Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in this situation but for the extended warranty (ESA) rather than for the service plan. My S60 was totaled 19 months into ownership and I had the P85D on order shortly after. Tesla clarified that they wouldn't be able to apply the extended warranty (that I paid $2,500 for before the price hike to $4,000 in July 2013) to the new vehicle but, they refunded the entire amount to me as I hadn't hit the 4-year/50,000 mile mark for activation of the ESA. I'd assume that they'd prorate the service plan accordingly and refund the unused part.

My car was totaled last week and Tesla has been sending me in a loop while I try to figure out if I can get a refund for the unused portion of the prepaid service plan and extended service plan. I went from a tesla service center to tesla hq to tesla sales support to tesla technical support back to the tesla service center. They said they don't know the situation for a totaled vehicle yet. As of right now I am regretting paying upfront.

My car was totaled last week and Tesla has been sending me in a loop while I try to figure out if I can get a refund for the unused portion of the prepaid service plan and extended service plan. I went from a tesla service center to tesla hq to tesla sales support to tesla technical support back to the tesla service center. They said they don't know the situation for a totaled vehicle yet. As of right now I am regretting paying upfront.

You can. Tesla refunded the full amount of the extended warranty and the unused portion of my service plan in 2014 when I sold my P85+.

You can. Tesla refunded the full amount of the extended warranty and the unused portion of my service plan in 2014 when I sold my P85+.

I was told today that they don't know if it will apply to a totaled vehicle instead of selling or upgrading. I had the understanding that I would be able to but there just seems to be a little doubt at the moment. Thanks for letting me know it has been done in at least a few situations.

I was told today that they don't know if it will apply to a totaled vehicle instead of selling or upgrading. I had the understanding that I would be able to but there just seems to be a little doubt at the moment. Thanks for letting me know it has been done in at least a few situations.

I'm sure that's deferred revenue and cannot be recognized until the service is performed. I doub they'd want that as a liability on their books forever. Or, I might be wrong.

If tesla allows it when you sell, it would make zero sense to not to allow it when the car is totaled. If that's the game they want to play, tell them you sold it to the wrecker.

Yeah, I don't know why Tesla is so shady when it comes to stuff like this.
I personally don't see it as "shady" or Tesla trying to hide something, as much as its just another example of Tesla's lack of operational organization. Today's owners expect a lot more attention to details like this than perhaps the earliest adopters did when Tesla was only a start-up and could almost hand-manage exceptions with a smaller number of owners. With more than 100K vehicles produced -- and growing rapidly -- they have a lot of catching up to do dotting the i's. ;)

I personally don't see it as "shady" or Tesla trying to hide something, as much as its just another example of Tesla's lack of operational organization. Today's owners expect a lot more attention to details like this than perhaps the earliest adopters did when Tesla was only a start-up and could almost hand-manage exceptions with a smaller number of owners. With more than 100K vehicles produced -- and growing rapidly -- they have a lot of catching up to do dotting the i's. ;)

I agree that it is a little lack in operational organization and lack of distributed communication.

I was told today that they just found out that it can be done. However, they are a little uncertain of the process and what all documentation is required. By the time my insurance finalizes everything, I'd imagine Tesla will know what needs to be done.

I agree that it is a little lack in operational organization and lack of distributed communication.

I was told today that they just found out that it can be done. However, they are a little uncertain of the process and what all documentation is required. By the time my insurance finalizes everything, I'd imagine Tesla will know what needs to be done.
Glad to hear you have received positive confirmation. The paperwork can follow.

If you don't get the 4 year service plan, how much does it cost to do the tire rotations?

If I bring the car in every two years, will they just charge $600/visit? Would they charge extra for any parts like windshield wipers or brake pads/rotors?

Just bumping this post, hoping someone has an answer. I have about ten days to decide to prepay for the service. (I'm leaning against it at this point.)

Just bumping this post, hoping someone has an answer. I have about ten days to decide to prepay for the service. (I'm leaning against it at this point.)
Why not just call your SC?

