (many people experiencing these issues with better data to back up different root causes as well as not understanding how the system works with the latest build) and further discussion should take place in the appropriate thread
My guesses as to root cause may well be incorrect or possibly correct. They are just guesses. But the issues cited happen repeatedly >>2x in the same and in other locations and are not spurious one time flukes. Much more work to be done.

My guesses as to root cause may well be incorrect or possibly correct. They are just guesses. But the issues cited happen repeatedly >>2x in the same and in other locations and are not spurious one time flukes. Much more work to be done.
With your history on the forum, color me 'not surprised' as I see no indication you are willing to educate yourself in the tech.

Oh and you are a fan now of TSLA I assume?

With your history on the forum, color me 'not surprised' as I see no indication you are willing to educate yourself in the tech.

Oh and you are a fan now of TSLA I assume?

Nobody understands it, not even the people who write the algorithms. It's A.I. For example, how did you decide what to have for breakfast today? Please provide the exact sequence of neurons that fired and in what order and why they fired to make your decision. Good luck.

All we can do is describe how well it's working.

This is the investors' board. My personal experiences may be of use to some who don't have FSD beta themselves. Personal attacks against those who are willing to share negative experiences are detrimental to those who are trying to make estimates of future FSD revenues. Most critics aren't here to move the stock price down or attack Elon because of his politics. (Personally, I own a lot of stock and am 99.9% aligned with Elon's views.) If I wanted to bash FSD I'd publish one of my drives on YouTube.

I agree that we should be careful what we say because there are those who wish to do TSLA harm. But, we should also be honest and not create unreasonable expectations for autopilot.

Semi OT but it's always nice to point out positive media for our Twitter loving business associate. We heard a bit about this a couple years ago but now the plan is for him to a space walk too. Gonna be fun to see Cruise doing stunts in a SpaceX spacesuit.

Universal studio's chairwoman Dame Donna Langley has revealed that Tom Cruise is expected do a spacewalk for his next movie, making history as he will be blasted into space for an upcoming Universal blockbuster. Plans for the stunt-loving actor to st nar in such a movie first emerged in 2020 with Elon Musk's SpaceX and NASA both involved in the project.

I personally hope the cable breaks and he flies off into space never to be seen again...