Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Upcoming Model S Price Increase & Timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make Supercharging for 85 kwh cars optional?

The other things people are proposing are certainly possible, but I'm not sure that trying to sell a top of the market priced car with lots of nickle and dime options is a very wise idea. Apart from annoying people, it means the number of configurations and consequent manufacturing problems rises considerably.
For the record I wasn't recommending any particular exclusions, just listing some that seemed like possibilities.

I think they're going to separate out heated seats. $500 option.

I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Is there any technical reason to limit it to the leather package (which I don't want)? My better half's SUV also has leather w/heated seats; is it normally paired like that by traditional carmakers?

- - - Updated - - -

That's assuming the price increase comes before that happens though.

And that it is an across the board base-price hike that will affect the 40 and 60 packs. It might not be that simple....

I'm somewhat surprised there's not hypotheses of the infotainment screen being an option (or maybe I missed it). Obviously that would be very tough to do, since at present it controls everything, and there are no hard buttons to replace it. But theoretically, it could be replaced by a smaller screen, or even hard buttons.
I don't think it would be a cost saving measure for Tesla to do with "S, next revision" with it this far along. It might be for X or Bluestar.

They need to raise the Model S price - Tesla has said publicly that the Model X will be priced similarly to the S. If they don't raise the price, then they're stuck with 2012 prices in 2014. (Because, for instance, there is a certain forum that would go crazy saying 'but you said it would be the same'.) As much as I hate the prices being raised, knowing it will impact the X price (considering y'know), it's only prudent.

And that it is an across the board base-price hike that will affect the 40 and 60 packs. It might not be that simple....
+1 Who says they're even going to increase the price on 40 or 60 packs? I would bet money that the Perf cost will go up but otherwise we don't know anything. If you're nervous then plop down the $5k and wait for the announcement. Once they announce pricing you can pull the trigger on the old pricing, move to the new pricing (maybe they break out some options that you want from options you don't want thereby making the new pricing cheaper), or get a refund. Wild speculation from some on this thread is not productive.

+1 Who says they're even going to increase the price on 40 or 60 packs? I would bet money that the Perf cost will go up but otherwise we don't know anything. If you're nervous then plop down the $5k and wait for the announcement. Once they announce pricing you can pull the trigger on the old pricing, move to the new pricing (maybe they break out some options that you want from options you don't want thereby making the new pricing cheaper), or get a refund. Wild speculation from some on this thread is not productive.
And if you're a betting man and have money to be with, put down a reservation now as a profit opportunity.

I'm somewhat surprised there's not hypotheses of the infotainment screen being an option (or maybe I missed it). Obviously that would be very tough to do, since at present it controls everything, and there are no hard buttons to replace it. But theoretically, it could be replaced by a smaller screen, or even hard buttons.

Given that the whole car revolves around this screen, I seriously doubt it's practical. I suppose a smaller screen with a scroll bar or something could work, but hard buttons seems very unlikely and kinda against how they approach things. Plus that seems to move away from "Standard-->Optional" and into the realm of adding a new option, which isn't what they said was coming. Anything's possible, but I just can't see this.

Could you please elaborate further on this... what difference do you expect to find between test driving a lower battery pack Model S vs. an 85kwh pack model?

I'm a little late to this party, but I figured I'd share my thoughts on this price increase. To put it bluntly I think it sucks. This is especially true in light of the fact that many of us have delayed executing our reservations because Tesla hasn't even given us the opportunity to test drive the lower battery packs or be able to see all options in the flesh. How do you raise prices on people when you haven't even presented them the chance to the see the product they're purchasing?

Could you please elaborate further on this... what difference do you expect to find between test driving a lower battery pack Model S vs. an 85kwh pack model?
The smaller packs are not as quick as they can't deliver as much current as the larger packs and that means less power. I assume he would want to test drive a smaller pack to see if the increased performance is worth the extra money even if he doesn't need the range.

