Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One pedal driving vs. "Standard" driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we just pick the car up yesterday and it is in hold regular regeneration mode. Feels very strange to use the car in one pedal setup. If I decide I do not like it, what settings get the Y closest to feeling like a traditional car?

I am going to give this a chance, but wanted to know.

So we just pick the car up yesterday and it is in hold regular regeneration mode. Feels very strange to use the car in one pedal setup. If I decide I do not like it, what settings get the Y closest to feeling like a traditional car?

I am going to give this a chance, but wanted to know.
Low regen and roll most likely, but my guess is after a few days/weeks you'll really appreciate the difference once you acclimate to it! Becomes normal and much easier to flow through traffic and you'll get to know the car and when to release the go pedal and use regen for a perfect coast and stop at lights, etc. The power put back into the battery is a bonus.

Low regen and roll most likely, but my guess is after a few days/weeks you'll really appreciate the difference once you acclimate to it! Becomes normal and much easier to flow through traffic and you'll get to know the car and when to release the go pedal and use regen for a perfect coast and stop at lights, etc. The power put back into the battery is a bonus.
I am used to hybrids where taking advantage of the coasting with very light brake pressure make the car the most efficient. The only thing I do not like with the standard one pedal is the abrupt deceroration if you take your foot off. I would like it to be a little more gradual so the car glides more to avoid sudden deceloration.

I am used to hybrids where taking advantage of the coasting with very light brake pressure make the car the most efficient. The only thing I do not like with the standard one pedal is the abrupt deceroration if you take your foot off. I would like it to be a little more gradual so the car glides more to avoid sudden deceloration.

dont take your foot off completely. once you go one pedal driving it is very hard to go back. its is one of the most incredible things that i love love love. sometimes i go without using the brake pedal for days. it just takes a little time and you will be in love with it.

Like said above, just feather the go pedal. No need to be on or off. It's like a symphony. Go with the flow.

dont take your foot off completely. once you go one pedal driving it is very hard to go back. its is one of the most incredible things that i love love love. sometimes i go without using the brake pedal for days. it just takes a little time and you will be in love with it.

It is quite amazing. I hardly use the brake anymore. Once you figure our the "featherin'" it's cake.

Think of it like those old track car games. Don't completely let off the accelerator just reduce pressure.
upload_2020-10-1_13-48-31.png

It reminds me driving of driving a manual transmission but only so much better! Instead of gearing down to the appropriate gear when coming into a sharp turn, taking advantage of the engine's compression, with one-foot driving it is all done with a light touch of the foot instead of downshifting, immediately slowing down based on how much you delicately lift your foot from the accelerator! Its provides amazing, instant control!

My wife was the same way with the aggressive regen braking, used to make herself carsick driving but I forced her to stick with it because it is how you get the most benefit out of driving an electric vehicle. You have to think of it like this, you position the throttle pedal to the position that matches the speed you want. It was a 2 second transition for me because I am used to driving a manual transmission all the time but she mostly drives an auto and it took her a couple weeks to get it smooth. Now she doesnt even notice.

Trust me, after a day or two you will absolutely love and prefer “one pedal” driving. Give it a chance.
I plan on giving it a chance, it just took her by surprise, since its not like you can test drive these cars. I know I will keep at it. She is also the primary driver of this car, but it will be the general family car also, so she will put about 70% of the miles on it.

I am a much more efficient driver as it is also. I can say that here, she will never read it.

• Funny
Reactions: bpjones
I've had mine for almost a month and probably used the brake pedal about a dozen times at this point.

I know I used it twice in the 25-30 miles home from delivery. I've remarked to others that Tesla must have done a great design job on the pedal feel/play because I"m sure it ain't me. Used it once today on the grocery store round trip and that was only because I had FSD on (still trying to figure that out vs cruise control) and had to brake as it came up to a stop.

The one thing I'm still having trouble with is stopping at the correct point when it's a little downhill (probably really have a problem on a real hill). I guess the brake doesn't kick in until you actually come to a halt?

I <snip>since its not like you can test drive these cars.
????
I did.
I made an appointment and the sales guy activated a car. My wife and I got in and came back 30-40 minutes later. I tried interstate, local, smooth, bumpy, flooring it at 40mph on the interstate, etc. Immediately loved the regen braking although I tried the other regen and some of the other control like chill etc.

I believe creep is designed to imitate ICE automatic cars, not roll.

Creep gives feedback to novice EV drivers that they are on the brake. Pedal confusion is perhaps the biggest risk to an unfamiliar driver. Low and creep is the best way to setup the car if someone want to try driving an EV. Of course hold and standard is the way for the owner to drive.

A new owner who can not smoothly control the car could perhaps start on hold and low.

The car I test drove was setup for hold and standard. I ended up playing with it, but that was the initial setting.

I also find that I can creep along from a stop more accurately and more slowly (i.e. barely moving) with better control than I can with my Subaru Outback. Don't drive the Camry hybrid enough to have a feel for it.

I am used to hybrids where taking advantage of the coasting with very light brake pressure make the car the most efficient.

This is your problem. Just retrain your leg to keep "very light pressure" on the accelerator (decelerator) pedal and you will be good to go. One-pedal driving is awesome. I go for days with the only time I thought the brake pedal is to stop in our tight garage.

Take whatever amount of time you need to learn to love one pedal driving. Like many others have already stated, once you ‘get there’ you will not want to go back to anything else.

Driving my GF’s 3 spoiled me enough to sell my 2016 S and get a Y. There is only a small difference between the 2016 S and a new Y when it comes to one pedal driving but even that was enough.

Also- anything else besides standard regen and Hold will prolly decrease your range and increase wear on your brakes (as others have mentioned).

I will echo what has been said many times, there is a learning curve. Once you have it is great. I came from other EVs and hybrids and I was accustomed to "pulse driving". To make matters worse for me I get motion sick really easily. The firsts go with standard regen were not pleasant.

I was worried that getting used to the Tesla would make it difficult for me to switch between cars (before we went all Tesla). That didn't turn out to be case. I unlearned my habit of removing my foot from accelerator abruptly. My foot instinctively slowly lets off the accelerator slowly, if I don't feel like I'm slowing down fast enough then my foot moves to the brake pedal. This is all without actively thinking about. This turns out to work universally. The amount of regen in the Tesla will vary anyway (e.g. batter cold or full) so it will sometimes behave like others cars.