Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmmu Battery & 2020.28.6 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i've had this battery a few months now and even after the update last week I have not seen this error. worth a heads up to those who have this battery installed.

On August 1st we started seeing Tesla roll-out the latest software update to our vehicles, 2020.28.6, and in this update process it appears likely that you may receive an erroneous 12V battery alert on your Model 3 vehicle.

At this time we have only identified this issue in Model 3: none of our Model X, S or even Y clients have experienced it. If you have a Model 3 and just updated or are about to update your software to this new package, please be aware of the potential for this alert.

We have thoroughly examined 3 batteries so far which were pulled from Model 3 which received this notice and all were found to be in perfect/healthy condition.

If you get the alert, DON'T panic, at this time we have not identified any cause of serious concern, your battery isn't dead and your vehicle will still operate normally. DO contact us and we will walk you through a reset procedure or send someone to you to perform a reset.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Oh this is simply brilliant.

Recent discussion here: What's with the Ohmmu 12V battery?

In that thread, some people eventually questioned if the internal management of the Ohmmu might ever conflict with Tesla's expectations that the 12V is just a dumb 12V battery. It seems like that may have actually happened now?

yeah... installing an aftermarket battery with a TOTALLY different chemistry into a car where the system thinks it's an AGM battery... probably not so smart

We have that error and have had an Ohmmu battery for a few months now. It does appear to have coincided with a recent upgrade. I'll be doing the reset tonight to see if it clears. For the record my original battery from Tesla started going out only one year into ownership, and having lived in AZ and had batteries go bad regularly in the heat, I wanted to switch to something that would last longer. I'm curious as to what algorithm changed, I guess we'll find out.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I just spoke with the vendor and they stated if you have not seen the error within 48 hours you most likely will not see it.

@oldpueblo , how long after the update did you see the error?

here's the procedure in case anyone needs it - again i didn't see this error.

Procedure:
1. Open rear passenger door, drivers door, roll down drivers window and open frunk
2. “Power off” vehicle via MCU Safety&Security screen
3. Disconnect HV service plug
3-a. Under rear passenger side seat, push small black lever away from you to unlock seat then lift up seat cushion.
3-b. Remove foam block
3-c. Unlock and disconnect Grey/black header by pinching top and rotating locking arm downwards.
4. Disconnect 12V battery (leave installed just disconnect one terminal or the other), need 10mm wrench for this.
5. WAIT 10 full minutes
6. Reconnect HV plug (and put foam block back in place and lock seat in place by pressing down)
7. Reconnect 12V battery
8. Step on brake pedal and wait for vehicle to reboot

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
So... it came back this morning. I'm just going to leave it for now since I know the battery is fine. I might mention it to Tesla at a service appointment I have in a week (different car).

What would you be mentioning to tesla? That you installed an aftermarket battery that is now throwing an error? What response from them would you be expecting, other than "we would be happy to sell you an OEM battery to replace that one for XXX?

Reactions: Phlier and Gasaraki
What would you be mentioning to tesla? That you installed an aftermarket battery that is now throwing an error? What response from them would you be expecting, other than "we would be happy to sell you an OEM battery to replace that one for XXX?

It seems unreasonable to me that Tesla would require "Tesla-only" 12v batteries in perpetuity. It ran fine for months until an update, and even longer than that in other cars.

I'm sure that, had you replaced the battery with one with the same chemistry, it would work just fine and Tesla would support it if it were the car causing issues. However, expecting Tesla to support a battery that uses a different chemistry and methodology than the one that came with the car is simply foolhardy. No manufacturer is going to do that nor should they.

It seems unreasonable to me that Tesla would require "Tesla-only" 12v batteries in perpetuity. It ran fine for months until an update, and even longer than that in other cars.

Yeah, but it's unlikely they're going to lift a finger in this case. I agree with your sentiment regarding 'Tesla-only' parts, but this situation is different as the battery is a different chemical make-up than the OEM which gives them the upper hand.

The best you can hope for is for Ohmmu to figure out the issue, or that a next update might solve it (unlikely but you never know).

Last edited:

Tesla can't "require" you buy a battery from them.

But they can refuse to support an entirely different type of battery that is causing the problem you want them to fix

As others said, its not "tesla only" batteries, it would be "batteries that meet the specific specifications required for tesla vehicle X" (which likely contain the same chemistry and statistics as the OEM battery). Thats like substituting a non AGM battery for the factory AGM one in a BMW, then complaining to a BMW dealer that "you are having a bunch of electrical gremlins".

Save your breath and dont mention anything to tesla. It could actually be detrimental for you to do so, if they "note your account that customer states they put in aftermarket battery X and symptom Y started". You DONT want that "on your file". If you want to keep this aftermarket battery, your best bet would be to talk to the company you bought it from (in this case Ohmu) and see if they have a solution for you.

If you "mention this to tesla at your next service visit" at worst they will look at you funny when you say you put in "another battery" if you actually explain that its a battery that is lithium instead of the stock battery chemistry. If you conveniently "leave that out" like most people would, tesla will say "what battery is this, its not on our list of approved parts, we would be happy to charge you a diagnostic charge to troubleshoot your issue. Our labor rate is........". Thats all just my opinion, but is absolutely the most likely thing to happen.

If you want to talk to tesla about it, you need to swap back to the OEM battery first and see if the problem goes away, and never mention the aftermarket battery to tesla. You are better off talking to Ohmu though, because as I said, the last thing you want in your automotive "file" is a note from some tesla technician that you swapped to some unapproved battery, and then started having electrical problems. If the problems dont go away, tesla would fully blame it on the battery, and you would have a hell of a fight on your hands even though whatever was going on might not even be related.

I realise a lot of you bought the Ohmmu to avoid headaches with the lead acid battery, and are/would be upset by thus problem.

This battery has completely different characteristics compared to a standard lead acid. It can, and does, even fully disconnect itself internally and can read 0.0V on the terminals at times. Clearly not behaviour Tesla is expecting from a standard battery. I'm not saying this is what's happening, but it's one of many possibilities.

Tesla will want nothing to do with this battery. It was your choice to spend the money for something marketed as "compatible" that is very, very different. I would not bring this up to Tesla at all because you've replaced a critical component with a misbehaving non-standard one. It would be a stretch, but that becomes a justifiable point for denying warranty (the 12V system is actually quite critical).

If you don't want this to happen in the future, get a normal lead acid battery with a decent warranty. Almost every one has a full replacement within 2 years for those of you that go through them so quickly.