Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon now says button could come with V10 or V10.1:
Thanks for the tweet reposts. I'm not on tweet land.
I hope my comment doesn't come across as being sarcastic, yet I wonder...... Noticed no "Time" estimate. Thus, making me wonder even if he is right and it comes with 10, I'm envisioning that is after releases of 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.9999999, etc which seem to come months apart for each release. So while 10.0 or 10.1 might imply near future, uh, it could be waaaaayyyyyyy out there in time.

Thanks for the tweet reposts. I'm not on tweet land.
I hope my comment doesn't come across as being sarcastic, yet I wonder...... Noticed no "Time" estimate. Thus, making me wonder even if he is right and it comes with 10, I'm envisioning that is after releases of 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.9999999, etc which seem to come months apart for each release. So while 10.0 or 10.1 might imply near future, uh, it could be waaaaayyyyyyy out there in time.

Well, you probably missed this other Elon tweet where he suggests that they could just from V9.4 straight to V10:

If they do release V10 straight after V9.4, then it could come sooner. But the tweet also suggests V10 will have "significant architectural changes" which implies probably a lot of testing before going wide.

Really, the button is anybody's guess. I don't think Elon even knows.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Well, you probably missed this other Elon tweet where he suggests that they could just from V9.4 straight to V10:

If they do release V10 straight after V9.4, then it could come sooner. But the tweet also suggests V10 will have "significant architectural changes" which implies probably a lot of testing before going wide.

Really, the button is anybody's guess. I don't think Elon even knows.
Right, I did not see that. Let's just hope he doesn't squeeze in a 9.3XXXX series in between 9.3 and 9.4 :)

I was promised automatic driving in city streets in 2019. I don't have that.
Everyone was promised city streets last Fall, then by Christmas, then by yada/yada/yada. But, that's "almost" beside the point to us now. The issue is that 70 some odd non-employee PIF "FSD" CUSTOMERS are receiving exactly the updates which we are overdue to receive. I'm not threatening a lawsuit against Tesla - further, I should not have to sue a legitimate entity in order to receive what I've PIF. Whether monitored or not, we can manage our own risk of loss, we paid to be a part of this development and we've been managing the existing faulty beta AP driver's assistance programs. There's no difference to Tesla to send out 70 or 700,000 OTAUs.

Tesla will do the right thing as soon as we get our voices heard - reach out to those you know ASAP.

But FSD Beta is in the hands of youtubers who are filming whatever they want. Elon is not controlling those videos.
He's controlling them with the threat of taking away their access to the beta.
Everyone was promised city streets last Fall, then by Christmas, then by yada/yada/yada. But, that's "almost" beside the point to us now. The issue is that 70 some odd non-employee PIF "FSD" CUSTOMERS are receiving exactly the updates which we are overdue to receive. I'm not threatening a lawsuit against Tesla - further, I should not have to sue a legitimate entity in order to receive what I've PIF. Whether monitored or not, we can manage our own risk of loss, we paid to be a part of this development and we've been managing the existing faulty beta AP driver's assistance programs. There's no difference to Tesla to send out 70 or 700,000 OTAUs.

Tesla will do the right thing as soon as we get our voices heard - reach out to those you know ASAP.
The difference is that it would be 10,000 times more likely for there to be collisions that would get the whole public beta shut down.
I think they're still trying to figure out how safe it is. I think they want to be sure that they can make some statistical claim that it's safe (like they do with Autopilot).

There's so much they COULD do, all of which it seems would be safer/faster than the route we are on.
  1. Require confirmation on unprotected lefts and unmarked parking lots for now.
  2. Release FSD beta as soon as it is statistically safer than not having it from a "total accident" perspective, when used as designed. Isn't NAV on freeways claimed to be safer than human alone? For now, include the nag and other controls (seat belt buckled, weight on driver's seat) to prevent it from being somehow easy or accidental to fool. But you'll never make it idiot-proof.
  3. Heck, just throw us a bone - how about automatic traffic light behavior with no lead car? I'd guess that feature should be pretty-well baked (a.k.a. as safe as a person when used as designed) by now.
I still believe in personal responsibility - i.e., those on NAV who hit an emergency vehicle were not using the system as directed. I'm far from a fan but it just doesn't seem to me that Tesla would have the lion's share of responsibility in such cases.

