Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Preemptively off-topic-ing this, but Fallout Boy did a rather cool rendition of Billy Joel's classic "We Didn't Start the Fire" with updated events that occurred since the original. Cool to see that Elon, Tesla, and FSD made it into verse 4:

"Elon Musk, Kaepernick
Texas failed electric grid
Jeff Bezos, climate change
White rhino goes extinct
Great Pacific garbage patch
Tom DeLonge and aliens
Mars rover, Avatar
Self-driving electric cars"

Note to mods:
Although from UK, I am increasingly fascinated by the 2024 race. There is a huge impact on TSLA. Many TMCers will spend time posting elsewhere if they are not able to here and we risk losing more of the best. Can I suggest a compromise:
  • 18 month reprieve on politics limited to:
  • Posts limited to 2 new threads in investor section
    • Positive posts favouring Republican candidates
    • Positive posts favouring Democratic candidates
    • I would post in both
  • No counter arguments, just disagrees
If this works maybe something similar for Elon and Twitter?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
This seems to be a workaround, for now, put in the user name you wish to view nitter

Why use Nitter?​

It's impossible to use Twitter without JavaScript enabled. For privacy-mindedfolks, preventing JavaScript analytics and IP-based tracking is important, butapart from using a VPN and uBlock/uMatrix, it's impossible. Despite being behinda VPN and using heavy-duty adblockers, you can get accurately tracked with yourbrowser's fingerprint,no JavaScript required. This all becameparticularly important after Twitter removed theabilityfor users to control whether their data gets sent to advertisers.

Using an instance of Nitter (hosted on a VPS for example), you can browseTwitter without JavaScript while retaining your privacy. In addition torespecting your privacy, Nitter is on average around 15 times lighter thanTwitter, and in most cases serves pages faster (eg. timelines load 2-4x faster).

Unless and until a similar situation arises, this discussion truly is not topical to this thread and needn’t be continued.
On the other hand, I am still smarting from the inuendo it generated in early posts, strongly suggesting “it’s obvious which Moderator is guilty and we should have a vote…”.
Vigilantism is disgusting in all guises, and that not one of those perpetrators has come forth with an apology, privately or publicly, is particularly vile.
Understandable position.
I was continuing the dialog only so we could all be aware of the threat vector involved as it might be useful in the future. I would not expect a direct email (anonymous at that) so it is useful to know if that is actually a thing. If it is or is not, could you append your post with that data point?

Preemptively off-topic-ing this, but Fallout Boy did a rather cool rendition of Billy Joel's classic "We Didn't Start the Fire" with updated events that occurred since the original. Cool to see that Elon, Tesla, and FSD made it into verse 4:

"Elon Musk, Kaepernick
Texas failed electric grid
Jeff Bezos, climate change
White rhino goes extinct
Great Pacific garbage patch
Tom DeLonge and aliens
Mars rover, Avatar
Self-driving electric cars"

Original was chronological...

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Elon getting some coaching:
1688431022632.png

Anyone know if the wash sale rule starts the 30 day count on the day you sell or the next day?
Since the wash sale period is 61 days, (30 days before the sale, 30 days after the sale, plus the date of sale), day one of the 30 days would be the day after the sale.

I just trimmed our Apple position to take advantage of the long term capital gain benefit for our tax bracket. I was thinking there was a wash rule for that, but apparently not. I think we could buy it right back without losing that tax benefit. (I don't need a definite answer on that, we moved the proceeds to savings to replenish some of what we spent for some overdue home repairs.)

Obviously not an accountant, so hopefully an accountant will weigh in on your question.

• Helpful
Reactions: JRP3
Since the wash sale period is 61 days, (30 days before the sale, 30 days after the sale, plus the date of sale), day one of the 30 days would be the day after the sale.

I just trimmed our Apple position to take advantage of the long term capital gain benefit for our tax bracket. I was thinking there was a wash rule for that, but apparently not. I think we could buy it right back without losing that tax benefit. (I don't need a definite answer on that, we moved the proceeds to savings to replenish some of what we spent for some overdue home repairs.)

Obviously not an accountant, so hopefully an accountant will weigh in on your question.
If you sell at a profit, there is no wash sale implication. Only if you sell at a loss, then re-buy, you can't claim the loss immediately, it just adds to the cost basis of the bought stock. This can even apply before the sale, if you bought more then sold some at a loss.

This is f'ing wild. Starlink will render undersea Internet cables useless, if this happens. How would you bet against TSLA when he's doing stuff like this?

Starlink probably will stay far away from offering service in Taiwan. The article does not mention it, but Taiwan has made it an explicit policy to integrate itself into the supply chain for LEO megaconstellations. In addition, you have the local ownership rules (50%+ in a JV) that are higher than all other countries in which Starlink is providing service. Indeed, even South Africa requires less (30% local ownership by minorities in a JV).

LEO megaconstellations like Starlink are by their nature global. This is much different than all other past communication methods from space. When Starlink adds capacity in the United States, Taiwan's capacity increases in equal measure. On the other hand, to serve Taiwan sufficiently, you would also have to serve the United States sufficiently. The result is that if Taiwan wants Starlink-like service for the island, it more or less has to build a Starlink-like constellation that serves a global marketplace. This is several decades beyond Taiwan's current technological capability, so the Taiwanese are in an extremely weak position to demand anything from SpaceX if they want Starlink-like service.

Starlink is a two-edged sword for everybody and has broad geopolitical consequences. The Chinese are concerned about it and parts of the government apparatus will automatically distrust Musk because of it. They also will not be able to match it for a couple of decades or so. As Tesla investors, we should be aware that Starlink has some sharp edges that may have already impacted Tesla (Tesla not being allowed to add capacity in Shanghai). But just as it hurts Tesla in some places, it may unexpectedly help with others.

Another odd aspect to this is that while SpaceX may do everything in its power to keep Taiwan out of its critical supply chain, Tesla is using TSMC to produce many of its custom ICs. Lots to be said here and I'm sure there are others on this thread who have insights about these things.

Last edited:
Starlink probably will stay far away from offering service in Taiwan. The article does not mention it, but Taiwan has made it an explicit policy to integrate itself into the supply chain for LEO megaconstellations. In addition, you have the local ownership rules (50%+ in a JV) that are higher than all other countries in which Starlink is providing service. Indeed, even South Africa requires less (30% local ownership by minorities in a JV).

LEO megaconstellations like Starlink are by their nature global. This is much different than all other past communication methods from space. When Starlink adds capacity in the United States, Taiwan's capacity increases in equal measure. On the other hand, to serve Taiwan sufficiently, you would also have to serve the United States sufficiently. The result is that if Taiwan wants Starlink-like service for the island, it more or less has to build a Starlink-like constellation that serves a global marketplace. This is several decades beyond Taiwan's current technological capacity, so the Taiwanese are in an extremely weak position to demand anything from SpaceX if they want Starlink-like service.

Starlink is a two-edged sword for everybody and has broad geopolitical consequences. The Chinese are concerned about it. They also will not be able to match it for a couple of decades or so. As Tesla investors, we should be aware that Starlink has some sharp edges that may have already impacted Tesla around the edges (Tesla not being allowed to add capacity in Shanghai). But just as it hurts Tesla in some places, it may unexpectedly help with others.
One does wonder if China has already told Elon to deny Starlink to Taiwan. On a couple of recent occasions, he has sounded the alarm bells on China’s potential aggression towards Taiwan saying “people should listen to China when it says it will take back Taiwan, they are very serious”.

• Informative
Reactions: unk45 and capster