Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One pedal driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m away in our imported American RV at the moment. After a few months of Model 3 driving, it’s a good idea to remember you have to press that pedal on the left when it weighs 12.5 tonnes. :eek:

and if you want to hear something that makes the reverse squeak on the Model 3 sound like nothing to write home about, try reverse on this thing after it’s stood for a while. Air brakes, even being feathered, sound like a rhino mating with a fox in a shipping container.

I’m away in our imported American RV at the moment. After a few months of Model 3 driving, it’s a good idea to remember you have to press that pedal on the left when it weighs 12.5 tonnes. :eek:

and if you want to hear something that makes the reverse squeak on the Model 3 sound like nothing to write home about, try reverse on this thing after it’s stood for a while. Air brakes, even being feathered, sound like a rhino mating with a fox in a shipping container.
12.5 tonnes - just a tiddler then. I regularly have 44 tonnes

I had the impression that the AP was a bit more relaxed on that older MS than the M3

If you had old AP1 on the MS (the AP that could read speed signs) that was definitely a less nervous, less jerky, driver. Much easier to feather throttle whilst AP1 was on too ... with AP2 I find it hard to ease the accelerator e.g. when a car pulls out in front, so car doesn't use friction brakes and falls back "gently". but when i release accelerator there is a significant jerk as it switches back to speed up or down to get to appropriate follow-speed; even when I have the speed correctly matched (feels like there is a "delay" whilst AP takes over, and then it takes speed-up / slow-down action). The philosophical part of operation is different :)

Reactions: Adopado
If you had old AP1 on the MS (the AP that could read speed signs) that was definitely a less nervous, less jerky, driver. Much easier to feather throttle whilst AP1 was on too ... with AP2 I find it hard to ease the accelerator e.g. when a car pulls out in front, so car doesn't use friction brakes and falls back "gently". but when i release accelerator there is a significant jerk as it switches back to speed up or down to get to appropriate follow-speed; even when I have the speed correctly matched (feels like there is a "delay" whilst AP takes over, and then it takes speed-up / slow-down action). The philosophical part of operation is different :)

I look forward to the day they refine this. It's one of those "little" things that have a big impact on how much confidence one (and perhaps more importantly one's passengers) has on AP.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I look forward to the day they refine this. It's one of those "little" things that have a big impact on how much confidence one (and perhaps more importantly one's passengers) has on AP.

I think that the smoother action of AP on the MS I drove may also be related to what appeared to me to be a lower regen (despite being on the standard setting). This means that when it is backing off because of a vehicle ahead it does so more progressively rather than the M3 that has a more noticeable deceleration. So it's less of that "on-off" feeling. Mind you, neither are as smooth as a real driver.

12.5 tonnes - just a tiddler then. I regularly have 44 tonnes
Yep Mr H.

In trucking standards, it’s a half full half size trailer I’d imagine! But if you’ve got an RV at 44 tonnes I’d like to see it ;)

although I have a class C, I’ve never done commercial trucking so I’m always intrigued what 44tonnes feels like in your control (or lack thereof). I tip my hat to you.

Reactions: Mr H
Yep Mr H.

In trucking standards, it’s a half full half size trailer I’d imagine! But if you’ve got an RV at 44 tonnes I’d like to see it ;)

although I have a class C, I’ve never done commercial trucking so I’m always intrigued what 44tonnes feels like in your control (or lack thereof). I tip my hat to you.
44 tonnes is the same as 10 tonnes, it just goes a bit slower lol. My truck has a 62tm crane on it so weighs 29tonnes minimum :cool:

IMG_1037.JPG