Release FSD beta as soon as it is statistically safer than not having it from a "total accident" perspective, when used as designed. Isn't NAV on freeways claimed to be safer than human alone?
Yes, Autopilot is claimed to be safer when on than off without a "used as designed" caveat. It doesn't seem right to compare the safety of FSD Beta when used as designed to the safety of regular vehicles when used by humans. Regular vehicles would be way safer if they were used as designed!

Reactions: Dan D.
(emphasis, mine)

if you stay entirely on a closed course, I agree that you can do what you want.

on a shared highway, I'm not at all sure its ok to turn people loose on brand new sw that has not been safety tested by independant test agencies. this will take a while, as we all know, but I'm a bit uneasy with non-employees doing testing on shared society roads.

elon and gang mostly worry about their image and having the whole thing be set back. I agree with that risk, too; and yet they are taking more risks than I think is prudent, all in the name of marketing and 'getting there first'.

when its safe and enough non-tesla people agree, AND when there has been enough time to show that, then let it be release on public roads. but really, its pushing things to do beta testing like this on shared public roads.

we all know that, deep down in our hearts.

Reactions: daktari
I'm eager for a class action lawsuit. Easy win.
Even though I'm a stockholder, I agree. And Elon falling back on "subject to regulatory approval" is a red-herring. If I sold you a rock out of my garden and promised you it could cure cancer (subject to regulatory approval), would I survive a court case for fraud? Surely the FDA wouldn't approve my rock as a safe and effective medical device, so don't blame me if after you bought the rock, I couldn't deliver it - blame the regulators! Want your money back? The new cancer curing rock will be available in 10 days! 2 weeks! Next quarter! Next version!

I try to avoid the subject of FSD these days, as it infuriates me. I was suckered 10 months ago by a price hike and imminent release. I paid $8,000 for a parlor trick. Salt in the wounds is that anyone now can get the same parlor trick for $199 to give a demo of smart summon or NoA to their friends and then cancel when the party is over.

Yes, Autopilot is claimed to be safer when on than off without a "used as designed" caveat. It doesn't seem right to compare the safety of FSD Beta when used as designed to the safety of regular vehicles when used by humans. Regular vehicles would be way safer if they were used as designed!
Seriously? What are you talking about? Of course it's when it's being used as designed - following cautions and warnings.

Sometimes your posts make zero sense.

Seriously? What are you talking about? Of course it's when it's being used as designed - following cautions and warnings.

Sometimes your posts make zero sense.
Where does the Tesla safety report say that?
It doesn't say that because that would be a ridiculous comparison. Any car is safer when used as designed.

Even though I'm a stockholder, I agree. And Elon falling back on "subject to regulatory approval" is a red-herring. If I sold you a rock out of my garden and promised you it could cure cancer (subject to regulatory approval), would I survive a court case for fraud? Surely the FDA wouldn't approve my rock as a safe and effective medical device, so don't blame me if after you bought the rock, I couldn't deliver it - blame the regulators! Want your money back? The new cancer curing rock will be available in 10 days! 2 weeks! Next quarter! Next version!

I try to avoid the subject of FSD these days, as it infuriates me. I was suckered 10 months ago by a price hike and imminent release. I paid $8,000 for a parlor trick. Salt in the wounds is that anyone now can get the same parlor trick for $199 to give a demo of smart summon or NoA to their friends and then cancel when the party is over.
Firstly you could claim the rock has cure-cancer capability in the future (perhaps there's unknown healthy minerals in it). That's different from "does cure cancer now". You might win the court case.
Secondly, nobody would actually believe that the rock could ever do what you say, so you would lose.
Thirdly, there is one method your rock could "cure" the patient from cancer, but it's a rather drastic and final measure, but effective. You might win on a technicality. All silly arguments of course.

I tend to think the average jury might not accept Tesla's lawyers' arguments of legalese. But lawyers tend to be quite persuasive people, so who knows. I'd expect hush money settlements rather than trials. Eventually we'll find out, someone will take it to court one day.

Where does the Tesla safety report say that?
It doesn't say that because that would be a ridiculous comparison. Any car is safer when used as designed.
So I guess they can use the FSD cheats and send that vehicle off onto the streets? Seriously, you're arguing for the ridiculous. Because they don't qualify it with "when used as directed" you ASSume that means no driver intervention whatsoever?

Seriously?