Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Thread: Cybertruck (Cybrtrk) Event - Nov 21, 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Biggest plus for me is the ability to get 120/220 out. I live in Florida and when a hurricane knocks out power for days sometimes, having 75-100Kw sitting in the garage with no way to utilize that power is frustrating. I ordered the RWD model.

I think, in the medium term, that Tesla will be offering power out for all its car for its solar and battery customers. I am sure this is a very frequent customer request.

No need to put a big inverter in the car when there already is one in the garage.

Am I the only X+Airstream guy in this forum who didn't bite?

Very cool, I agree on the specs, they're incredible. I'm not sure what I'll be towing in 2023 (when bulk deliveries are more likely to begin) so I'm just going to wait and see. Maybe the rest of the cars on the road will catch up to this design in the meantime, and it'll look traditional in 2023.. ;)
Strip off all that curvy aluminium and rebuilt the Airstream to match the cybertruck, all you need is SS and a sheet metal brake!

Apropos the broken glass . . . I was elected, in the late 60’s, to introduce Black & Decker’s brand new, unbreakable poly 3/8” drill at a fairly large sales meeting of a Midwest Distributor’s staff. After describing of the benefits of this revolutionary new model, I finished by proclaiming its “unbreakability” while casually tossing it off to the corner of the stage . . . where, naturally, the housing broke.

I subsequently learned to my surprise that among most of the salespeople in the audience, there was little negative result. To the contrary, even having witnessed my embarrassing moment, there was general acceptance of B&D’s new model and respect for their engineering effort to make a better, more saleable product.

I feel that now about Elon’s way of thinking and working ‘outside the box’, building a better car and earning the grudging respect of many in the auto industry in just these few years.

. . . and I ordered mine, too.

Well, "work" encompasses a wide variety of activities. Where I live tradespeople drive far more vans than pickups. The van as a large moveable box is in most ways the most utilitarian vehicle.

But I do think that the cybertruck will appeal to a great many people who prefer truckish vehicles but don't need all the flexibility of a standard pickup bed. I agree with "recreational" in that many people will be buying the cybertruck with discretionary income, not as a logical business tool.

I don't know. As a business, it's a mobile billboard. It'll certainly grab attention as well as advertise that you're green. Not to mention the green the business will be saving. Looking at ROI alone, seems compelling.

• Informative
Reactions: Lasairfion
Rivian advertises their truck as being able to ford 3' of water. I wonder what the Cybertruck can ford (without damage)? Anything over the 16" clearance do you think?

I'd imagine 3' or better. Somewhere on Twitter Elon mentions that the model s can essentially be used as a boat if you have the speed while in a flood (he was half serious). I cant imagine the battery or any electronics would be hurt copying Rivian in any off-road challenge.

Reactions: Marcia L
So, now we know they tried before of course and the window did hold easily.

It will be interesting to learn later how this could possibly happen to break all of a sudden but here is the prove the windows are holding a steel bullet.

Elon Musk on Twitter

I'm glad they posted a video of this, but I don't actually think it's from before the reveal (although I hope it was). The suction cup on the passenger window suggests it was recently put in, the trim around all the windows has been removed, and I would imagine Elon would've posted this video minutes after the reveal if this were the case, and not 24 hours later, not to mention he would've said 'we literally just threw this ball at the window an hour ago'. He said they had thrown literally everything at it, but didn't say the steel ball just before the reveal. (to my knowledge).

Car to car charging would be a awesome feature, especially for service vehicles as they could really get rid of the "range anxiety" problem by introducing such a EV subscription service. The other reason is also for off-grid use, either for camping, working or when the power is out. In our part of the woods (Australia) there many offgrid towns, or towns working off microgrids (under 500kW average) that would really welcome the ability to plug in a few cars instead of getting a dedicated Tesla battery setup. Especially developing nations could profit from a "drivable grid" that can move energy around in the regions, or can be used as a buffer for RE and solar. With two car households one could argue that it is likely at least one vehicle is parked at home to buffer, or charge a Tesla wall when PV is not enough. If there's no car at home there's likely to be little to no load anyway, because most of the people are out of the house too. Or at least the parents/carers and therefore also typically the kids.

If you look up "grid-defection" you'll see that it is getting more and more common not to use a grid network for electricity distribution, the more embedded renewables there are, simply because the power lines aren't being used anymore, or not by far as much as they were previously. The best part is no part...so how do we charge our Tesla's and move electricity if the grid will go extinct in the next decade or two?

EKFf3HQWoAAJ299.jpeg

Most cars float, or at a minimum sink slowly depending on how good the door seals are. :p

It wouldn't be hard to make it amphibious. Raising the wheels using the air suspension will help make it move through the water better. Technically, you could probably have a powerful enough electric induction motor running off the 220V plug (5-10HP outboard equiv.). Maybe make that a hitch attachment and do some buoyancy measures, like shooting the cavities with closed cell foam?

Something tells me the Cybertruck will float, and maybe even propel itself through water. Thoughts?

As everyone in Arizona has heard a thousand times"don't drive in the water" And every year there are cars swept downstream with a great deal of effort to save the terrorized occupants.

but no, driving in a lake would not be recognized either, unless you saw a propeller

In my case for this truck, I do not believe that utility and power should surpass looks. For the utility part, I think Tesla could just as well have made a truck with a 6’5” bed without the truck having to look like a f—king triangle. For the speed, I do understand that this ridiculous design is more aerodynamic. However, I do not believe performance should compromise the looks.

For this model, I think Tesla should also offer a more stylish version so it can appeal to anyone looking for a nice truck to drive, without the performance.

I hope Tesla considers a slight design change to make it more attractive for all truck buyers rather than a very selective group of whoever the hell likes the design of this, because it won’t be long until the big brands like GM, Ford, and Ram come out with their own electric pick-ups, adding more competition to Tesla’s Cybrtrk, which probably won’t sell anymore by that time... or maybe I’m completely wrong, and the Cybrtrk will be commercialized in a time that every new car out there might be as boxy as it.

Anyway, at the moment, I’m not buying this design yet, Cybrtrk hasn’t really got me hooked yet. Like Marcus Brownlee said, “you either like it or you don’t”, and for the moment, I hella don’t!

I would have preferred taking the front end of the Model X and then design the rear bed, you need to be able to reach inside the bed from the sides. Also I want an 8 foot bed so I can close the tailgate with a sheet of plywood.
The plywood thing is interesting, because it's brought up a lot. Do you haul a lot of plywood? I get it on infrequent occasions, and it's usually a single sheet. I feel like the 8' bed is more important for things like sheetrock that don't have enough tensile strength to angle onto the tailgate. And I don't ever buy sheetrock - my experience with that work tells me I'm best hiring professionals. :)