Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Thread: Cybertruck (Cybrtrk) Event - Nov 21, 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's obvious the designer of the CyberTruck has never used a pickup as a work vehicle. I imagine that those who have put down their orders will be using it for recreational purposes. As a work vehicle it's not very practical because it'll have the same problem the 1st generation Honda Ridgeline had: The lift-over height along the sides of the bed is too high to get stuff out, and that's no trivial matter. That'll eliminate a huge portion of potential buyers. Honda had the smarts to do a redesign for its 2nd generation.

Remember that CyberTruck can lower itself to a fairly low height, something other trucks can't do.

It's possible at its lowest setting the lift-over height is less than a 2020 F-150. Newer trucks are ridiculously tall.

Reactions: Runarbt
I do not know this as fact but I have heard that the flat panel styling was dictated by low ductility of the metal skin. If that is true, the skin may crack or shatter when deformed in a collision. Tesla seems committed to safety so I feel confident the truck will perform well in a crash.
I have been wondering about this: are there crumple zones? If the body panels are that hard, would they even crumple?
What about pedestrian safety? Would some countries deny this truck on that basis?

I probably posted 50 negative comments on the design of the Cybertruck last night. I was so very disappointed and upset by the design of this truck. Now, here we are 24 hours later.....and I reserved one. Damn you Elon! ;) .

Welcome to the dark/cyber side. :-D

You are not the only one. I broke after 10 minutes. ;-)

This will be my new favourite TMC thread.. I never go outside the general investment thread - thats in the past now. I am obsessed!

I admit, I ordered. I'll take the functionality and price even if the design is a little geometric. My first thought was Aztec failure but the Aztec was also a crappy car whereas the features and performance of this will surpass anything currently available or in development. This will be awesome for surf/ski trips with the family -- without the massive gas bill that comes with any other similarly sized truck. Maybe I can even rig it to sleep in at the ski hill. My only concern is it will be years before it comes and the specs will be worse than they're touting.

When did Tesla ever release a production car with specs worse the at the reveals? (Hint: Never) .-D

What really surprised me is other than a YT link from K-MTG, no one who attended the event chimed in here.

I was face palming quite a bit there, especially with the broken glass stunt. I was mourning for my TSLA shares for awhile. However I know that the truck is not what the company is betting on. Overall story still intact with GF3 coming online and the Y is going to be massively successful.

Many of you will not believe me, it took hours myself to arrive at this conclusion, but

YOU WILL BUY THE CYBERTRUCK (if you were going to get any truck or SUV)

This happens in a nutshell when the Rivian is going to be the same price with HALF the range and NONE of Tesla's other amenities.

An interesting thing I discovered is the Cybertruck rear seats will seat 3 more comfortable than the rear seats in a Model X.

Seems way out there but the truck could be the utilitarian refresh of the Model X we've been looking for.

Haha, I love all the outrage. Reminds me of the hate on Apple fan sites when they first announced the iPod.

I personally think it looks so absurd that I absolutely love it. I placed two orders for it to replace my Model 3 and Ram 1500.

99% of people might think it's fugly, but I LOVE it. It's so unique that I'd take it over a high-end Range Rover, G-Wagon, or even a supercar. Bottom line is that I'm buying it for me and not everyone else.
:)

Haha way to go, plus burglars won't want to steal it from you, and even if they do --they will eventually as the design grows on you every minute and there are many minutes left until production-- they will have a hard time breaking in ;)

I also love all the headlines picking out the broken glass rather than the F-150 and 911 crushes :)

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I was thinking of ordering one for winter driving around here, but then I thought, what is the current lowest priced dual motor Model S I can buy, just to have as a winter beater car and hauling stuff. The lowest price right now for a used 2015 70D with 45k miles, is $40k. USED. With a 2 year warranty and somewhere a little over 200 miles of range.

Or (in a couple of years), buy a NEW AWD Cybertruck, with over 300 miles of range, faster supercharging (although I'm sure they'll never put free SC on the CT), for just $10k more.

My point is, the cybertruck, when launched, is going to absolutely decimate the MS/MX used car market.

I’m in. Waiting for mine to be built. That said, The esthetic of the peaked roof above the driver door is unappealing to me. If that angle was rounded into the roof, in my opinion, the appearance of the whole truck would be more attractive.

so.... I think I will black it out, so it blends more into the glass. I’m thinking a little black vinyl adhered onto the the stainless steel along the roofline will do the trick.

in theory one wants to make zerohedge hate life .... but their crowd are yucking it up at the expense of the reveal. Would have LOVED to have watched video of the pickup pulling max weight 5th wheel, uphill, passing a black smoke belching cummins turbo diesel pulling a shorter 5th wheel. Maybe Tesla marketing think is different than mine.
(sigh)

Do we know the length and width of the bed, it says 6.5 feet long. How do we fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back.

I don't know that they've given the width of the bed, but the Cybertruck is 6.6ft wide...so I'd think the bed is at least 4ft wide. I suspect with the tailgate down you may not have any hanging off...should fit better than the Rivian with a 4.6ft long bed.

I don't know that they've given the width of the bed, but the Cybertruck is 6.6ft wide...so I'd think the bed is at least 4ft wide. I suspect with the tailgate down you may not have any hanging off...should fit better than the Rivian with a 4.6ft long bed.
Somebody at the event measured the bed width at 5.1 ‘..
Elon just confirmed flat black option.