Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Thread: Cybertruck (Cybrtrk) Event - Nov 21, 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Local guy who rode in it at the event said there was just the demo truck running test rides and they had replaced the glass after the demolition, I mean demo. Is that possible? Gotta have TWO panes of left side glass handy, pull off the door panels (2), remove the window regulators(2), remove and reinstall glass, regulators and panels. With Elon and Fritz and several hundred people waiting. Hell of a pit crew! I woulda just rolled them down, nice evening in LA and all.

It's true. We had to wait almost an hour before the rides started for the glass to be replaced. But you're making a lot of assumptions there. First of all, there was no indication that the windows even worked as windows. The demo truck was exactly that - a DEMO. The rear doors didn't even have door handles to get out, they had to let you out from the outside handles. The front "marble" dash appeared to be wood painted white marble. The inside rear door panels felt like they were being held together with wire-ties (at least to me). So maybe they had to remove the panels and replace the glass, but I'm sure there were zero mechanicals inside the doors other than the outer retracting door handle (like Model S) and a latch.

• Informative
Reactions: Curious George
Hey, this is what I guessed upthread!
(whether I believe it or not is another story)

1B40264D-7EA2-4E91-8757-2D80EB826C26.jpeg

I think you are reading to much into the exact voltage, as it really doesn't matter.

In Norway we call it either a 220v system or 240v system, and they are both basically the same thing for the consumer.
You can use the same electric device both in Norway, UK, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, etc...

However, if you want to go into the technical portion of it, there's some differences, like different delivery systems, 2 fase, 3 fase, 440v divided to 230v, it system, etc etc, but still wouldn't matter to the consumer or the electronic device.

only for the uneducated consumer. Go look up the UPS specs in a data center. Or the output of a stay live circuit on a PV system that works when the grid goes down. Systems have to be specced with a minimum, maximum, and nominal voltage.

In the US nominal is 120v and 240v and has been since the 1900s. Just because some uneducated consumer says it's 220v doesn't mean it's OK to put out 220v here. We have standards.

In the United States in the 1920s, utilities formed joint-operations to share peak load coverage and backup power. In 1934, with the passage of the Public Utility Holding Company Act (USA), electric utilities were recognized as public goods of importance and were given outlined restrictions and regulatory oversight of their operations.

In 1942, the Edison Electric Institute published the document Utilization Voltage Standardization Recommendations, EEI Pub. No. J-8. Based on that early document, a joint report was issued in 1949 by the Edison Electric Institute (EEI Pub. No. R6) and the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA Pub. No. 117). This 1949 publication was subsequently approved as American National Standard EEI-NEMA Preferred Voltage Ratings for AC Systems and Equipment, ANSI C84.1-1954.

ANSI C84.1 Service Voltage Limits

Ø Range A minimum voltage is 95% of nominal voltage
Ø Range A maximum voltage is 105% of nominal voltage

so 220v here is ~9% below nominal and thus out of range and not allowed.

The Canadian standard is CAN3-C235-83 and allows for a slightly wider range of roughly -8%/+4%.

Each country will have a similar standard and you can't just go around spitting out whatever voltage the locals call it and ignore those standards.

• Disagree
Reactions: JBee
only for the uneducated consumer. Go look up the UPS specs in a data center. Or the output of a stay live circuit on a PV system that works when the grid goes down. Systems have to be specced with a minimum, maximum, and nominal voltage.

In the US nominal is 120v and 240v and has been since the 1900s. Just because some uneducated consumer says it's 220v doesn't mean it's OK to put out 220v here. We have standards.

Well yes, the standards are there for the uneducated customer, so he/she can be safe and "dumb" and not worry about it.
Normal people call it different thing, depending on where and when they are from.
I don't need to go and look up ups centers, work alot with electronics, and we often use a ups as a "filter" for supply on different things.

Each country will have a similar standard and you can't just go around spitting out whatever voltage the locals call it and ignore those standards.

That's correct, but this is hairsplitting, rule of thumb in Norway and CE marked equipment is 10%, that would mean that everything from 207V to 253V, it's okay.
So, does it matter if you call it 220V or 230V?
-heck, you can even call it 207V and still be inside the norm...

If you need a "cleaner" power supply, use a "filter", that's the reality of things.

However, by arguing with the voltage of it, you completely ignored the different systems as I wrote earlier, there are a few differences in both null line and other things. But for a normal consumer, these things don't matter, for them it's still a 220V supply.

So as long as they can deliver around 230V ac, all approved electrical consumer goods will work.

How things are in Canada, I don't know, but here in EU / Scandinavia, it will work on 220v.

