Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree with the sentiment that a lack of a qualifying statement from tesla that certain cars won't be able to do 120 means that they implied all cars will be able to support it.

They did state that all cars would support it regardless of hardware and would only require a firmware update. This is pretty irrefutable, IMHO:

Tesla said:
1) Currently our Super Chargers have an output lower than its full potential. When our Engineering team in charge of Super Chargers are ready to increase the output it should increase power output to an ideal potential of additional 30% (speculation and not fact at this time). This upgrade will likely come inform of firmware and hardware (not on the Model S but on the Super Charger units) but details will likely not become public, but if it does it will be available on our web site or made public by Elon Musk.

Interestingly Tesla made the above statement to TMCer napabill in an email regarding 120 kw support for his car (currently napabill is 90 limited).

I don't buy this argument and actually think it is strained like many of the other arguments for why Tesla should fix the early owners (I am one of them).

Sorry, I disagree. It's not a strain to say that two owners who pay the same for a 2012 model year car should have received the same functionality especially when they both were sold a car that included 'Supercharging.' This is like contract interpretation. Ambiguity shall be resolved as against the party drafting the contract. Tesla sold people cars that included 'Supercharging' and we have since learned that is an ambiguous term. Tesla claims to have included Supercharging with the early cars but it's a lesser version of Supercharging. Also, let's not pretend it's something Tesla included as a gift for free; it's listed as a feature on my window sticker.

Anywho, I hope they fully enable Supercharging on your (and everyone else who didn't get it) car.

Sorry, I disagree. It's not a strain to say that two owners who pay the same for a 2012 model year car should have received the same functionality especially when they both were sold a car that included 'Supercharging.' This is like contract interpretation. Ambiguity shall be resolved as against the party drafting the contract. Tesla sold people cars that included 'Supercharging' and we have since learned that is an ambiguous term. Tesla claims to have included Supercharging with the early cars but it's a lesser version of Supercharging. Also, let's not pretend it's something Tesla included as a gift for free; it's listed as a feature on my window sticker.

Anywho, I hope they fully enable Supercharging on your (and everyone else who didn't get it) car.
I'm definitely not trying to be disagreeable here. Things don't always come out the same in an email or forum thread as they do in a conversation so please don't take offense but I don't think Supercharging is ambiguous. It is not binary and never was. It was always variable. And expanding the range for newer cars does not violate the definition.

They didn't mention that our early cars would not support the new 120kW range but I don't see how a reasonable person would then conclude that that no longer fits the definition of supercharging. Especially since the highest rate originally mentioned was 90kW. The very fact that it changed implies that SC is not about one certain number or range of numbers.

Just my two cents. I'm still looking forward to hearing their story about this whole situation and why they didn't think they should tell us.

Does Elon's S charge at 90kW? or more...
It wouldn't surprise me if he was already testing a 100+ kWh battery in his car. His car isn't expected to be a gauge for customer cars in the present -- at any point of 'present'.

- - - Updated - - -

If I were to visit a battery exchange station instead of a supercharger, would there be a possibility that my new battery pack would be an older 90kWh limited pack?

That would pretty much torpedo my interest in ever using the battery pack swap service to refuel the car.
Good point.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm serious, tone it down. Saying things like 'any intelligent person knows' will get your entire post a ride to snippiness. All of you. No more word games. Keep it respectful or I'm going to do some major housecleaning. And I'd really rather enjoy the day.
Any intelligent person knows to not mess with bonnie.

- - - Updated - - -

If Elon announces next week that the superchargers are going to 150 kW, then what... are we all going to expect a free upgrade?
Let's talk about trust for a moment. If this happened, I'm currently tempted to immediately ask formal questions directly of Jerome and request a formal response on behalf of Tesla. If the response doesn't sound legally binding, I'd probably press on until it does. This erosion of trust is a huge problem that continues to get worse.

> To answer the question: Will a recently manufactured replacement battery pack enable 120kw charging in a 2012 MS 85??

Older Tesla's limited to 90kW super charging - Page 30

The answer was 'NO' using 4.5 firmware as expected. Yesterday I upgraded to 5.8.4 and then immediately did a similar charging session at the same SC (Silverthorne CO) this time beginning at 6 miles instead of 15. No other cars were there.

This session begins @346 amps instead of 250 amps - Bingo!! After 2 min it dips to 293 but by 4 min it is up to 304, @7 min up to 320, from then on it is the expected slow descent to 250 @17 min (the max using 4.5), then on down to 104 amps @49 min.

I neglected to record voltage until 25 min: 380v 192a 73 kw. Next time I will bring a properly configured data sheet!

