Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG: digitaltim’s delivery story…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Digitaltim, the car looks great! Can't wait to get mine. Judging from your window tint picture, you have standard 8' wide single car garage doors...is this where you park your S? I'm wondering how the clearance is on the sides when pulling in and out. I have a similar setup with two 8' wide doors and I know it will fit, but am wondering how close it is in a "practical" sense of pulling in and out everyday. Thanks!

It is a tight fit - probably 1-1.5" clearance on each side. I do not have any issue navigating it...just take it real slow to ensure the mirrors are clear.

I measured it at one point, but do not recall the exact number.

Regarding the window tinting:
Did the tint shop run into anything weird?
Any special issues with the Model S door panels?
Aren't you supposed to avoid rolling down the windows for about a week?
Doesn't the Model S roll down the window about an inch each time you open the door?
Don't have my S yet but my Corvette did the same thing w/ the windows - dropping them slightly each time the door is opened. I did avoid rolling them all they way down but the small movement to get in and out didn't cause a problem.

Since a few people PM'd me asking, here is an untouched photo after tinting with 3M Crystalline - 40 on the sides and rear, 60 in the front - not the best staging or light.

WOW .. that looks awesome. Thanks for those pics! When you say "60 in the front" do you mean the front windshield or the driver and passenger side windows?

I am looking to do 3M Crystalline - 30 all around (except the front windshield). I'm sure the cops will love this....I used to get stopped ALL the time in my camaro - though I never actually got a ticket. I had 5% on the rear and 15% on the drive and passenger sides. I always told them it was because of the sound system - I didn't want anyone seeing what I had and breaking in. I had three 12" JL's and a 1500watt chrome rockford fosgate amp and a 400 watt amp for the other speakers and 3 1 farad caps...so I think they understood and so never gave me a ticket, always just a verbal warning. This happened DOZENS of times. Oh and this was in South Jersey. I've gotten stopped for speeding in PA, DE, MD, and VA but they never cared about the tint and never mentioned it. Only NJ cops would give me a little bit of a hard time. So right now I am in South Jersey but come spring I am going to move to North Jersey closer to NYC - are the NJ cops up there also anal about the driver and passenger tint?

Has anyone else posted pics of their Model S with tinting?

Here is another angle of the car after tinting - shot the same day as the one above. I had to crop it down to be able to post it.

Photo12.jpg

I wasn't planning on getting tinting, but that looks so good, I may have to. You'll have to let us know how the window movement with the door shutting affects the top of the tint (if at all) once the summer comes. I had the Lexus dealer tint my last vehicle, and while it has held up well for 10 years, the one place I had an issue is rolling down the windows when the car is very hot. Two small pieces of tint nicked off in that condition.

A couple of questions for you after noting that your tint job looks fantastic and your car overall looks great:

How has the 40 on the back hatch affected your night visibility with the rear view mirror?

I have never tinted a front windshield before but I am wondering if you noticed significant changes in your visibility and if so what changes?

Did you tint the panoramic roof glass at all? If not, is that because it came dark enough already? If so, why?

Thanks for any responses.

I live in CA so to stay legal you have to have 70 on the front side glass so I was considering using the same product as you and doing 70 on the front sides and 40 for the rear sides and back hatch glass. I have never considered doing the windshield and don;t know if it is legal in CA or not but am interested in your experience with it both in the day and at night.

Cheers.

1st real snow experience tonight w/ 1-2 inches in northern MD.

The car handled well - was very nervous after seeing two other cars spun out in a very hilly section of the county but the Model S took the hill without hesitation.

New option/feature request: an exterior heating option to enable just before pulling into the garage - the amount of snow that accumulates on the exterior and does not melt due to the lack of an ICE is going to be problematic for the garage floor. Oh well, at least we don't get that much snow in MD.