Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One pedal driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving my new Y for just one week, I’m amazed at how quickly I’ve gotten used to, and come to really like, the regenerative breaking and one pedal driving. I drove one our traditional cars last night, and was initially almost confused when I let off the accelerator approaching a stop sign, and the car kept rolling at almost full speed! It took my brain a few minutes to make the context switch. Anyway, the thing I keep telling people is that I just love the way it feels to drive the Y.

After driving my new Y for just one week, I’m amazed at how quickly I’ve gotten used to, and come to really like, the regenerative breaking and one pedal driving. I drove one our traditional cars last night, and was initially almost confused when I let off the accelerator approaching a stop sign, and the car kept rolling at almost full speed! It took my brain a few minutes to make the context switch. Anyway, the thing I keep telling people is that I just love the way it feels to drive the Y.
I got my Y mid-June and couldn't agree with you more. The regen experience makes driving so much easier/fun!

100% agree. I feel unsafe in ICE now.

I've always hated the coasting of Automatic transmissions, coming from someone who has spent most of his life driving Manual. Now, one-foot has even made Manual brake pedal usage somewhat annoying.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Soon you'll walk away from a gas car and leave the engine running forgetting it doesn't just shut off on its own.

Some of the Tesla quirks/convenience items are great. You don't realize the little things until you drive some other vehicles.

Soon you'll walk away from a gas car and leave the engine running forgetting it doesn't just shut off on its own.

Some of the Tesla quirks/convenience items are great. You don't realize the little things until you drive some other vehicles.
Yup. Forget to turn it off (and on), to lock it, to apply the parking brake, etc.

And you'll attempt to shift an ICE via the wiper stalk hahah.

Reactions: dmk712
I've seen a lot of comments about pre-conditioning the battery, with many different ways to accomplish it. How would you recommend I do this at home?
There are a few ways.
You can do it via the Charging section on the car screen and use the scheduled departure.

The other way to do it is manually going into the Tesla app and turning on the Heat/Defrost. I prefer using this method since the scheduled departure can be a bit buggy at times, especially with the charging.

When you turn on the vehicle's heating function while the car is parked, what this is also does it heat up the front and rear Stator motors. Coolant is pumped past the motors and the heat is then pushed through the battery pack, pre-warming them.

I should have better data once temps get colder in my area, but it'll be about 2 months before temps are consistently in the 30s and 40s.
With my battery packs at around 60F, in 10 minutes they rise up 7F. In 30 minutes, they rise up 14F. It will probably take a little longer with a colder pack, but generally speaking, 10-30 minutes is what Model 3 owners are suggesting for pre-conditioning in the winter time. If you're plugged into a charger and you're using a HPWC or NEMA 14-50, the power from the wall will be sufficient to warm up everything since it takes around 7.75 kW to pre-condition. If you're using anything less than 32A, it will pull from the battery pack to pre-condition.

I've seen a lot of comments about pre-conditioning the battery, with many different ways to accomplish it. How would you recommend I do this at home?
Let's say you leave every morning for work at 7 AM. Set your scheduler to start charging the car at 5 AM (depending on your charge speed). That way the battery is warming up until you leave. We found this very useful in the winter.

Also, you can preheat the cabin while you get ready.

Reactions: mark95476