Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any reason why I can't get tire rotation, wiper blade change, and filling fluids performed at a regular automobile service center?
What do I get for $600, other than being picked up from home and delivery after service?

As I understand it, Tesla will valet the car for warranty items as well so no service plan is needed. Might want to double check on that since I have always had the service plan so I always get my car picked up and dropped off.

Has anyone got tire rotation etc done elsewhere? Does it in anyway affect Tesla warranty?

I had a slow leak in one of my 19" tires three days ago. I had the local tire shop (Les Schwab) patch the nail they found in it. No charge! They are great people and I've purchased tires from them many times over the years.

Made a point however of asking if they had worked on Tesla's before. Manager said yes. I told him OK then but be sure to put it in jack mode with the air suspension. They drove the car into the bay and came back a few minute later. "Uhh, what was that about the air suspension? Can you show us what to do?". So I showed them, they demounted/repaired/mounted all fine. Very glad they asked me before lifting the car.

My take away: yes you can use good quality shops, just "trust but verify" they know ALL the steps needed.

I had a slow leak in one of my 19" tires three days ago. I had the local tire shop (Les Schwab) patch the nail they found in it. No charge! They are great people and I've purchased tires from them many times over the years.

Made a point however of asking if they had worked on Tesla's before. Manager said yes. I told him OK then but be sure to put it in jack mode with the air suspension. They drove the car into the bay and came back a few minute later. "Uhh, what was that about the air suspension? Can you show us what to do?". So I showed them, they demounted/repaired/mounted all fine. Very glad they asked me before lifting the car.

My take away: yes you can use good quality shops, just "trust but verify" they know ALL the steps needed.

Next time try America's Discount Tire in Vancouver. I have had better luck with them than Les Schwab.

I had a slow leak fixed by Tesla before, but I have another one now, and my local Tesla service center said Tesla no longer patch tires, apparently there was a bulletin sent out globally.

Thanks for the reminder on jack mode

Yes elsewhere, and done it myself. Make sure that they torque the wheels properly to 129 ft-lbs. It will not affect the warranty.
Also, make sure the shop knows where to put the lift arms on the frame, I read that if it's not done correctly and the car/battery is damaged, it *could* void the warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

Stated in the Model S manual (page 118) ;)

Annual Service Pros and Cons??

I hope this question isn't too far off topic for this thread, but I couldn't locate a thread that is more appropriate to ask it in. When I hopefully pick up my 85D later this month in Seattle, I assume I will need to decide if I want to sign up for the 4 year annual service package. At this point I am not really sure what the annual service covers beyond checking / adjusting wheel alignment, rotating tires, replacing wipers and washer fluid, possible checking the brake pads, drums and rotors. Unless there is something I am missing, it seems like charging $600 (or the discounted amount if I buy the 4 year package) for that amount of service is pretty overpriced, even for a Tesla. I am curious about how many other folks have signed up for the annual service. Any insight or thoughts on pros and cons of getting annual service would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

I hope this question isn't too far off topic for this thread, but I couldn't locate a thread that is more appropriate to ask it in. When I hopefully pick up my 85D later this month in Seattle, I assume I will need to decide if I want to sign up for the 4 year annual service package. At this point I am not really sure what the annual service covers beyond checking / adjusting wheel alignment, rotating tires, replacing wipers and washer fluid, possible checking the brake pads, drums and rotors. Unless there is something I am missing, it seems like charging $600 (or the discounted amount if I buy the 4 year package) for that amount of service is pretty overpriced, even for a Tesla. I am curious about how many other folks have signed up for the annual service. Any insight or thoughts on pros and cons of getting annual service would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

There's lots of thoughts in this thread that your post was moved to. Including links to the actual inspection sheets that Tesla uses.

Talked with the Service Center about the service plan. Their big argument for the pricing is that an alignment costs $200 and it's slightly less than half the cost of the Annual Service with the plan (a 3rd without). They provided me a copy of their checklist (she said they didn't like handing out blanks so she wrote Sample on it, hopefully I'm not getting her in trouble by posting this). Based on this checklist it's clear that this is more than just a change of wipers and key batteries.

