Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None of the math of that rent-a-tesla-to-do-uber program makes any sense at all to me versus the driver directly leasing or buying it themselves other than perhaps it's available to those with otherwise horrendously bad, or no, credit?

Anyway the program is actually through Hertz- $334/week plus taxes and fees and one has to expect that'll be an SR+...LR is also available but no price listed.

Why not?

Lease is a three year term commitment with inital payment. Purchase can be 72 month. Rental is a weekly charge which can be put on credit card effectively paying with fares from rental vs cash up front. Also earns points for a 1-x% cost reduction. Can stop/ start as needed versus monthly payments.
Also guarantees car availability versus an owned vehicle which can be sidelined due to accident or mechanical issue. Allong with vehicle lead time.

$20 in 30 minutes
$500 + $230 = $730 for car
730/20 = 37 trips to break even = 20 hours carrying.
Another 20 hours of passengers = $800 * 50 weeks = $40k a year (pre tax). (Of course, total time in car is more than 40 hrs a week).
Vs
$4,500 down and $500 a month for lease, $700 for purchase.
With a purchase (excluding tax, registration, tires):
4,500/72 months = $62 + $700 + $200 (insurance) = $962 / 4 = $240 a week.
So $500 is extra $260 / 40 hours = $6.50/hour hit.

Lease (excluding tax, reg, mileage and tires):
$4,500 / 36 = 125 + 500 + 200 = 825 / 4 = $206
$294/40=$7.35/hr hit.

"Tesla Giga Usine" - TGU in short, sorta like the TGV's (French bullet trains, Trains a Grande Vitesse )
The rules say the Frenchification goes first.
If Tesla can go first, no need for more (i think).
Otherwise: moteurs tesla (throwback)

The problem I see with Quebec is snow. Pumping out 10,000 vehicles a week means a constant stream of vehicles coming out the factory and onto trucks. When it's snowing a foot outside, that is a problem....

(Internet search says they get more than 10 feet of snow/year)

I had the same thought with Detroit. Why deal with snow if you don't have to. It seems the constant vehicle flow would help as the snow leaves with the cars and trucks rather than building up.
Heated parking lots would be a neat trick (waste heat from casting area?)

Reactions: Boomer19 and CLK350
When I talk about “PMC bloat” at places like Meta, Google, and others, you can see it in posts like this:

This worker probably gets paid $300k+ a year ($1200 a day) and does maybe 2 hours of actual work a day. This is why productivity growth is in the toilet in this country. Many firms, especially in tech, are larded up with white collar workers who do little, no, or often even negative work.

Thank god Tesla and SpaceX doesn’t have this type of culture.

A recession will probably be good long term and allow this fat to be cut.

Earnings/Net income down almost 50% yoy is the reason.

Meta is the Bizarro Tesla.

MV5BNDAxODE0NDUtNjA0Ny00MWY3LTg1NWEtNWQ5NjFmNzBjMTEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk0NzgwMTE@._V1_.jpg

When I talk about “PMC bloat” at places like Meta, Google, and others, you can see it in posts like this:

This worker probably gets paid $300k+ a year ($1200 a day) and does maybe 2 hours of actual work a day. This is why productivity growth is in the toilet in this country. Many firms, especially in tech, are larded up with white collar workers who do little, no, or often even negative work.

All the young people should get off your lawn, too!

There have always been slackers and workhorses. Same as it ever was. One of my best developers just happens to be the youngest on our teams.

Most, if not all, Internet companies sure have gone through the "bozo explosion" on some level since 2016 from my vantage point.

Edit: Bill Gurley talked about how untrained people are in the industry too nowadays.

All the young people should get off your lawn, too!

There have always been slackers and workhorses. Same as it ever was. One of my best developers just happens to be the youngest on our teams.

It has *nothing* to do with age, it has to do with corporate culture and easy money.

Easy money the last ~6 years had made a lot of firms go soft.

The iron law of bureaucracy exists in the private sector too.

Spot on, love this post. The "entitlement mentality" (for lack of a better term) has spilled over into the white-collar workforce so much it's painful.

Ironic that she's posting it on TikTok too, not FB. Says a lot about the platform.

Wish i was smart enough to have that job for the last 5 years, invest every spare cent into $TSLA and would be retired by now :) Oh well, i guess ill just have to work hard and retire in a few years :)

Meta EPS estimate came down from 2,6$ to 1,6$ in last few months, and they still managed to miss it by a mile. ☠️💀 TSLA estimates usually rise towards earnings. I prefer the latter.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they lost money in Q4…

The cost bloat at some of these tech firms recently is truly ridiculous.

Facebook had $29b in revenue q3 last year and $9.2b in profit compared with $27.7b in revenue and $4.4b in profit now… that’s 18% more cost for 5% less revenue! 🤣

Google paid 20% higher costs for a 6% revenue bump.

Last edited: