Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Upcoming Model S Price Increase & Timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to see how they change the pricing before I sign. The price increase could be a good thing depending on how they do it... For example, they could break down the Tech Package into individual options, and make the sum of those options more expensive than the current package deal. That would effectively raise prices, while simultaneously giving buyers more choice.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't mind an opportunity to pick and chose specific features. But if Tesla is just going to raise rates without adding additional value, then I'll just finalize my order to lock in the cheaper price. But I hope they release details about the new pricing so I can at least make an informed decision.

@jomo (and others whipsawed by having to defer to await other developments);
another option: make a 2nd reservation now. If your existing window closes before you can finalize, cancel the 1st res. and go with the 2nd. Otherwise, cancel the 2nd one.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't mind an opportunity to pick and chose specific features. But if Tesla is just going to raise rates without adding additional value, then I'll just finalize my order to lock in the cheaper price. But I hope they release details about the new pricing so I can at least make an informed decision.

I hope so to. My letter is:

You have already received your Invitation to Configure, so you can finalize your order at any time. In order to ensure you have the fully allotted time to finalize your order, you will receive a "second invitation" in the next few days that will begin a new three-week timeline. If you configure your car and finalize your order at any time between now and three weeks after receiving the new invitation, you will not be subject to the price increase.

What I don't understand is why mine is "next few days" at P7971 while P4398's letter says "in a month or two".

I just received an email, however my browser won't let me paste into this reply box so I'll summerize.

Current reservation holder (before the price increase) will have 4 weeks to finalize after receiving their finalize emails.
There was nothing about the details of the situation if you defer.
The price increase is expected in the next few days.

Also, it suggest that "depending on when you made your reservation, you will likely receive your email to finalize between now and the end of January". To me that means that they expecct to have every current reservation to the point of finalizing by the end of January (or shortly after). So extrapolating using the 5 months to delivery from finalization, it's possible that they expect to have all current reservations delivered by July. hope so because that is exactly when I was going to be needing a new car!

- - - Updated - - -

I think this was a great example of good communication, because as people hoped, they are giving the timeframe before the actual price increase. This should help those currently at the finalize email make up their decision about whether it will be worth it to jump to the back of the line or not... Granted, they could announce the prices that it is going to before they make it officially in place, and that would really help, but there might be a reason for not doing that...

Isn't it: The price increase will be announced "in a few days". Current reservation holders who have already had an opportunity to finalize will receive a reminder also "in a few days" to finalize that will start the clock to finalize under old pricing. High # reservation holders who have not yet had a chance to finalize will receive an invitation to finalize "in a month or two" that will start their clock to finalize under the old pricing.

?

does the difference between "next few days" and "couple months" has something to do with people who have deferred. I also don't understand why someone who hadn't received an email to finalize (above) recieved an email saying they will receive a second email to "finalize". Maybe you missed the first email to finalize?!

- - - Updated - - -

wow, after re-reading that, I apologize for the horrible grammer... i blame the crappy keyboard of the tablet I'm typing on

Hi all I have been lurking for several weeks now. I am P12991. I received the price increase email stating that I will receive another email between now and the end of January at which point I will have 30 days to finalize. My concern is now I will need to make all my decisions 6 - 7 months before I expect to ale delivery on my S. So many things can happen between February and September.

However, the goods news is that this process may enable me to skip ahead in the line as the email also states that the sequence f production will be determined when the finalzed order s received, not based upon your reservation number.

here is the complete text of the email.

We will be announcing a price increase for Model S in the next few days.

This is our first price increase since the introduction of Model S and it is very important that we implement this in a way that recognizes those who already have a Model S reservation. This price increase will not apply to anyone with an existing reservation... as long as they finalize their order within a reasonable, predefined timeframe after receiving their "Invitation to Configure."

You will likely receive your invitation to configure between now and the end of January depending upon when you made your reservation. If you configure your car and finalize your order within four weeks after receiving your invitation, you will not be subject to the price increase.

Customers most often want to know if they will be invited to configure in the order in which they placed their reservation. The answer is 100% yes. However, we are finding that some customers finalize their order quickly while others take longer to complete their design and submit final paperwork. As a result, those invited later with "higher" sequence numbers are moving ahead of those with "lower" sequence numbers on a weekly basis.

To be fair, we fill all open production slots with the lowest sequence number reservations that have finalized their order. We need to do this in order to fill all production slots each week. This means the sooner you finalize your order, the sooner your Model S will be headed your way.

Keep an eye out for your Invitation to Configure your Model S!

So 5673 and 4398 got "a month or two", while 7971 and 8189 (me) got "the next few days". I assume there are no deferrals in play here. They shouldn't know what battery we're going with, so that shouldn't matter for this purpose, unless they're monitoring our design studio activity and guessing. . . .

Here's what my version of the letter said:
Dear Robert,

We will be announcing a price increase for Model S in the next few days.

This is our first price increase since the introduction of Model S and it is very important that we implement this in a way that recognizes those who already have a Model S reservation. Thank you for completing the configuration process and finalizing your order in a timely manner.

We have everything we need to build your Model S and this price increase does not apply to you.

Sit back, relax and look forward to the arrival of your Model S!

