Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old farts reminiscing about computers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And some of us knew it as Bosconian in the arcades...

Yes, thats why I had "Under development I have Draconian (Bosconian)" in my original post.

I learned about that after we'd decided on the name(see AtariLeaf's comment in my blog). I was originally planning to buy a CoCo as my first computer, but as I mentioned in that post:
Following summer I was working at my grandparents' place in Wisconsin to save up money for a TRS-80 CoCo. We went into town and grandma wanted to see this new-fangled thing I was saving up for, so we stopped in at a Radio Shack. Display model had no power, so I asked the guy if he'd power it up. He flat out lied to me - "there's a password that I don't know, and if I type it wrong it will destroy the computer". Soured me on my plans for the CoCo

Last edited:
I was getting my Computer Science degree at the University of Missouri in the 90's, and before I graduated, you couldn't even take an assembly language course because they didn't offer it (word at the time was they didn't have anyone that could teach it). I was going to take an assembly course but couldn't because of that. However, I did have a class in my 2nd year I think it was that did machine language on a simulated microprocessor, which was very similar.

I highly doubt you'll find anyone young doing assembly, unless they are just a massive microprocessor nerd, or in a very obscure line of work that still uses assembly for some embedded systems.

My first PC experience was when my mom brought home an IBM PC that ran at 4.077 MHz I think it was, but it also had a Turbo button that would make it run at 10 MHz. Did my first programming in BASIC on that machine. Then I got into Turbo Pascal. In college it was mostly C and C++. And professionally, I've done a little COBOL, C#, and a boat load of Java. I've been on a Java web development track for close to 20 years now.

I still keep a few interesting trinkets I collected during the evolution of PCs. I still have a Kenwood TrueX CD-ROM drive that could quietly read at 72X by using 7 laser beams with a slower spin speed. And I still have a couple of SuperDisk drives (and some disks too), that were backwards compatible with 1.44MB floppy disks; one nice thing about those you might not be aware of is they could ready 1.44MB floppies faster than regular floppy disk drives.

Probably one of the most exciting PC advancements in the retail space for me as a kid was the introduction of the Sound Blaster. Moving from PC speaker to Sound Blaster was revolutionary to me.

I started my career writing Z-80 assembly on an embedded system. I later wrote some other assembly, but I haven't written any in over 25 years. C and C++ are efficient enough they are better options for writing embedded code these days. It's a lot easier to maintain the code down the line.

SoundBlaster... Bringing back memories now! I still remember going to Soft Warehouse (before they became CompUSA) to pick mine up.

To bring this back to Tesla, I did haul an entire car load of old computers and parts to Free Geek a few weeks ago. I think all my old Sound Blasters were in there. I think there were a few ISA Sound Blasters in there.

To bring this back to Tesla, I did haul an entire car load of old computers and parts to Free Geek a few weeks ago. I think all my old Sound Blasters were in there. I think there were a few ISA Sound Blasters in there.

I did some assembly in a "computer languages" class, as well as in a computer engineering class where we literally were writing assembly for one of those logic boards that you'd carry around, while I was in college at VA Tech (go hokies!).

I haven't used anything that basic since entering the "real world" in 2006.

Wow that was a difficult piece of hardware to configure. IO ports, IRQs, DMA ranges, and if anything conflicted, nothing worked. Pull everything out, check all the jumpers, and try again.

To be honest, the machines of those days were more robust since they were hard configured. Jumpers required patience, but they don't ever screw up. Once you set them, you are good for life. I know since I just swapped out a jumper-era computer for a DOS specific CMM last week.

The ISA machine had an unknown failure. You could not even get BIOS screen. Took the HDD (IDE) out and the 2 controller cards, then stuffed them into another ~20-25 year old machine that would boot successfully.

BINGO! No other changes, the computer booted, and I got the automated machine back in operation generating >$100/hr in 30 minutes. So I lost 30 minutes of my time, and $50. You can't do that with Windows if the hardware is even a little different.

However...

Last year or so, a Win8.1-64Pro? computer running another CMM failed to fully boot after an update. Windows was reporting it as hardware. I ended up swapping out everything, from the SSD, to RAM, to CPU, to PSU (even though it tested OK), finally to motherboard. Nope.

Not hardware. Everything was now brand new and matched P/N's. Had to burn it to the ground. Reformat, reinstall Windows, reinstall CMM Manager software, printer drivers, card drivers, motherboard drivers, Office, Adobe, CAD, etc, etc, etc. The whole process had the machine down 3 days by shipping everything needed Overnight. Parts cost was about $1500, another Win seat was another $150. But the big loss was losing $2400 of gross profit, and about 8 hrs of my labor I could have used elsewhere.

What was really wrong? I'll never be 100% sure, but it appeared that Windows corrupted it's loader but could not see anything wrong so it reported it was a hardware problem without actually having any evidence of it. If it doesn't wake up in Safe Mode, with 100% new hardware, but would boot and run from a DVD or USB stick but won't recover from backup or repair, you are sort of screwed.

After that, I mirrored every CMM computer drive in the building and stored them on a shelf.

This is now finished, even managed to get the Atari 2600 to play back the arcade speech samples!

The ROM is available here(link at the top of the post takes you to the current build). Can be played on real hardware via the Harmony Cart or on your computer via the current version of Stella. If you use Stella be sure to follow these instructions to reduce flicker (as computer monitors exaggerate it). You only need to do this the first time you load a new ROM.
  • open Draconian in Stella
  • press TAB on your keyboard for the in-game-menu
  • select Game Properties
  • Select the Display tab
  • change Use Phosphor to Yes
  • click OK
  • select Exit Menu
  • press Control-R on your keyboard to Reload the ROM
Having read "Racing the Beam", and watched a couple of documentaries about the Nolan and the Atari boys during Stella/The 2600 lifetime, as well as the guys who peeled off to do Activision, I have to say that's an amazing piece of work...

Bravo sir.

Reactions: SpiceWare
Ahh assembly language.

Cut my teeth on that a bit when I was introduced to the 6502 with my first computer, an Apple ][+ in 4th grade. Shape tables FTW!

Hacked around some more on my C64, and got a chance to play with my first "development environment" with GeoProgrammer under GEOS.

Took a digital architecture class in college... this was late 80's... I indeed suspect it's a dying art.

Cut my teeth on that a bit when I was introduced to the 6502 with my first computer, an Apple ][+ in 4th grade. Shape tables FTW!

Same here. Spent sophomore and junior year in HS doing Applesoft Basic. By senior year ('82) got bored, and taught myself some basic 6502 assembler. I think I was doing low level disk drive IO for fun. Things were so simple back then.

Reactions: bmah and scaesare
Back in the day, I wrote a whole bunch of games in 6502 / 6510 (VIC-20) machine code. Also, for C-64, Atari 520-ST, etc.
It really was machine code. I remembered hex opcodes, not the assembly mnemonics.
Just poke a bunch of values into memory and jump to it.
Most were destined for ROM cartridges with something like 5K memory, so it had to be "tight code" to get decent game play with limited resources.

Same here. Spent sophomore and junior year in HS doing Applesoft Basic. By senior year ('82) got bored, and taught myself some basic 6502 assembler. I think I was doing low level disk drive IO for fun. Things were so simple back then.
While you were doing low level I/O programming, I was doing low level arson. I literally smoked one of our school floppy drives by moving it to another computer to copy ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ educational programs but failed to align the pins correctly to the header. The billow of smoke left behind was mesmerizing. Good times.

Reactions: scaesare
Free time, no money, and a clear need to defeat those annoying bad-sector CP schemes? What better motivator for learning! ;)