Reactions: JBee
Brakes are relevant in those parts of the world where regen is a summer only feature.
If it's cold enough to seriously limit your regen for more than a few minutes, then it's also cold enough that brake airflow should be fairly irrelevant in regards to maintaining a cool temperature for your brake system. Even in an ICE car it's very unlikely your brakes hit anywhere into the triple digit temps in the winter unless you're tracking it or really pushing the car. If that's the case, your battery will heat up fast and it's a non-issue.

But Elon, that doesn't explain the rear window breaking. :rolleyes:
They said at the event (according to some YouTubers and a Tesla employee) that the rear window wasn’t the strengthened glass. No balls were supposed to be thrown at it.

It’s a story. Doesn’t take away that doing these things live on stage is a bad idea with very limited upside. A produced video would have been more effective. Maybe get the people who did the FSD video..?

They said at the event (according to some YouTubers and a Tesla employee) that the rear window wasn’t the strengthened glass. No balls were supposed to be thrown at it.

Um.. I think if anyone knew which glass was hardened or not, it would have been Elon.. and he certainly would have known better not to try it live on stage.

Also, the rear glass broke exactly the same way as the front glass broke. If the rear glass wasn't hardened, it's likely the steel ball would have gone through leaving a gaping hole. And I think that's a risk Elon would never have taken if there was even the slightest chance the rear glass wasn't the same material as the front glass.

Reactions: Falkirk and dwalme
Um.. I think if anyone knew which glass was hardened or not, it would have been Elon.. and he certainly would have known better not to try it live on stage.

Also, the rear glass broke exactly the same way as the front glass broke. If the rear glass wasn't hardened, it's likely the steel ball would have gone through leaving a gaping hole. And I think that's a risk Elon would never have taken if there was even the slightest chance the rear glass wasn't the same material as the front glass.
Again, I’m just repeating what they’ve said. I’m not making any excuses for the stunt.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Local guy who rode in it at the event said there was just the demo truck running test rides and they had replaced the glass after the demolition, I mean demo. Is that possible? Gotta have TWO panes of left side glass handy, pull off the door panels (2), remove the window regulators(2), remove and reinstall glass, regulators and panels. With Elon and Fritz and several hundred people waiting. Hell of a pit crew!
I would guess they had a second trck

I woulda just rolled them down, nice evening in LA and all.
That's not gonna happen with broken windows

Yeah second window has a bit of hole in the story... it definitely looked like the same type of glass, very non glass type of break. If you look at the door hammering video frame by frame the second swing really produced some movement in the panel, and the handle nearly came all the way out. Maybe it was enough to damage both. Point is we did see it work in the workshop test, so it does work, would just be interesting to know exactly, or replicate it to be sure. I'm sure they'll test it. I don't think it was meant to be bullet proof. Was there any mention if the amoured glass was going to be an option or standard feature?

Last edited:
It looks more like a cross between a Delorean and a Hummer. Super badass in my opinion. Already have my $100 down. This tank will go great with my Model 3. My wife can drive the M3, I'll take this Cybertruck. Can't wait to start driving over curbs, lol. I'm looking forward to seeing how this Cybertruck develops into a production model. I'm sure there will be some modifications along the way. Diffidently thinking outside the box. I was disappointed at first as my expectations were totally different, but after day one, I'm thinking this is going to be a winning design in terms of function. Even style with some graphics. I see the body as a blank canvas. Money to be made by graphic designers!

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I don't think it was meant to be bullet proof.

I'm seeing this confusion all over the web.. there were no claims the glass was bulletproof. Only the steel skin was bullet resistant to a 9mm round. I place this common misconception/fault on the presentation itself that kind of conflated the bullet test with the window test in quick succession. But the glass is *NOT* bulletproof.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando and ohmman
I agree. The hole glass fiasco shattered that dream. :)

Even the bullet proof SS walls were only a side product of the unibody/exoskeleton which make the skins carry the load.

Someone should post a transcript of the presentation so its clear how it came about. The only hint was that EM said the glass was vulnerable. But that is vague at best.

Where do the rear seat passengers store their heads?

OK, last time I replied with a picture of the cybertruck only. Maybe this composite answers the question better. See how insanely tall this thing is.

If there is head room in the smaller cars why wouldn't there be head room in this cybertruck?

upload_2019-11-25_16-48-48.png

OK, last time I replied with a picture of the cybertruck only. Maybe this composite answers the question better. See how insanely tall this thing is.

If there is head room in the smaller cars why wouldn't there be head room in this cybertruck?

View attachment 481288

Well, it depends how high the floor pan is. Ground clearance + pack thickness offset vehicle height.
Sounds like there is plenty though (for more typical people)