She told me that the plan has the hard limits for mileage and time (within 1000 miles or 1 month of the limits). But that they have been more flexible than the required limits, particularly the mileage limits in cases where the yearly mileage was close to the mileage limits (she gave a 15,000 miles as a example for year where they'd ignore the 12,500 mile term). I got the clear impression that while they've been flexible on this that you shouldn't count on this as an ongoing policy.

She asked me if I had the resale guarantee when trying to explain why you should get the plan. I got the impression (though she didn't say so) that you should be doing the 12,500 miles service intervals if you want to preserve the resale guarantee. But since I don't have the resale guarantee we didn't get into that.

I asked about if the +4 would be available once the 4 year plan expired. But she couldn't answer that question, she said Ownership (who directed me to the Service Center to answer questions about the plan) should have answered this. Her understanding is the +4 isn't available at this time and that you shouldn't count on it becoming available.

Hopefully people find this helpful. I'm still undecided but I've got a while longer to decide.

Breser,
Thank you so much for moving my question regarding pros and cons of getting annual service to the proper thread - don't know how I missed it. I have only read backwards as far as your report above, and thus far I have read nothing that persuades me that getting annual service (either prepaid with a discount, or pay-as-you-go) is either necessary or a good value. I live 120 miles from Seattle (less than 60 from Vancouver, BC, where I think I could also get service, but think I will try a year without it and see how things go. If all I need at the end of the first year are the items on the Tesla service checklist, I think I will just pay for those ala carte - have trouble seeing how they could cost $600. BTW, what have you decided to do about annual service? As a previous owner you have way more experience at this than me, and have obviously done a whole lot more homework on this as well as many other Tesla related subjects.

Breser,
Thank you so much for moving my question regarding pros and cons of getting annual service to the proper thread - don't know how I missed it. I have only read backwards as far as your report above, and thus far I have read nothing that persuades me that getting annual service (either prepaid with a discount, or pay-as-you-go) is either necessary or a good value. I live 120 miles from Seattle (less than 60 from Vancouver, BC, where I think I could also get service, but think I will try a year without it and see how things go. If all I need at the end of the first year are the items on the Tesla service checklist, I think I will just pay for those ala carte - have trouble seeing how they could cost $600. BTW, what have you decided to do about annual service? As a previous owner you have way more experience at this than me, and have obviously done a whole lot more homework on this as well as many other Tesla related subjects.

I didn't actually move your post, but I did report it to the mods so they could move it. I didn't actually end up having the first car very long before I sold it back to Tesla to get the 85D I have now. So service wasn't something that I really had to deal with. I haven't really decided about yearly service other than to decide that I won't be buying the service plan.

It used to be that you could get unlimited ranger service with the service plan. This was a good deal.

This is no longer available. This makes the service plan pretty darn close to worthless. Everything you'll need to take the car in for is warranty work.

It used to be that you could get unlimited ranger service with the service plan. This was a good deal.

This is no longer available. This makes the service plan pretty darn close to worthless. Everything you'll need to take the car in for is warranty work.

Bingo! That is the conclusion I am arriving at as well, unless someone has thought of something we have overlooked.

Took mine in 2 1/2 yrs in and basically got new wipers and a car wash ....the brakes were nearly brand new 9mm...everything else fine ..I would skip the plan and take car every 3yrs or for warranty only

Every 2 years seems to be the sweet spot. They do a coolant replacement every 2 years.

Brake Fluid is flushed/changed at the 2 year interval as well. My service manager also stated they evacuate and recharge (and replace the accumulator/drier) the A/C refrigerant at 2 years too. I've never heard of that service on any other vehicle but we speculated that the A/C system is so critical to the battery thermal management that it is being done in an abundance of caution.

For a person who drive over 15k miles a year, it doesn't seem worth it to get the service plan from what I've gathered in this thread.

With that, it seems 2 years is a sweet spot to bring in for service. How much is that service cost if you didn't pay for the $600.00 per year or the pre-paid plan? What does it cover when you bring it in?