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, and here's the official email that just went out to the shareholder list:
Tesla Motors Sets New Pricing for Award-Winning Model S
New Pricing Reflects First Increase in Four Years at Only Half the Rate of Inflation
PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 11/29/12 -- Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) originally unveiled the Model S in March 2009 with a base price of $57,400 ($49,900 after federal tax credits). Today, Model S is the most award-winning car of the year and the base price remains at $57,400, the same price set over three and a half years ago. During this same period of time most automotive companies have had at least three price increases and general inflation (CPI) has gone up 8.75 percent. A straight 8.75 percent CPI increase would now yield a base price for Model S of $62,400, an increase of $5,000. Tesla is increasing prices only half that amount, giving Model S a new base price of $59,900 before federal tax credits.

The price increase announced today will be for new reservations starting January 1, 2013. These new reservations will begin deliveries several months later, which means the new prices will actually go into effect over four years after Tesla originally set base pricing for Model S.

"We believe it is a positive reflection on our design process and disciplined, long-term planning that enabled us to increase prices for the first time in four years at only half the rate of inflation," said
George Blankenship, vice president of worldwide sales and ownership experience. "As a company we will always strive to deliver our customers the most innovative cars in the world while minimizing price increases as we have done today."

This price increase will not apply to anyone who has or makes a reservation by end of day on December 31, 2012... as long as they finalize their order within a reasonable, predefined timeframe after being invited to configure their Model S.
In Canada, the base price of Model S will increase $2,600CAD and implementation will be the same as in the U.S.

About Model S
Model S is the world's first premium sedan built from the ground up as an electric vehicle and has been engineered to elevate the public's expectations of what a premium sedan can be. At the heart of Model S is the proven Tesla powertrain, delivering both unprecedented range and a thrilling drive experience. With a rigid body structure, nearly 50/50 weight distribution and a remarkably low center of gravity, Model S offers the responsiveness and agility expected from the world's best sports cars while providing the ride quality of a luxury performance sedan. Model S has received many awards and accolades during its first year on the market, including Motor Trend's prestigious 2013 Car of the Year.

Setting the bar for electric driving range, Model S offers 40 kWh, 60 kWh and 85 kWh battery options. All deliver unprecedented range, with the 85 kWh variant achieving an EPA-certified range of 265 miles. All three batteries use automotive-grade lithium-ion cells arranged for optimal energy density, thermal management, and safety.

Without an internal combustion engine or transmission tunnel, the interior of Model S has more cargo space than any other sedan in its class and includes a second trunk under the hood. The Model S interior features a 17" in-dash touchscreen with Internet capabilities, allowing for streaming radio, web browsing and navigation.

About Tesla
Tesla's goal is to accelerate the world's transition to electric mobility. Palo Alto, California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs and EV power train components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. Tesla has delivered more than 2,400 Roadsters to customers worldwide. Model S, the first premium sedan to be built from the ground up as an electric vehicle, began deliveries in June 2012.

Mod Note: Merged threads as the timeline discussion was developing in both places. Changed title to reflect discussion direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Official notice of dates and pricing:

[FONT=&amp]Tesla Motors Sets New Pricing for Award-Winning Model S
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
New Pricing Reflects First Increase in Four Years at Only Half theRate of Inflation
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]PALO ALTO,CA[/FONT] -- (Marketwire) -- 11/29/12 -- TeslaMotors (NASDAQ: TSLA) originally unveiled the Model S in March 2009 with a base price of $57,400 ($49,900 after federal tax credits). Today, Model S is the most award-winning car of the year and the base price remains at $57,400, the same price set over three and a half years ago. During this same period of time most automotive companies have had at least three price increases and general inflation (CPI) has gone up 8.75 percent. A straight 8.75 percent CPI increase would now yield a base price for Model S of $62,400, an increase of $5,000. Tesla is increasing prices only half that amount,giving Model S a new base price of $59,900 before federal tax credits.

[FONT=&amp]The price increase announced today will be for new reservations starting January 1, 2013. These new reservations will begin deliveries several months later, which means the new prices will actually go into effect over four years after Tesla originally set base pricing for Model S. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"We believe it is a positive reflection on our design processand disciplined, long-term planning that enabled us to increase prices for thefirst time in four years at only half the rate of inflation," said
George Blankenship, vice president of worldwide sales and ownership experience. "As a company we will always strive to deliver our customers the most innovative cars in the world while minimizing price increases as we have done today."
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
This price increase will not apply to anyone who has or makes a reservation by end of day on December 31, 2012... as long as they finalize their order within a reasonable, predefined time frame after being invited to configure their Model S.
[/FONT]

In Canada,the base price of Model S will increase $2,600CAD and implementation will be the same as in the U.S.

While nobody likes to see prices go up, Tesla is handling perfectly. They are giving plenty of notice, and not asking anyone to pay more than they had planned on when they made their reservation. They are also giving plenty of time for anyone who is on the fence about a reservation to lock in at the old pricing.

Non-finalized Reservation Holder Very Happy with Price Increase Structuring

As an existing reservation holder (#4,491) who hasn't finalized yet due to two reasons already mentioned in this thread, I'm very happy (also as a TSLA stockholder) with the way Tesla is doing their first Model S price increase.

By giving people a chance to reserve at the old prices by December 31, 2012, they will stimulate many additional reservations in the 4th quarter. At that same time, they are allowing people like me who can't finalize yet to make an additional reservation towards the end of Dec. to get a higher reservation number, which will give us the extra time we need. (In my case, I want to take advantage of their "Summer 2013 leasing program" if the residual value and money factors are reasonable. I'd also like to see the addition of a few new options like ACC and proximity sensors.)

My thanks to GeorgeB and his team for the way you have positioned this price increase, and for being able to bring it in at 1/2 the CPI rate of inflation!