Some people have reported here that rotations are free -- but that's not documented somewhere so your "mileage may vary" as to if it's during warranty only or just because you have a MS. IDK for sure about your every-two-year question. Some service items like flushing battery fluid is only done every 2 years so don't know if that's included or not with a $600 fee vs if you have prepaid, it is for sure included; Reports upline in this thread and others are alignments are only free with prepaid service, so unsure if that would be part of the $600 or not; I suspect wiper blades are included -- they are with the prepaid. Personally, I'd call your SC and ask.

When I got home today I saw that my credit card received a credit from tesla in the amount corresponding to the unused annual services. No documentation was filled out on my part and I hadn't heard any information from tesla indicating a pending transaction but it seems like they went trough with it anyways.

When I got home today I saw that my credit card received a credit from tesla in the amount corresponding to the unused annual services. No documentation was filled out on my part and I hadn't heard any information from tesla indicating a pending transaction but it seems like they went trough with it anyways.
Great News. Tesla comes through doing the right thing. Thanks for reporting back.

Im guessing they are rethinking something ..... I too only see the tire replacement program and the price is now up to $900!

Maybe we get to click a button like a slot machine and the options spin and where they stop you either WIN or LOSE. Play again!

I find that Tesla's service plans rather costly for a car that has been touted to be "less maintenance and trouble free".
After dealing with the Big Three for over forty years, Tesla was like a breath of fresh spring air, in the regards of how they treated their customers. Now, I am beginning to rethink my Tesla Fever. There is so much confusion and wiggle room in these agreement's, that I am in dread, anticipating any kind of future failures with our Baby!
Right now, I am seeing the same type of Big Three mentality. When I reach out to my Tesla contacts, concerning basic questions, we never seem to reach a live person. Where is the Family support that was portrayed, when I was buying? I sure am thankful for TMC, at least here I find answers.

The variability in owner experience is a problem. If largesse is to be granted to some, then it should be granted to all - not used as some lever for inclusion or exclusion. At best, it shows a significant weakness in management style since this is a completely avoidable problem with clear and unambiguous communication. Instead, what's in writing says one thing and what happens, depending upon whether your dice roll was favorable that day or not, can be 180 degrees different. That tends to piss people off when those people care about accountability, predictability, consistency, and all sorts of words that end in 'y' - such as money.

There really is no excuse for this, and as one owner and shareholder, I'm tired of it, to the point that I'm pretty much resigned to walking away from the car at 50,000 miles. Definitely not the plan when I bought the car, arranged financing for the car, or invested considerable aftermarket dollars therein. However, open-ended service visit costs *after paying $4000 for an ESA plus plus plus* are silly.

I should note that I've been on the receiving end of such aforementioned largesse, but the resultant word of mouth is significantly muted because I shouldn't have had to wonder about it in the first place. You don't get quite so many points for solving a problem that you created in the first place. In other words, for the rose-colored-glasses-impaired, it is far better to run a smooth ship than to run it aground repeatedly and to then avoid sinking most of the time.

While I'm on the subject, and while I understand the mindset behind not offering a 100,001-150,000 mile warranty or ESA, and while I understand why CPO owners only get a 50,000-mile warranty from the point they buy the car (see the connection there?), it would go a LONG WAY toward boosting confidence in the car if Tesla offered such a 100,000-150,000 mile warranty or ESA for original owners at least (as a reward for their longevity if nothing else). Tesla could even make such a program VIN-dependent, which rather puts the company's money (or ours, since we'll pay for that extended coverage one way or the other) where its mouth is. Translated, that means for all VINs past, say, *50000 or *100000, there is now an option for said ESA. Which reflects the company's confidence in their words about improved product.

Hint, hint.

