Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG TSLA @ $202 :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those are good points. Playing devils advocate here, he is a billionaire and we aren't. At least I'm not, you might be :)
I’m a few billion short of being a billionaire :)

After listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with Elon Musk and Elon describing himself as constantly coming up with new ideas, I started to think maybe it would be best for him to step down as the CEO. Not as a dig at him but to give him freedom to do what he does best, innovate.

But of course I say this knowing very little about him, who knows maybe he is a good business man who just happens to have too much on his plate.

Actually I think a self driving truck has a better chance of being real than robo-taxis, and the market is crying for it. Long distance haulage has taken a pounding from regulations restricting how long drivers can go for, plus (and I didn't know this until recently) there's a shortage of drivers in this business, and they're an aging population as young-un's don't want to get into the business.

I agree they spread themselves too thinly and need more focus, but trucking might be a winner.
I’m in the trucking business and can tell you first hand there’s no driver shortage.
There’s a “good driver” shortage but that’s more to do with the salary. If companies paid better wages they’d have better drivers

Self driving trucks might be a reality but that’s not something tesla AT THE MOMENT can afford to take on.
I’ve said this in the semi forum, Tesla should have waited to get into that segment for many reasons, reasons such as not having enough battery production capacity, not having the proper cash flow.
They should have waited until the car business was running smoothly and cash was flowing in.

I’m in the trucking business and can tell you first hand there’s no driver shortage.
There’s a “good driver” shortage but that’s more to do with the salary. If companies paid better wages they’d have better drivers

Interesting distinction. I don't know anything about the business, so am not going to argue with you, but this is the story I saw with that information:

Self-driving trucks begin mail delivery test for U.S. Postal Service - Reuters

The goal is to eliminate the need for a driver, freeing shippers and freight-haulers from the constraints of a worsening driver shortage. The American Trucking Associations estimates a shortage of as many as 174,500 drivers by 2024, due to an aging workforce and the difficulty of attracting younger drivers.

Reactions: AMPd
Musk is the single biggest obstacle to Tesla's success. He is delusional and cannot execute his way out of a paper bag. Instead of focusing on manufacturing profitable cars and hitting goals, he makes video games. Apple offered to buy Tesla in 2013 for $240/share. Tesla turned it down because Apple wanted Musk to step down as part of the acquisition. That would have been the single best thing to happen to Tesla.

There are too many yes-men at Tesla, too many around Musk who are not willing to stand up to him and tell him he doesn't have the company's and employees' best interests at heart. He is the science fiction CEO, not a real CEO trying to turn his fledgling car maker into a real company. He's still building cars in a tent, for gods sake, after wasting over $200M of shareholder money on a failed "sci fi" automation system.

Tesla's Board of Directors need to remove Musk immediately and install a CEO who can focus on the one thing Tesla needs the most—profitability. Not Autopilot. Not delusional taxi fleets (that won't happen for at least 10 years). Not a semi truck that the world doesn't need. And not focusing much needed resources on playing Unreal in your car.

If you think the stock is down now, wait until the real competition comes. It's less than a year away. VW Group is going to leave Tesla as a smear in the road.

The current price of the stock isn't based on what Elon is doing or planning on doing.

Absolutely it is! What else is there?

It's because fund managers are following the heard. A few fund managers start selling their stock and more and more of the fund managers are going to sell because they don't want to look stupid buying Tesla stock when everyone else is running away.

Eventually the price will bottom out and the reverse will happen. All of a sudden fund managers are going to start buying and more and more fund managers are going to run to Tesla stock which will increase the price.

If you are a buyer this is the best time to buy Tesla stock. If you need to sell your stock then it's a terrible time for you.

You'd have a very good point if this were a move around a reasonable P/E and if Tesla were not an insanely dysfunctional company with massive competition on the way.

Yep, that's exactly why I bought mine (did a day-long side-by-side with an Audi A5 before placing the order).

The thing is, all of the tech, cost and novelty advantage was worth zero to me once I took ownership of the car and essentially took free employment with Tesla as their QA guy and SC tech coach. I had as near as makes no difference ZERO use of my car as it was constantly in the shop, being "looked after" by the most incompetent teams I have ever encountered.

Absolutely it is! What else is there?

Here is one example. This is a self-fulfilled prophecy.

The current price of the stock isn't based on what Elon is doing or planning on doing. It's because fund managers are following the heard. A few fund managers start selling their stock and more and more of the fund managers are going to sell because they don't want to look stupid buying Tesla stock when everyone else is running away.

Eventually the price will bottom out and the reverse will happen. All of a sudden fund managers are going to start buying and more and more fund managers are going to run to Tesla stock which will increase the price.

If you are a buyer this is the best time to buy Tesla stock. If you need to sell your stock then it's a terrible time for you.

