Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot is claimed to be safer when on than off without a "used as designed" caveat.

Of course it's when it's being used as designed - following cautions and warnings.
Because they don't qualify it with "when used as directed" you ASSume that means no driver intervention whatsoever?

When Tesla compiles their statistics, how do they determine which drivers are using Autopilot as designed?

"In the 1st quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.19 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.05 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 978 thousand miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles."

Where does it say those drivers were operating the vehicles according to the cautions and warnings?

So I guess they can use the FSD cheats and send that vehicle off onto the streets? Seriously, you're arguing for the ridiculous. Because they don't qualify it with "when used as directed" you ASSume that means no driver intervention whatsoever?

Seriously?
Yes, people who drive poorly are included in the statistics when Autopilot is on and when it is off. Seriously.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yes, people who drive poorly are included in the statistics when Autopilot is on and when it is off. Seriously.
But that's not your point, is it? Your assertion was that Autopilot associated accidents were not caused by improper use, rather a failure of Autopilot safety.

That's patently wrong. So yes, the statistics include real world data that includes those accidents caused by morons. (I use the term describing those who can't follow directions and remain attentive as drivers.)

They don't. That includes morons.
Right, so not sure what you are taking issue with. Obviously this applies to all the categories and would apply to FSD as well when doing a safety comparison.

This started with a comment that they should release the button when FSD is safer than a human, when used as designed. Which does not seem like a great metric. I thought that was the point of the comment but maybe I have lost the thread here.

But that's not your point, is it? Your assertion was that Autopilot associated accidents were not caused by improper use, rather a failure of Autopilot safety.

That's patently wrong. So yes, the statistics include real world data that includes those accidents caused by morons. (I use the term describing those who can't follow directions and remain attentive as drivers.)
Where did I claim that?
Most collisions are caused by driver error whether the driver is using Autopilot or not!

Where did I claim that?
Most collisions are caused by driver error whether the driver is using Autopilot or not!
So autopilot contributes what to that. Tesla's statistics clearly show accident incidence is lower with AP on, compared to when it's off.

Or do you disagree with Tesla's stats? In any case, these stats show Teslas with AP engaged (and operated by non-morons) are demonstrably safer than non-Teslas or Teslas where drivers are not using AP.

So getting to the original question, which was the wording of a poll asking about unsupervised accidents on AP/FSD are patently ridiculous.

So autopilot contributes what to that. Tesla's statistics clearly show accident incidence is lower with AP on, compared to when it's off.
Yes, they do show that.
Or do you disagree with Tesla's stats?
No I do not disagree with the stats, I believe Tesla is telling the truth.
In any case, these stats show Teslas with AP engaged (and operated by non-morons) are demonstrably safer than non-Teslas or Teslas where drivers are not using AP.
Yes, possibly similar to the way that it's demonstrably safer to drive with your headlights off because the crash rate is higher with them on. Tesla does not control for when and where people use Autopilot in their statistics so I don't draw conclusions from them. I don't know.
They also use a different definition of accident than the non-Tesla data.
This isn't really relevant to the discussion though and has been argued about many times here.
Tesla does not report any "non-moron" statistics...
So getting to the original question, which was the wording of a poll asking about unsupervised accidents on AP/FSD are patently ridiculous.
I explained repeatedly why the question is not ridiculous (and is a question that Tesla themselves research!). It's just a completely different question than the safety of FSD Beta or Autopilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: daktari
I explained repeatedly why the question is not ridiculous (and is a question that Tesla themselves research!). It's just a completely different question than the safety of FSD Beta or Autopilot.
So the statistical rate of unsupervised accidents on FSD is not safety related?

If you're asserting this is related to future iterations of FSD (e.g., L3 or better), I might agree. But that's not what is being measured. What's being measured is with current software and hardware in the real world.

It is not related to the safety of FSD Beta or Autopilot. That's what I said.

It is related to the safety of non-beta (i.e. robotaxi) FSD.
I quoted the last public disclosure regarding extant hardware and software, which is exactly what your last sentence states.

In any case, no point in going around and around. We clearly disagree. Let's just leave it there.

I quoted the last public disclosure regarding extant hardware and software, which is exactly what your last sentence states.

In any case, no point in going around and around. We clearly disagree. Let's just leave it there.
I have no idea what you actually disagree with other than the premise of a question asked in a completely different thread.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
How can there be statistics for something that doesn’t exist?
Exactly! This "Safety" discussion is irrelevant (and off-topic) in that FSD beta is already out on public roads in myriad non-geofenced, unprotected - dare I say: UNSAFE environments?! The only difference is that we, who don't have it, are being denied access to it for no good reason. What makes the 70-some odd lucky sperm club better than us?!

Stop changing the subject, ladies&gents! The topic is the 'Official Button Watch' and, in my recovering/retired engineer's mind, the unequal distribution of it. We should not be requesting "The Button" from Elon, we should be demanding it!

Last edited:
Exactly! This "Safety" discussion is irrelevant (and off-topic) in that FSD beta is already out on public roads in myriad non-geofenced, unprotected - dare I say: UNSAFE environments?! The only difference is that we, who don't gave it are being denied access to it for no good reason.

Stop changing the subject, ladies&gents! The topic is the Official Button Watch and the unequal distribution of it. We should not be requesting "The Button" from Elon, we should be demanding it!
IMO Safety (or perceived safety) is the only plausible explanation for the absence of The Button. I haven't seen anyone propose an alternate explanation but I may have missed it.
I agree that the safety of non-beta FSD is completely irrelevant. When that's available there won't be a button.

IMO Safety (or perceived safety) is the only plausible explanation for the absence of The Button. I haven't seen anyone propose an alternate explanation but I may have missed it.
I agree that the safety of non-beta FSD is completely irrelevant. When that's available there won't be a button.
"Perceived safety"! Yes!! So, we the unwashed, are the victims of Tesla lawyers and PR? So, let's push for the rollout of The Button using our state certified driver's records. Let's put the power of our goobermints' knowledge of our driving records to work for those of us with zero points on our drivers' licenses.

I have. They don't want to deal with the amount of feedback that it would generate.

Reactions: pilotSteve