Bottom Line: After 40 min charging we went from 6 miles SOC to 200 miles so "194 miles after 40 minutes". Ended the session at 50 min = 222 miles at which point the taper was becoming really tedious for anyone other than a hyper-miler. More than enough to return home; somehow managed to keep up with a pack of skiers headed for Steamboat who showed no fear under the mixed conditions. Never went into LOW riding height and one can actually sense the difference.
--

Last edited:
Define "earliest" I guess. The first official SuperCharging unveiling/announcement on Sept 24th, 2012 said this:

The first talk about power was at an owner event that mentioned 90kW. Before then the only promise was 45 minutes fast charge.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6860-45-Minute-QuickCharge
As late as 3/6/2012 "45 minutes" was still the standard line in press releases (other ones seem to not mention fast charging at all):
http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pr...-lease-announce-first-model-s-leasing-program

Here's how the supercharger page looked immediately after the 9/23/2012 unveiling (no mention of 120kW):
At 90 kW, a Tesla Supercharger delivers 4.5x more electricity to your battery than Twin Chargers.
https://web.archive.org/web/20120925135117/http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

It still said the same on 4/25/2013:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130425080028/http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

It was changed to mention 120kW around the time of the supercharger expansion press release on 5/30/2013 (first mention of 120kW that had a promised release):
We will soon roll out 120 kW Superchargers, which are 33% faster than our current version and can replenish half a charge in just 20 minutes, for free.
http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pr...arger-network-delivering-convenient-free-long
https://web.archive.org/web/20130728102732/http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Last edited:
Good research. The messaging, to me, has been all over the board, inconsistent and/or vague. The Sept 24th press release never even says 90kw, only numbers higher than that.

For my particular situation, I still have a problem older VINs than mine having 120kw capability. One can argue that out of sequencing happens, but how far out of sequence is getting old hardware still acceptable? 1? 10? 100? 1000? 10000? That seems like a subjective line and, for me, Tesla crossed it.

Bottom Line: After 40 min charging we went from 6 miles SOC to 200 miles so "194 miles after 40 minutes". Ended the session at 50 min = 222 miles at which point the taper was becoming really tedious for anyone other than a hyper-miler.
--

Thanks for doing the side-by-side comparison. Extrapolating to zero, it would have taken at most 1 minute to add 6 miles at that charge rate so we'll tack that on to your 40 minutes.

Bottom Line:
41 minutes to 80% SOC (200 rated miles) at 120
55-58 minutes to 80% SOC (200 rated miles) at 90

That's a huge difference!

For my particular situation, I still have a problem older VINs than mine having 120kw capability. One can argue that out of sequencing happens, but how far out of sequence is getting old hardware still acceptable? 1? 10? 100? 1000? 10000? That seems like a subjective line and, for me, Tesla crossed it.
Yes, you have a special situation (that I don't believe anyone else here shares) in that you have people with 120kW both in front and behind your VIN number. I suspect that your car was made right at the cutoff point (same batch) and the details of VIN/component sourcing/production date etc. made it so you got the limited battery.

As for the main points, I do agree with others that it's definitely okay to ask Tesla to do something about it (you get nothing if you don't ask; there's still a chance if you do), but I think a lawsuit as some has suggested is a bit overboard and that there shouldn't be an expectation that Tesla will definitely do something (esp. something like completely free battery swaps for everyone affected).

Thanks for doing the side-by-side comparison. Extrapolating to zero, it would have taken at most 1 minute to add 6 miles at that charge rate so we'll tack that on to your 40 minutes.

Bottom Line:
41 minutes to 80% SOC (200 rated miles) at 120
55-58 minutes to 80% SOC (200 rated miles) at 90

That's a huge difference!

"Huge"? I'll go with "measurable", maybe even "significant", "noticeable" is appropriate, but "huge" for 14 minute? That's a half-cup of coffee or a few more pages in a novel. Let's keep it all in some perspective.

"Huge"? I'll go with "measurable", maybe even "significant", "noticeable" is appropriate, but "huge" for 14 minute? That's a half-cup of coffee or a few more pages in a novel. Let's keep it all in some perspective.

well, 14 minutes is almost 3 times what the naysayers have been saying. suffice it to say, it's significant enough that it matters to quite a few and I don't see any reason to down play it.

> Extrapolating to zero, it would have taken at most 1 minute to add 6 miles at that charge rate so we'll tack that on to your 40 minutes. [apacheguy]

Hmm, no I didn't hit ~206 mile SOC until into the 43rd minute (43rd minute began at 205). And I did begin at 00 min. So properly: "43 min to add 200 miles".

Using 55-58 minutes (your estimate is as good as mine here) for my '90 enabled' test leaves a 12 to 16 minutes improvement. Which is essentially what you were originally saying.

I hope this is proceedurally correct. A running vidcam & running timer would be nice when I plug in the charge cord next time. Don't want to jump the gun or shillyshally.
--

Someone (or multiple someones) mentioned battery swaps a while back. As an example of some things Tesla could do for 90kw vehicles when battery swap stations exist:

1) Replace the battery and use it for a battery swap battery. The owner would pay the degradation difference in cost at Tesla's wholesale price per battery pack. I.e. not the marked up price or service/installation fees.
2) Or perhaps free battery swaps for as long as you own the car once battery swapping is introduced. Or X free swaps.

Of course, this requires battery swapping actually gets rolled out...