Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure it's been discussed...but Elon is saying the NN needs to be "completely retrained." There goes Tesla's supposed advantage in data and X million/billion of miles over competitors. With all of the rewrites, removing radar, etc. the # of miles talking point becomes less and less relevant.

It's actually the opposite. You would understand that if you had any semblance of knowledge on the topic.

There are already self-driving robotaxis on the road in China. Comments like "no other company is remotely close to Tesla" makes me wonder if people simply aren't aware that robotaxis already exist and are already in operation.
How generic are they ? Can we just put them in a different city and they would work ? Are they selling those "robo taxis" to customers ?

I'm just curious what will be different in 4 weeks? What is the criteria for wide release of FSD Beta?
I wonder if they're working on a version with less functionality and more confirmations because it's hard to imagine what else could be significantly different from where it is today.

Well, Elon said that V10 will go to a single stack for both highway and city driving. So presumably, that's what the retraining is for. They should already know what the safety is for city FSD Beta. So my guess is they will take a "few weeks", as Elon said, to make sure that the retraining did not break anything. We should also get the same FSD Beta visualization for both highway and city.

Well, Elon said that V10 will go to a single stack for both highway and city driving. So presumably, that's what the retraining is for. They should already know what the safety is for city FSD Beta. So my guess is they will take a "few weeks", as Elon said, to make sure that the retraining did not break anything. We should also get the same FSD Beta visualization for both highway and city.
Agreed. I don’t expect v10 to blow minds with city driving. I expect it will be more or less the same what we have now. With a single stack we may Possibly get better NoA on the freeway/auto park/summon

What is the criteria for wide release of FSD Beta?
I wonder if they're working on a version with less functionality and more confirmations because it's hard to imagine what else could be significantly different from where it is today.

I can smell your fear on this one! You're concerned they might just go ahead and release it in something close to its current form (something you have said you think will never happen as I recall)! It certainly is possible: the ultimate viral feature, optimized for YouTube - even better than Smart Summon! I guess we'll see. It's not going to happen in four weeks, of course, but in some short-medium term beyond that they could release something like this, I suppose.

You should keep the faith though - seems a little crazy, even for Tesla. The consequences are so much more serious in this case than they were with Smart Summon. And I don't really see what has changed since March so not sure why the result would be any different.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I can smell your fear on this one! You're concerned they might just go ahead and release it in something close to its current form (something you have said you think will never happen as I recall)! It certainly is possible: the ultimate viral feature, optimized for YouTube - even better than Smart Summon! I guess we'll see. It's not going to happen in four weeks, of course, but in some short-medium term beyond that they could release something like this, I suppose.

You should keep the faith though - seems a little crazy, even for Tesla. The consequences are so much more serious in this case than they were with Smart Summon. And I don't really see what has changed since March so not sure why the result would be any different.
What I actually said:
It's exciting because I have no idea what's going to happen. I wish I could vote Q4 and never.
Obviously it's better than it was in Q4 of 2019 though not nearly as good as I expected. I guess I said 100x better by the end of 2021 so there's still time!
I just don't see what's really changed. It doesn't seem any safer to release it today than it did in Q4 of 2019.
It will definitely be the most viral feature ever. I do think it will actually be released this time, there's no way Elon could do this to us again, he's a changed man.

What I actually said:

I wish I could vote Q4 and never.

One person, one vote.

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 3.11.06 PM.png

One person, one vote.
Only people who voted correctly (or at all!) can judge me.
Also, it hasn't been released and there were criteria!
"Quantum Leap" FSD is defined as the ability to legally drive from Bel Air to SpaceX in Hawthorne without driver intervention on at least a third of attempts. Positive confirmation does not count as an intervention but declining confirmation does.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
My take on beta 10 and the promise of a public fsd beta:

1) Beta 10's visualization will likely be based on the spatial RNN mapping that Karpathy mentioned during AI day. This means that the car will paint a more stable map of it's environment based on its confidence of the road geometry and features. With V9, the visualization is continually updated, so the NN is redrawing the visualization with every frame. With beta 10, the car will only draw what it's confident of, and the map is persisted after the car drives past the road geometry. The car will only overwrite a pixel if its confidence increases in subsequent frames.

2) Tesla's NNs are always completely retrained whenever they want to include a new or updated dataset. Karpathy even said so during AI day when asked about "continual learning" during Q&A. So what's Elon talking about when he says Tesla is retraining the NN? I think he's just saying that Tesla has updated their NN architecture, and it now needs to be retrained with the existing dataset.

3) How does Elon know beta 10 is next level if he's only driving 9.3? It's likely beta 10's NN has gone through several shadow modes, so it's getting to the point where it's ready, and they can see from the outputs of the shadow mode NNs that it's "next-level." We know this is the case because Elon has mentioned beta 10 for a while now, but the Tesla team didn't know exactly how many shadow builds it required to reach their deployment threshold.

4) It's still very unlikely The Button will be available in 4 weeks...

5) This is all my speculation. We can confirm once it's released soon.

Last edited:
My take on beta 10 and the promise of a public fsd beta:

1) Beta 10's visualization will likely be based on the spatial RNN mapping that Karpathy mentioned during AI day. This means that the car will paint a more stable map of it's environment based on its confidence of the road geometry and features. With V9, the visualization is continually updated, so the NN is redrawing the visualization with every frame. With beta 10, the car will only draw what it's confident of, and the map is persisted after the car drives past the road geometry. The car will only overwrite a pixel if its confidence increases in subsequent frames.

2) Tesla's NNs are always completely retrained whenever they want to include a new or updated dataset. Karpathy even said so during AI day when asked about "continual learning" during Q&A. So what's Elon talking about when he says Tesla is retraining the NN? I think he's just saying that Tesla has updated their NN architecture, and it now needs to be retrained with the existing dataset.

3) How does Elon know beta 10 is next level if he's only driving 9.3? It's likely beta 10's NN has gone through several shadow modes, so it's getting to the point where it's ready, and they can see from the outputs of the shadow mode NNs that it's "next-level." We know this is the case because Elon has mentioned beta 10 for a while now, but the Tesla team didn't know exactly how many shadow builds it required to reach their deployment threshold.

4) It's still very unlikely The Button will be available in 4 weeks...

5) This is all my speculation. We can confirm once it's released soon.
My prediction is that as Elon mentioned, highway driving, summon, auto park will be moved to a single stack(maybe not all at once), so there may be some potential improvements to those. (This is the best I hope to see)

Other than that, like you mentioned retraining NN on a new data set is not a big deal, and I expect the v10 performance to be incremental on par with V8.2->V9. I don’t think spatial mapping will be included in 10. Elon never mentioned anything along those lines and that would be a big deal.