Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Pedal Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The natural driving behave when you encounter a uncertain scenario is to lift your food from accelerator until you get confidence, but you should not break and that's the danger with the standard regen.
With tesla standard regen the correct way is to keep a soft feet on accelerator to prevent breaking but that is contra intuitive or at least a skill to learn and can be hard when one is panicking on a slide.

Very true. Implementing regen in the brake pedal and removing one pedal driving would cause many people to switch to that all year long though, just because many people avoid change.

Would be nice if, when traction control detects a loss of traction, letting off the accelerator would emulate coasting until traction is regained again. I don't have a problem keeping my foot steady in that situation, but others definitely might not know better.

Reactions: flixden
Would be nice if, when traction control detects a loss of traction, letting off the accelerator would emulate coasting until traction is regained again. I don't have a problem keeping my foot steady in that situation, but others definitely might not know better.
Youtuber Bjorn tested regen braking in winter slippery conditions and the car running newer software version was able to detect slippage during regen braking and reduced braking affect to avoid wheels lock. It appears that function similar to ABS is implemented for regen braking to control the loss of traction.
It's hard to tell how effective these controls are. It would be interesting to see how it performs on black ice or ice ring.

Regen is much lower in cold weather due to cold batteries. Get winter tires, if you drive on snow. They work well.
Regen is limited only for few minutes while the battery warms up. Usually not more than 3-5min. Winter tires here are mandatory.
Youtuber Bjorn tested regen braking in winter slippery conditions and the car running newer software version was able to detect slippage during regen braking and reduced braking affect to avoid wheels lock. It appears that function similar to ABS is implemented for regen braking to control the loss of traction.
It's hard to tell how effective these controls are. It would be interesting to see how it performs on black ice or ice ring.

Yes it works similar to ABS. When it detects slide it correct very quick. But black ICE in a curve is no joke, it can take you by surprise and when you realize it is usually too late. And that split second before the correction can start the slide that once start becomes super hard to take control back.

It is the only one situation I think the one pedal regen is not best. Also it is not a everyday thing during winter, happens only few times during specific weather conditions. But still, it is that one time that one pedal regen can be a safety issue.

Regen is limited only for few minutes while the battery warms up. Usually not more than 3-5min. Winter tires here are mandatory.

Yes it works similar to ABS. When it detects slide it correct very quick. But black ICE in a curve is no joke, it can take you by surprise and when you realize it is usually too late. And that split second before the correction can start the slide that once start becomes super hard to take control back.

It is the only one situation I think the one pedal regen is not best. Also it is not an everyday thing during winter, happens only few times during specific weather conditions. But still, it is that one time that one pedal regen can be a safety issue.
I was referring to the Americans talking about snow, not someone from the country that invented winter tires. :)

I have Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tires. No issues in winter (other than the tire noise).

• Funny
Reactions: ICE5891
When I test drive the MY a couple weeks ago, I noticed the very aggressive regenerative braking as soon as I got off the accelerator pedal.
I asked the rep there if that can be adjusted to be less aggressive. The answer was: "... not at the moment, but it will be with the next update which is due to be available next week."

Is this true, and can this now be adjusted?
(I am asking as I have just ordered the MY. Don't have it yet.)
Get used to regenerative braking and you won't turn it off.

Nice to come to a full stop at stop sign then accelerate away without moving you foot back and forth from pedal to pedal.

One question for owners: If regin is turned off. When using the brake pedal does a Tesla used brake shoes or regin?