Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the fence: AWD or RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I'm in a pickle. I don't know whether I want the RWD or AWD more. I've heard the AWD gets just a little less range than the RWD, and therefore might be a little less efficient, but I'm also really tempted by the white seats that the AWD offers as well as the added traction/handling. I just don't know, someone make up my mind! Thanks lol

AWD pros:
  1. Faster acceleration
  2. Better handling and traction control
  3. Higher regenerative braking
  4. Motor failure redundancy
  5. Access to the white interior
RWD pros:
  1. More range
  2. Cheaper
  3. Likely to receive it sooner
Hi there, Its the opposite. An AWD has more range over a RWD. In cold/icy winter climates I would not consider a RWD, but if you travel mostly around San Jose, you don't have to worry about icy conditions ;)
This is not correct. In the Model 3, unlike the S, the single motor version is more efficient.

I think I'm leaning more towards the RWD. Range and efficiency doesn't matter to myself all that much and the added traction wouldn't either as I'd be in San Jose doing mostly around the city driving/highway. Also, if I really wanted white seats, I could just upgrade with tsportline white seat upgrades for $2000 or so pre-installation, so that could save me $2500 in the long run. And possibly add EAP sometime after delivery if I really wanted it!

Reactions: Msjulie and forkee
I think I'm leaning more towards the RWD. Range and efficiency doesn't matter to myself all that much and the added traction wouldn't either as I'd be in San Jose doing mostly around the city driving/highway. Also, if I really wanted white seats, I could just upgrade with tsportline white seat upgrades for $2000 or so pre-installation, so that could save me $2500 in the long run. And possibly add EAP sometime after delivery if I really wanted it!
Imo you should get EAP. Not so much for auto steer ( it is cool btw), but for adaptive cruise control. Especially the Bay Area traffic, regular cruise control is just a ripoff in a $45k+ car

We have one of each. The RWD definitely is more efficient than the AWD. Averaging 240 wpm with the RWD and 260 with the AWD.

But the better acceleration and handling of the AWD is worth the loss is efficiency. And since you are in the bay area, are you planning on driving to Tahoe during the winter? AWD is a must for that purpose. And the white interior! The white interior is absolutely spectacular.

If you enjoy power and can afford AWD, I recommend the AWD. I love my RWD, but there's a noticeable delay in launching from 0 between the RWD and AWD. The instant torque is kind of addicting. If you can afford the AWD and don't get it now, you may regret it later. If you don't thin that'll be a problem for you, then cool. But just saying, would hate to see you wishing you had gone with AWD later once you start to crave more acceleration and better handling.

We have one of each. The RWD definitely is more efficient than the AWD. Averaging 240 wpm with the RWD and 260 with the AWD.

But the better acceleration and handling of the AWD is worth the loss is efficiency. And since you are in the bay area, are you planning on driving to Tahoe during the winter? AWD is a must for that purpose. And the white interior! The white interior is absolutely spectacular.
I noticed you're in San Jose as well! Have you had any post-delivery work on your car done?

1000 miles in... 241 is easily doable in AWD

484FF508-9B23-42FE-9993-362EEE357A00.jpeg

So, I'm in a pickle. I don't know whether I want the RWD or AWD more. I've heard the AWD gets just a little less range than the RWD, and therefore might be a little less efficient, but I'm also really tempted by the white seats that the AWD offers as well as the added traction/handling. I just don't know, someone make up my mind! Thanks lol
Personally, I'd get the RWD in one of the currently available options and get the car in a week or two and enjoy it faster. The AWD isn't going to make a big difference unless you get the performance version. And in any case, you'll be waiting a few months for it.

Think what it would look like sitting in the driveway by the end of the month!