Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG! Can’t belive what just happened

How many Tesla owners use auto park function when charging at supercharging stations

• Yes auto park

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • No auto park

Votes: 66 97.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m waiting in line behind a S for supercharging at a 80% empty station.
The S basically backed up on the curb by a light post and scratched up his car along with a bad dent
I honked my horn when he hit the curb but I just couldn’t believe it when he literally keep going and messed up his car.
How can this possibly happen when you have a iPad size monitor with great camera plus parking guide?
It hurts me to watch him but made me think could he possibly be using auto park?
So just a random question, how many Tesla owners use auto park when trying to charge at supercharging stations?

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
That’s not auto park ...lol that sounds like bad driving ...I did use auto park once at supercharger but more as a novelty ...it’s takes too long and I wouldn’t want to hold anyone up :eek:

I have another question if you don’t mind entertaining me, all the time when I’m waiting at a light and I see the P icon. Is the car trying to tell me that it can park between cars in lane next to me?
I wouldn’t want to try it but most of the time the space is too small to fit my X

• Funny
Reactions: inconel
I have another question if you don’t mind entertaining me, all the time when I’m waiting at a light and I see the P icon. Is the car trying to tell me that it can park between cars in lane next to me?
I wouldn’t want to try it but most of the time the space is too small to fit my X

Yes that P icon when it shows up and u put in reverse ...the center screen will have a button to start auto park ..it’s just the sensors thinking it can park ...I never tried myself in traffic though :oops:....auto park does come in handy in parallel parking I have used more in that scenario over backing straight in

Probably distracted by a phone call. Just like my MIL who backed out our other car into our mailbox with my kids inside. There’s no way she could’ve done that under normal circumstances because the parking sensor would be beeping like crazy. When I asked my kid she said grandma was answering her phone.

• Funny
Reactions: KyleDay and P85_DA

Yes, it *thinks* it can park. Either a parallel spot or a perpendicular spot. You can put it in reverse and get an idea what it is trying to do.

The reason it does this is the ultrasonic sensors get confused with the cars moving next to it. For example, if you have a car immediately next to you and one 6 ft behind it. All of you are traveling at the same speed. The sensors are simply going to see a gap next to you all the time... so it will think there is nothing next to you.

Reactions: Ali’sMax

That's funny because I can hardly get Auto Park to work when I need it in a busy lot. But driving home or to work it seem to pop up at most stop lights o_O

• Funny
Reactions: spectrum and P85_DA
Not me. I never ever use autopark in any of my cars, Telsa or not. I am so old that they spend days in driver ed teaching use to parallel park with a foot on each of the car. I actually learned enjoy the challenge and remember getting complements on it during my driver's licence test.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Probably the most surprising thing of my entire Tesla ownership is how bad Tesla drivers are at parking.

Now admittedly at first I struggled a bit, and I was a little embarrassed by it. I mean come on it has a backup camera, and even lowers the rear view mirrors so how hard could it be? But, it was funny how many times I wasn't where I thought I'd be.

Eventually I got used to it. It's like driving a flat pancake.

The only thing that annoys me now is how much beeping is going on when I'm trying to park in a tight space. Where I'm like "I know, I know, I know..."

One of these days I'll probably hit something because I'll be ignoring the beeps.

Probably the most surprising thing of my entire Tesla ownership is how bad Tesla drivers are at parking.

Now admittedly at first I struggled a bit, and I was a little embarrassed by it. I mean come on it has a backup camera, and even lowers the rear view mirrors so how hard could it be? But, it was funny how many times I wasn't where I thought I'd be.

Eventually I got used to it. It's like driving a flat pancake.

The only thing that annoys me now is how much beeping is going on when I'm trying to park in a tight space. Where I'm like "I know, I know, I know..."

One of these days I'll probably hit something because I'll be ignoring the beeps.
I don't think so, we who know our cars and equipment are kings of parking.

• Funny
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Re auto park: I use it at superchargers and regular parking lots. It’s been good when I use it. I read through the forums before using it the first time to get an understanding of what not to do. For example, a few people wrote here that it failed when the empty space has a column on one side instead of another car. It’s great for me at the SCs, like the OP, I often see people not using it and getting cozy with the adjacent Tesla.

The only times I’ve taken over are when another car can’t wait and drives past me while auto park is working (90° backed in). I probably don’t need to, but I’m worried that since that other car wasn’t there a moment ago, maybe my car would move forward and impact it.

On occasion it’s very slow, creeping its way centimeter by centimeter. That could be a takeover too, if another car is waiting. Sometimes just “one more sec, please” out the window is enough for the other car to wave back while the auto park finishes.

I like the auto park feature a lot. :)