Those are good points. Playing devils advocate here, he is a billionaire and we aren't. At least I'm not, you might be :)
Yes but he made that money running very small tech company - the exact opposite of Tesla (a large manufacturing company). The skills do not translate.

Elon is a great visionary/evangelist but he is simply not capable of running a company this large. He is too ADD. A company the size of Tesla can't be run the same way as a 100-person tech company. All of the rapid changes - stores, no stores, stores again, price decrease, price increase, price decrease, it goes on and on. These are symptoms of a leader that is completely over his head.

Elon needs to stay on as the visionary/evangelist but he is not capable of running a company of this size. I'm not saying they should have a stodgy auto person that only changes a model every 4 years, but we need something in between. More rapid innovation than established automakers but not SV startup thrashing like we have now.

Yep, that's exactly why I bought mine (did a day-long side-by-side with an Audi A5 before placing the order).

The thing is, all of the tech, cost and novelty advantage was worth zero to me once I took ownership of the car and essentially took free employment with Tesla as their QA guy and SC tech coach. I had as near as makes no difference ZERO use of my car as it was constantly in the shop, being "looked after" by the most incompetent teams I have ever encountered.

Well, your fault for not avoiding the Null service center.
Your experience is probably more unusual now, not that I wouldn't be mad in the same situation.

It's been dancing around the Mendoza line today. If it starts approaching the Chris Davis line (168), it may be time to panic.
Baseball fans will get my references. :)

I thought you were talking about the Vicky Mendoza Diagonal from How I Met Your Mother until you said the word baseball.

The whole Hot vs Crazy chart seemed appropriate for a TSLA price discussion.

All great comments, finally a thread where everyone is not just drinking the kool-aid. As an owner and a shareholder, I'm schocked at all the promises that are made and not delivered. All good points raised above...the press hates tesla, because if Tesla goes up Oil, parking, Car service, insurance go down. And guess who are the biggest customers of Media, the companies I just mentioned. This is exactly why the press is all negative on Tesla.

Tesla needs to make a $2x,xxx car with 175 mile range. Stop bleed money at service centers. Gosh every repair takes 3 weeks, thats 3 weeks of Tesla paying for a rental car. No wonder they lost 700 million

Im also believing that HyperChange, Ben Sullins, LikeTesla, BlackTesla are making too much of the kool-aid and not objective at all. If they were objective, they wouldnt get paid by Youtube, as no one would watch their videos.

• Disagree
Reactions: Saxgod and rembaz
The "real competition" is always less than a year away. And then it comes out and is trash. And then there's some new competition that's definitely the real thing less than a year away.

Reality is always different from proclamations, made by either the competitors or by Elon himself. At this time, I'm not sure which is further out: upcoming EVs from other makes, or all the things that Elon said would be available soon, or should've been here already.

All great comments, finally a thread where everyone is not just drinking the kool-aid. As an owner and a shareholder, I'm schocked at all the promises that are made and not delivered. All good points raised above...the press hates tesla, because if Tesla goes up Oil, parking, Car service, insurance go down. And guess who are the biggest customers of Media, the companies I just mentioned. This is exactly why the press is all negative on Tesla.

Tesla needs to make a $2x,xxx car with 175 mile range. Stop bleed money at service centers. Gosh every repair takes 3 weeks, thats 3 weeks of Tesla paying for a rental car. No wonder they lost 700 million

Im also believing that HyperChange, Ben Sullins, LikeTesla, BlackTesla are making too much of the kool-aid and not objective at all. If they were objective, they wouldnt get paid by Youtube, as no one would watch their videos.

Well, if Tesla vehicles were better made, with industry-standard level of quality control, there wouldn't be any issues at the service centers. Tesla touts that their vehicles are low maintenance (thus lowering the total cost of ownership), but seeing the constant complaints about service centers is quite a shock.

• Love
Reactions: alcibiades
I think the Support is actually really good, the build quality is not so good. People have become hypersensitve and complain about reallysmall things. A friend had a minor blemish on roof, Tesla replaced the whole glass. This is why they are bleeding money. They need to improve initial quailty to save money on fixing things down the road.

Very happy the Shorts got squeezed today, it took one memo from Elon. Tons of short covering in the first hour of trading today.

I bought a bunch of TSLA this morning in pre-market at 185. Then the price kept dropping till... it bounced hard. I sold at 195. Starting to think I Should have just held. The shorts are brutal, so I was thinking I'd buy it back up again tomorrow. Knowing my luck, it will keep going up (especially now that Musk said the model 3 is being pumped out in massive numbers)

Reactions: evalst2018
Not sure why people keep saying apple should buy now at a lower price bc they need to factor in the massive 10B+ in debt. Apple would wait until sub 150 I would guess. I think maybe going private now if they can get some sucker at a massive fund can also happen.