...There really is no excuse for this, and as one owner and shareholder, I'm tired of it...
I don't disagree with much of what you say. I'm also sorry about your customer dissatisfaction having gotten to where it is. Mine is also beginning to head in that direction. Hopefully though, you've expressed your concerns in a business-like manner and a documented form (email, snail-mail, or on a SC Invoice) directly to Tesla as I have, so hopefully eventually mgmt will see the growing concern from their owners.

I don't disagree with much of what you say. I'm also sorry about your customer dissatisfaction having gotten to where it is. Mine is also beginning to head in that direction. Hopefully though, you've expressed your concerns in a business-like manner and a documented form (email, snail-mail, or on a SC Invoice) directly to Tesla as I have, so hopefully eventually mgmt will see the growing concern from their owners.

Heh. You may certainly rest assured that my feedback has been, and will continue to be communicated in a "business-like" and "documented" manner. The next shareholders' meeting should be interesting as well.

Big picture remains good, short-term friction equally annoying.

The company will hit a home run with the Model 3 (hugely exciting) and beyond. Some people won't be happy until there's a pickup truck with a 400-mile range. That's fine. That day will come.

So I ask quite humbly...is this a car for the rich only? Are there issues that will likely cost a fortune as the car goes over 50k? I can afford a CPO but am quite nervous to make the plunge when I read threads like this.

Anyone care to offer a thought?

As long as it works, it will be great and you won't be disappointed.

• Challenge with all luxury brands -- some more so than others -- is price for parts is high, so if you end up needing any after warranty expires, it can hurt big time.
  • Tesla has less components when you talk about an engine/motor, but Tesla still has mechanical things that can wear or break: windows, door handles, steering wheel up/down/in/out, mirrors, mechanisms to lift and keep open the frunk and trunk, wheels, 12V battery, etc., and there is a huge dependence on electronics and software that drives it. Spend some quality time to read other threads here about specific issues some people are having -- but it appears to a large degree more recent builds are doing a lot better than the first off the line from a few years back -- so that could influence at least me if I were buying used, as to how old my MS really was if I bought CPO.
  • MS has been available for 3 years, so as to long-term reliability, it's a lot of opinion -- not fact -- how it will hold up over the long term. Other luxury brands have different models and MYs with varying reliability, but you can come to your own general conclusion with a history of their longer-term reliability in the brand. Not really so yet with Tesla, just because it's a young company with new products.
  • With other makes, you have options where to get service done and to varying degrees may have options with 3rd party parts if needed -- not so with Tesla in 49 of the States at least right now, where taking it to a SC and using Tesla parts is the only option unless you are comfortable with literally doing DIY. Check other threads for examples of people trying to put used 17" display into their MS on their own, and other larger service items.
  • If you happen to have an accident in your MS and need body shop work, that can cost big time and Tesla does not appear to always be super responsive providing parts to even their own certified body shops -- see other threads on all that.

All that comes across like doom and gloom ... but it seems you asked for a sort of reality check, so there are a few quick considerations off the top of my head (I know people will jump in with comments on each, but I tried for once to not write a book to head them off with this post of mine ;)). MS is a wondrous vehicle -- best I've ever owned technology-wise, but it's infrastructure isn't as mature when it comes to dealing with service beyond what a SC can provide, and there remain questions in my mind what life is really like beyond the 4-year warranty with MS -- I'm not so sure Tesla even really knows that fully in some ways. I personally decided making the leap from my extremely reliable Lexus where I owned 5 of them over 20 years and never put more than $500/year into servicing any of them, to hedge my bets with my MS buying a 8 year extended warranty the day after I took delivery -- yup, it has a horrid $200 deductible per item, but my thought was I at least won't get totally stuck with very significant unexpected costs while I own my Tesla unless I have the unfortunate need to go to a body shop. I could be wrong, but that's what I did to ease my personal concerns. I'll let you explore other threads on perceived value of that decision by others, as well as options you may or may not have with CPO. The last pointer I'll leave you with is I made a post on my personal website to answer some PMs and questions I was getting from friends that may be of interest... would I recommend a MS today? You're welcome to check that long dissertation out as well. Good luck with your decision!