They need to raise the Model S price - Tesla has said publicly that the Model X will be priced similarly to the S. If they don't raise the price, then they're stuck with 2012 prices in 2014. (Because, for instance, there is a certain forum that would go crazy saying 'but you said it would be the same'.) As much as I hate the prices being raised, knowing it will impact the X price (considering y'know), it's only prudent.

Anything up to $10,000 for the Model X qualifies as similar to me, thats only 15% more. I dont see why the Model S price needs to change to enable a higher Model X price.

here's my thoughts re the price increase:

1. yes, they need to increase the price for next year (they are already taking reservations for then - fall of 2013) so they are not stuck selling a car at a year behind price.
2. hopefully it will increase resale as I've known companies who discount cars so much that it kills resale of existing owners vehicles

Now, for what I am really concerned about:

I'm from BC. I'm hoping to get my email in a couple weeks (P244) and praying that my car arrives before April 1st. Why? Because on that date our luxury vehicle tax comes back 3% added to our GST and PST 12%. ADD to that, that we also loose our $5k rebate from the government on April 1st... so that increases the price a-lot... so, if the car arrives on April 2nd I'm paying a ton more for my car.

Therefore, If the email comes Jan 1st and they want me to lock in, and the car is projected to arrive April 2nd, I would have no choice but to defer a few months to save up the difference on the car. BUT, if they only let me defer a month before hitting me with the new price... well, then I'm paying Price Increase + 12% + 3% + $5,000.... for a car I've been waiting for for over 3 years. And like another poster said, people who reserve today get the benefit of being able to save up for 9 months and buy the car at the lower price. It might have been smarter to wait until today to reserve in that case.

My hope is that they say you have to confirm your car by a certain calendar date rather than a number of days after getting the confirmation email. OR, let you defer once up to a certain date.

Just rambling... :)

The smaller packs are not as quick as they can't deliver as much current as the larger packs and that means less power. I assume he would want to test drive a smaller pack to see if the increased performance is worth the extra money even if he doesn't need the range.

Also consider that the smaller packs will see tougher average usage (more amps per cell). I don't know how that impacts battery life, but I'm sure it doesn't improve it.

My response to the impending price increase is simply to make another $5K Model S reservation in the 15,000 range this week. I already have #4,491 but I can't "finalize" it yet. The simple reason is I'm waiting for the leasing program in the summer of 2013 because it will provide a better tax deduction for my business. Also, I had to replace my leased business vehicle in May earlier this year with a 24 month lease of a 2012 Benz ML 350 Bluetec, since I couldn't wait until Dec. to get a Model S. I don't want excessive payment overlap, and knew I won't want to drive the ICE SUV anymore once I get my Model S except to go to Tahoe in winter. I've already put 10K/24K miles on the Benz to "use up" it's leased miles ASAP. Therefore, I can't lose with this pricing increase, since I won't be forced to "Finalize" to keep the old prices on my new reservation until sometime later in 2013. It is also a "win" for TSLA since they will have another "reservation" to tally for their next quarterly report, and the free $5K loan from me.

I'm very happy to receive their "heads-up" on this price increase. Otherwise, I would have been very annoyed had it come with no warning at all. I'm also in the camp that wouldn't mind paying a higher price (if not crazy) on a Model S Perf. if it means I can order ACC and proximity sensors. These are two options I always get on my Benzes (plus lane keeping assist, brake assist, automatic || parking, etc.), and would really miss those two on the Model S. All the others I can happily live without -- they're just bundled in a Benz option package. I plan to payoff the lease and keep my Model S for a very long time... :)

Happy Holiday Season to all!

PS. Living in Fremont's Hills, I drive the Mission Blvd to I-880 N exit very often which has a nice view of the Model S shipment staging area. I've noticed more and more vehicles in their classy white covers waiting to be picked-up or shipped. This morning, I saw at least 2 large transporters there being loaded, too. A lot of holiday presents for lucky new Model S owners are on their way! :)

Last edited: