Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmmu Battery & 2020.28.6 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ModelS, at least the early ones, superimposed a higher voltage pulsing spike modulation onto the 12v lead acid battery. Someone published this complete with scope traces but I've managed to misplace the file. With any Lithium chemistry battery you do not want spikes like these to exceed the maximum charging voltage which is usually 15.0v absolute. I recall the spikes in the MS went up to ~30v peaks periodically which, if true, would fry any Li-Ion battery designed for 15v max. I will get my 'scope to my MS (finally) in a week or so to check it out.

Model3 hopefully is different, limiting charging to 15vdc max but until we can verify this, beware! :eek:
--

• Informative
Reactions: FalconFour
I had this error after the recent update. Model 3 is seven months old, Ohmmu bat is three months old.
I did the hard reset as recommended by Ohmmu today. So far, error no message...

Unfortunately, I got the error again two days later. I contacted Ohmmu before and after the error returned and here are their two replies-

Aug 6:
On August 1st we started seeing Tesla roll-out the latest software update to our vehicles, 2020.28.6, and in this update process it appears likely that you may receive an erroneous 12V battery alert on your Model 3 vehicle.
At this time we have only identified this issue in Model 3: none of our Model X, S or even Y clients have experienced it. If you have a Model 3 and just updated or are about to update your software to this new package, please be aware of the potential for this alert.
We have thoroughly examined 3 batteries so far which were pulled from Model 3 which received this notice and all were found to be in perfect/healthy condition.
If you get the alert, DON'T panic, at this time we have not identified any cause of serious concern, your battery isn't dead and your vehicle will still operate normally. DO contact us and we will walk you through a reset procedure or send someone to you to perform a reset.

Last Tuesday:
We are working towards a better resolution, doing a lot of testing now. We will be sending out an email today to all soon! In the meantime your car will function fine except the annoyance of the alert itself

But I haven’t gotten any emails from them since last Saturday...

Unfortunately, I got the error again two days later. I contacted Ohmmu before and after the error returned and here are their two replies-

Aug 6:
On August 1st we started seeing Tesla roll-out the latest software update to our vehicles, 2020.28.6, and in this update process it appears likely that you may receive an erroneous 12V battery alert on your Model 3 vehicle.
At this time we have only identified this issue in Model 3: none of our Model X, S or even Y clients have experienced it. If you have a Model 3 and just updated or are about to update your software to this new package, please be aware of the potential for this alert.
We have thoroughly examined 3 batteries so far which were pulled from Model 3 which received this notice and all were found to be in perfect/healthy condition.
If you get the alert, DON'T panic, at this time we have not identified any cause of serious concern, your battery isn't dead and your vehicle will still operate normally. DO contact us and we will walk you through a reset procedure or send someone to you to perform a reset.

Last Tuesday:
We are working towards a better resolution, doing a lot of testing now. We will be sending out an email today to all soon! In the meantime your car will function fine except the annoyance of the alert itself

But I haven’t gotten any emails from them since last Saturday...
Thanks for updates, I have given it 2 reset attempts with the same results. Lasts about 24 hours and warning comes back. No email from ohmuu, probably just going to wait it out and not try to contact them for a third time.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I realize this is conjecture but what do you think is throwing the error codes after 28.6? Do you think Tesla purposely “wrote-in” Code to ‘detect’ a foreign battery and thus trip the fault warning? All in an attempt to detract from users buying competitor after market batteries and thus ‘cutting in‘ on Tesla’s profit margin by not being able to sell you another one of their own? I know it’s a stretch but my mind just started rolling on this. After all guys have been running these Ohmmus for a couple years with no issues....and all of a sudden.....Issues. Just trying to figure out ‘why now’?

Ski

Elon said Tesla doesnt do for profit servicing. Even if you don't believe him, so far third party repairs to Teslas (common outside of the USA where the nearest service centre might be 1000-4000km away) confirm this with repair costs i.e. glass replacements being cheaper than for japanese cars.

Heh, sorry :)

To be fair 60 out of... how many forum members, let alone Model 3s? For a probably-minority issue? Unlikely you'd hear about it even if there was an issue.

Trust me, if there is an issue our customers will tell us right away, usually on a weekend! Regardless, if you did a study with 60 subjects I wouldn't consider the results to be very scientific. I was just trying to be helpful if at all.

I got the error 4 times total when I had 2020.28.6 on my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD with Ohmmu battery. I had that firmware for a good 2 weeks before the first time the error came up. Then over the course of 10 days, the error came up 3 more times. Each time I did the reset method right away by disconnecting the HV battery connector under the passenger rear seat and the error would go away.

Today I just updated to firmware 2020.32.2 with no issues. Hopefully it's the end of this particular 12V message. If the error comes back, I'll post again.

I got the error 4 times total when I had 2020.28.6 on my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD with Ohmmu battery. I had that firmware for a good 2 weeks before the first time the error came up. Then over the course of 10 days, the error came up 3 more times. Each time I did the reset method right away by disconnecting the HV battery connector under the passenger rear seat and the error would go away.

Today I just updated to firmware 2020.32.2 with no issues. Hopefully it's the end of this particular 12V message. If the error comes back, I'll post again.

It let you update? My 12V error message says “updates will not complete until vehicle is serviced” or something like that.

Reactions: lUtriaNt