Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Offside rear click on acceleration/deceleration transition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

Driving about with the window open today I noticed almost every time I transitioned between acceleration and deceleration (either way) I got a click from the right rear.

Do others notice the same/is it normal or a problem brewing?

Thanks

Reactions: beachmiles
I have an odd clicking sound as well on acceleration/deceleration but I thought mine is on the drivers side.

It’s not always, I tend to think it’s at the start of journeys for like the first 10 minutes maybe. I’ve not reported to Tesla yet because I can’t work it out.

Thanks for the replies. It’s an M3.

@melduk - sounds like it’s the same thing as you have (mine’s drivers side - but perhaps only as that is the window open/where my ears are). I too feel it’s intermittent - perhaps weather/window open vs closed. Happier someone else has it/will just assume a standard feature.

I’m not worried about it but when the music isn’t on it drives me up the wall 😂.

I haven’t tested yet but I was thinking maybe the AC causes it? When it needs to work harder, that would sort of line up with your window theory because if the window is open it would have to work harder.

I turn my a/c off when the window is open - and it clicks with transitions between acceleration/deceleration.
Ahhh okay was just a theory, I had also suspected it was transitions between accel/decal so it’s sounding like it’s that then? Maybe I don’t notice as much further into a journey because once I get going I’m usually on a motorway where there’s little accel/decel.

If I find out anything more useful I’ll be sure to post here my findings :)

Eventually I plan to report to Tesla but feel I need more info first.

Ahhh okay was just a theory, I had also suspected it was transitions between accel/decal so it’s sounding like it’s that then? Maybe I don’t notice as much further into a journey because once I get going I’m usually on a motorway where there’s little accel/decel.

If I find out anything more useful I’ll be sure to post here my findings :)

Eventually I plan to report to Tesla but feel I need more info first.
Hi , Did you ever find a solution to the clicking? , I am having the same problem.

Is this the same sound? It gets louder about half way through the video, but you might have to turn the volume way up.

My passenger recorded that on the way to a nearby town; it started after some hard acceleration and was present for most of the journey. I did not happen at all on the return journey about an hour later.

The problem is I cannot reliably reproduce it. It's not always caused by hard aceleration. It's not related to the climate control (turning it off or on has no effect). Bumpy/uneven roads don't always cause it.

The Nottingham service centre investigated on 27th June and replaced the "front upper arms because of squeak from suspension" but that did not fix it.

Is this the same sound? It gets louder about half way through the video, but you might have to turn the volume way up.

My passenger recorded that on the way to a nearby town; it started after some hard acceleration and was present for most of the journey. I did not happen at all on the return journey about an hour later.

The problem is I cannot reliably reproduce it. It's not always caused by hard aceleration. It's not related to the climate control (turning it off or on has no effect). Bumpy/uneven roads don't always cause it.

The Nottingham service centre investigated on 27th June and replaced the "front upper arms because of squeak from suspension" but that did not fix it.
I couldn’t get it to play but I doubt it’s the same thing some of us are talking about. My noise is coming from my back left suspension and is easily reproducible. First push on the accelerator produces a clicking noise and the same thing happens when first letting off the accelerator when the regen kicks in. It’s like something is slightly loose and slips one way when accelerating then slips back when decelerating.

I couldn’t get it to play but I doubt it’s the same thing some of us are talking about. My noise is coming from my back left suspension and is easily reproducible. First push on the accelerator produces a clicking noise and the same thing happens when first letting off the accelerator when the regen kicks in. It’s like something is slightly loose and slips one way when accelerating then slips back when decelerating.
same issue, going back to SC in an hour to meet with another tech.

My M3P (2019) is currently in the SC for this and after two days they've been unable to diagnose it. I pointed them to the forum threads about axle nut tightening etc but no joy so far. It seems to be an issue that is starting to become more common so hoepfully they can find and sort it without too much grief. I have a loaner S for the duration of the checks which is very handy, however I'd like my own car back soon!

Anyone had this and managed to get a definite fix? Cheers.

As luck would have it - mine was in with the SC on Tuesday and they fixed this and the front suspension creaking like Clooney’s rusty old boat in a Perfect Storm. It had done it since pickup 2.5yrs ago, so now finally I know what a Tesla should sound like (or rather not sound like). Upper front control arms replacement for the front noise - even after they’d been sealed by a Ranger.

Rear clicking on acceleration/deceleration transition was solved by:

“Road tested heard noise suspect driveshaft noise requires lubricating at hub. Carried out procedure on all 4 hubs tested noise now all gone.
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive
Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - LH (Lubricate at Hub)
Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - RH (Lubricate at Hub)
Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - LH (Lubricate at Hub)
Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - RH (Lubricate at Hub)”

All it cost me was £67 for cabin filters/brake fluid check….result.

As luck would have it - mine was in with the SC on Tuesday and they fixed this and the front suspension creaking like Clooney’s rusty old boat in a Perfect Storm. It had done it since pickup 2.5yrs ago, so now finally I know what a Tesla should sound like (or rather not sound like). Upper front control arms replacement for the front noise - even after they’d been sealed by a Ranger.

Rear clicking on acceleration/deceleration transition was solved by:

“Road tested heard noise suspect driveshaft noise requires lubricating at hub. Carried out procedure on all 4 hubs tested noise now all gone.
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive
Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - LH (Lubricate at Hub)
Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - RH (Lubricate at Hub)
Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - LH (Lubricate at Hub)
Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - RH (Lubricate at Hub)”

All it cost me was £67 for cabin filters/brake fluid check….result.
Excellent thanks. I'll point them at this and see if they can resolve it. Cheers.

Sorry I totally forgot about the this thread.

Nottingham SC came out and took the dash apart, guy was great and showed me how simple it was to do as he said he wasn’t 100% sure what the problem was and if he had solved it, but he found a tiny bit of roam that shouldn’t have been there that comes with the new part for the dash, he took that out and the clicking sound went away. 🎉