TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

On the fence: AWD or RWD

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by hotony13, Sep 5, 2018.

1. hotony13

hotony13 Member

So, I'm in a pickle. I don't know whether I want the RWD or AWD more. I've heard the AWD gets just a little less range than the RWD, and therefore might be a little less efficient, but I'm also really tempted by the white seats that the AWD offers as well as the added traction/handling. I just don't know, someone make up my mind! Thanks lol

2. SgtTortuga

SgtTortuga Member

I went with RWD since I live in sunny Phoenix, Arizona and rarely deal with slippery roads. The RWD is definitely fast enough. If I lived anywhere where it was wet or snowy, I would have gone AWD.

• Like x 4
  3. msvoyager

msvoyager Member

Hi there, Its the opposite. An AWD has more range over a RWD. In cold/icy winter climates I would not consider a RWD, but if you travel mostly around San Jose, you don't have to worry about icy conditions ;)

• Disagree x 17
  4. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

AWD pros:
    1. Faster acceleration
    2. Better handling and traction control
    3. Higher regenerative braking
    4. Motor failure redundancy
    5. Access to the white interior
    RWD pros:
    1. More range
    2. Cheaper
    3. Likely to receive it sooner
    This is not correct. In the Model 3, unlike the S, the single motor version is more efficient.

• Like x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

This statement is true for the Model S / Model X. But it is not true for the Model 3. The AWD has less range. Maybe it will change, but it is likely related to the new motor types being used.

And to answer the OP - get the Performance AWD and don't look back :)

• Like x 1
  6. msvoyager

msvoyager Member

Ah, I see. I didn't know that was different for a 3 vs the S and the X. Learned something new!

• Like x 2
  7. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

To add to the confusion - Apparently they have rated them the same, but the RWD EPA range was voluntarily reduced. So on paper they look the same. And again, this is Model 3 only.

8. hotony13

hotony13 Member

I think I'm leaning more towards the RWD. Range and efficiency doesn't matter to myself all that much and the added traction wouldn't either as I'd be in San Jose doing mostly around the city driving/highway. Also, if I really wanted white seats, I could just upgrade with tsportline white seat upgrades for $2000 or so pre-installation, so that could save me $2500 in the long run. And possibly add EAP sometime after delivery if I really wanted it!

• Like x 2
  9. Linkeds2

Linkeds2 Member

Imo you should get EAP. Not so much for auto steer ( it is cool btw), but for adaptive cruise control. Especially the Bay Area traffic, regular cruise control is just a ripoff in a $45k+ car

10. hotony13

hotony13 Member

I am thinking about getting it, but I think I'll be okay without it for the time being. $1K additional to add it on later isn't too bad, just imo

11. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

It was only $500 more the other day. Not sure if it still is.

12. hotony13

hotony13 Member

yeah it's $5500 for post-delivery add-on until the 24th of this month, from what I remember

13. spurs10

spurs10 Member

Is reliability an issue with dual motor? That’s what I heard from Tesla technician and the number of moto replace i read on the forum and YouTube

• Funny x 1
  14. sroh

sroh Member

We have one of each. The RWD definitely is more efficient than the AWD. Averaging 240 wpm with the RWD and 260 with the AWD.

But the better acceleration and handling of the AWD is worth the loss is efficiency. And since you are in the bay area, are you planning on driving to Tahoe during the winter? AWD is a must for that purpose. And the white interior! The white interior is absolutely spectacular.

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

If you enjoy power and can afford AWD, I recommend the AWD. I love my RWD, but there's a noticeable delay in launching from 0 between the RWD and AWD. The instant torque is kind of addicting. If you can afford the AWD and don't get it now, you may regret it later. If you don't thin that'll be a problem for you, then cool. But just saying, would hate to see you wishing you had gone with AWD later once you start to crave more acceleration and better handling.

16. hotony13

hotony13 Member

@Gavyne well, I can't say I can echo your sentiment because I haven't had my hands on an AWD car yet and have nothing to compare the RWD drive to aside from the ones I've driven so far. So I think RWD suits me the best in this case hahaha

• Like x 1
  17. hotony13

hotony13 Member

I noticed you're in San Jose as well! Have you had any post-delivery work on your car done?

18. RedModel3

RedModel3 Member

I have RWD simply because that's all that was available when I ordered. It's certainly plenty fast enough, and as for traction, go and watch those Norwegian YouTube videos of the Model S in the snow. Here's one - he says is RWD.

• Like x 1
  19. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

1000 miles in... 241 is easily doable in AWD

484FF508-9B23-42FE-9993-362EEE357A00.jpeg

• Informative x 2
  20. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Personally, I'd get the RWD in one of the currently available options and get the car in a week or two and enjoy it faster. The AWD isn't going to make a big difference unless you get the performance version. And in any case, you'll be waiting a few months for it.

Think what it would look like sitting in the driveway by the end of the month!

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1