Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i love that service plans are now optional. It definetely makes more sense because Tesla kept on saying their cars were low maintenance and now their service plan reflects that. I do wonder how it will affect their balance sheet because I would imagine a lot of people who will forego a annual service plan that was orginially a $600/yr guaranteed source of revenue.

I waited also (had until 4/30) and was debating between the 4yr/$1900 and the 4+4/$3800. I'm now most likely going to plan on taking it in every couple of years or tying a "checkup" to warranty work I might wind up getting done. All in, I suspect I'll spend half of what I would have on the plan. I'm betting Elon realized that forcing the inspections at this cost was undermining one of the key cost-of-ownership advantages of the S over ICE's, in addition to annoying customers and looking inferior to BMW's maintenance strategy.

A lot of people (myself included) pay more for a used car with documented proof of regular maintenance. I think a few extra $600 visits will more than payoff in the long run when I sell the car privately.

I don't necessarily disagree (and certainly don't want to be argumentative), but I think that has a lot to do with the relatively fragile nature of an ICE. Blow off a few too many oil changes in a row and you could be setting up for major engine issues down the road, etc.

I just read on the website that Tesla Service includes:Annual inspection (or every 12,500 miles)
**Replacement parts like brake pads and windshield wipers (excluding tires)
***24 hour roadside assistance
System monitoring
Remote diagnostics
Software updates
New features

Do yout think this means that the software updates and new features won't be available for people who opt not to get the annual service plan?

I don't necessarily disagree (and certainly don't want to be argumentative), but I think that has a lot to do with the relatively fragile nature of an ICE. Blow off a few too many oil changes in a row and you could be setting up for major engine issues down the road, etc.

For me, it's got nothing to do with the engine. Lack of regular manufacturer recommended maintenance is a sign of an owner that doesn't properly care for their car. Owners that know what they are doing well enough to do regular maintenance themselves are fine, often better than those that do all their maintenance at the "stealership". However, someone that goes 2 years between proper inspections and service of their car is not going to get me to buy their vehicle without a discount.

For me, it's got nothing to do with the engine. Lack of regular manufacturer recommended maintenance is a sign of an owner that doesn't properly care for their car. Owners that know what they are doing well enough to do regular maintenance themselves are fine, often better than those that do all their maintenance at the "stealership". However, someone that goes 2 years between proper inspections and service of their car is not going to get me to buy their vehicle without a discount.

Ok then. Somehow the attempted graciousness was lost.

Where I differ from you is that I think what Elon is basically saying is that these "proper inspections" as you call them aren't really necessary. Note the blog language: "we are comfortable making the annual checkup entirely optional. There is still value to having Tesla look at the car once a year for things like tire alignment, to address a few things here & there and perform any hardware upgrades – our goal is not just to fix things, but to make the car better than it was." In other words, they really don't expect to find much to actually fix. Combine that with his comment about not wanting the service centers to run at a profit, and it's pretty obvious that the previous maintenance approach was overcharging for what they actually see themselves doing. At a minimum, the value of the inspections has now shifted dramatically away from maintaining the vehicle toward enhancing it. . .read the blog again. . .which may very well be worth paying for. Honestly I'd be a little surprised if they didn't revamp the whole plan structure.

Personally, in reality, I will likely be at the service center twice a year anyway for wheel/tire purposes (which would include alignment, by the way)--pretty sure my S will be running just fine when I go to sell it in 10-15 years.

Last edited:
I just read this in the Reuters coverage of the call
Tesla is also no longer requiring owners to pay $600 a year for service, similar to German luxury automakers that offer free vehicle service for the first few years.

How is this similar?
The German Luxury automakers offer 2 years of service for zero cost
Tesla offer the option of zero service for zero cost!

that's not similar!

I just read on the website that Tesla Service includes:Annual inspection (or every 12,500 miles)
System monitoring
Remote diagnostics
Software updates
New features

Do yout think this means that the software updates and new features won't be available for people who opt not to get the annual service plan?

This is a great question. And the answer certainly effects the value of the maintenance plans. I talked to customer service and they didn't have answers yet, although they expect to within 24-48 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

While you can elect to not get the service plan, no one invites a skunk to the party :)

Have to say this isn't up to your normal level of professionalism. :smile:

System monitoring
Remote diagnostics
Software updates
New features

Why should Tesla provide new features to people who don't pay for them?

Why should Tesla provide new features to people who don't pay for them?

They shouldn't. I think it's more an issue of whether there's a difference between a prepaid plan and the $600/visit pay-as-you-go. For example, would they provide system diagnostics or remote diagnostics for 12 months after your $600 visit? What about the first year before you go in for your first inspection? It's clear under the prepaid, but requires a little clarification under the pay-as-you-go.

Now that service plans aren't mandatory, will they offer customers who have already bought it a refund? I, for one, will keep my service plan, but I imagine others may decide to pass now that the warranty is still valid with or without a service plan.
The plan offered in Washington state allows full refund if canceled within 31 days. I haven't decided yet, but will probably keep it.

There is an odd requirement to cancel - must include a notorized statement of the vehicle mileage. Huh? I could understand such a thing for starting a plan, but for ending?

I

How is this similar?
The German Luxury automakers offer 2 years of service for zero cost
Tesla offer the option of zero service for zero cost!

that's not similar!
It's a totally YMMV depending on which automaker (German or not). The "free maintenance" that's included w/German cars has been a moving target in terms of how long and whether they offer it all, over the years. About the only one that has been consistent in offering "free maintenance" for a decent amount of time is BMW. See Free Vehicle Maintenance Programs: How They Compare -- Edmunds.com which has a link to http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/unversioned/img/pdf/free.vehicle.maintenance.programs/free.vehicle.maint.pdf.

IIRC, Mercedes dropped their included maintenance awhile ago, for example. (http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20041031/news_mz1d31benz.html) Audi ends maintenance was a change Audi made starting w/model year 07.

Last edited: