Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh Deer!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a straight country road yesterday, going at about 50pmh, a large roe deer stag with antlers ran out of bushes on the left just as I passed. I am still not sure if the car’s swift jink to the left was by me or by the car, but it may have prevented a frontal impact. The deer’s off-side rear struck my off-side front, breaking the headlight with some panel damage and a small bend at the edge of the bonnet. The condenser fan beneath the panels will not stop running. It’s on a truck to a Tesla-approved body shop just now.

What’s people’s experience of the turnaround time for repairs like this? Any glitches to watch out for?

On a straight country road yesterday, going at about 50pmh, a large roe deer stag with antlers ran out of bushes on the left just as I passed. I am still not sure if the car’s swift jink to the left was by me or by the car, but it may have prevented a frontal impact. The deer’s off-side rear struck my off-side front, breaking the headlight with some panel damage and a small bend at the edge of the bonnet. The condenser fan beneath the panels will not stop running. It’s on a truck to a Tesla-approved body shop just now.

What’s people’s experience of the turnaround time for repairs like this? Any glitches to watch out for?

Wow.

I'm glad you are safe, and your car is getting repaired.

Could I ask if you had sentry/dashcam footage of the impact?

its all about the parts. If they are in stock in Europe it should not be too bad but if they have to come from the US on a boat.........

Wow.

I'm glad you are safe, and your car is getting repaired.

Could I ask if you had sentry/dashcam footage of the impact?
I did not think of looking. In S75D MCU1 AP2.0, not sure it would be available.

Insurers Direct Line have been first rate so far. They agreed my choice of Tesla-approved bodyshop although it was not on their list and the car was there within 24 hours of calling them. Under the policy, a deer collision does not affect my no-claim bonus.

• Disagree
Reactions: SteveBM3
I’m not sure incoming noise affects them that much, I hit one in a Passat Alltrack, turns out the head height of a female small-ish deer was identical to my headlight, which didn’t crack. The deer however with a broken neck, clearly killed instantly, went slewing off to the side and got hoovered up by the front radiator of a brand new Audi S3 that was hammering up the outside lane behind me. Completely ripping out the coolant system and dumping it all over the road. Oops.

The animals just freeze and don’t have the motor signals to avoid cars. It’s a nasty business.

Perhaps if you were driving at walking pace ... otherwise you can hear the tyre roar quarter of a mile away, much the same as any other car.

Very true. There's a lady in the village who is partially sighted, and uses a guide dog. I was chatting to her last year, around the time the compulsory noise maker thing was announced, and she said that my car (at that time an i3) didn't sound any different to any other car to her when driving past. She heard the tyre noise, or rather her dog did, and she wasn't convinced that adding noise makers to EVs would offer any benefit.