Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Pedal Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coasting as stated suggests doing nothing with kinetic energy. It's best to use some of that as electrical energy for stopping to resist motor rotation, not coasting, and the rest put back into the battery. Maybe we're saying the same thing but expressing it differently.
It comes down to what you’re trying to accomplish at a time of coasting.

If I’m coming up to a stop sign and i coast right to the line, this is most efficient.

If I coast and will pass the line, I need to physically stop the car. In this case, regen is best, since it takes that excess kinetic energy and stores it.

I would have been better still if I was able to lift off and coast earlier and stop exactly where needed.

The difference between those situations is where efficiency can be found or lost.

Incorrect. Coasting uses that kinetic energy to continue to a stop. What’s the alternative, stop short, regen, and continue to the stopping point?

Regen when pressing the brake pedal.

If you could have as full regen as available blended with friction brakes to stop when needed and otherwise coast, you could be more efficient.
I agree with both statements above.
Coasting to the stop will take a little longer, but save energy, as there are losses with re-gen and powering up more. If you can get right to the line.

Ideally, you'd be able to regen with the brake pedal, like Toyota does. But I imagine the difference is small if you drive the Tesla correctly (efficiently, that is).

Reactions: zoomer0056
If you can coast instead of regenerating to stop, you don’t have to convert the mechanical energy into electrical and back into mechanical to use. You just coast. There are losses associated with that change back and forth.

That’s all I’m referring to.
"Coasting" is really a form of minimal braking, since you are slowing down as a result of air resistance and rolling resistance (and bearing friction) etc. If you can achieve the same rate of deceleration with the accelerator with a super-lite "regen" touch then you are pretty much using the same (minimal) energy. There have of course been long threads discussing stuff like putting the can In neutral to try to minimize energy usage, but we're talking VERY small changes to efficiency here.

Reactions: flixden
Incorrect. Coasting uses that kinetic energy to continue to a stop. What’s the alternative, stop short, regen, and continue to the stopping point?

Regen when pressing the brake pedal.

If you could have as full regen as available blended with friction brakes to stop when needed and otherwise coast, you could be more efficient.
What it has to do with my post? I've never said anything about regen while pressing brake pedal.

word on the street says apparently the ability to regulated regen is coming back to all cars. I dont have the option on my Model S either. But honestly, I would learn to drive well with the regen. It ads range, uses FAR less of your brakes (so you dont have to worry about brake changes) and its one of the best parts about driving an EV.

Reactions: zoomer0056
It comes down to what you’re trying to accomplish at a time of coasting.

If I’m coming up to a stop sign and i coast right to the line, this is most efficient.

If I coast and will pass the line, I need to physically stop the car. In this case, regen is best, since it takes that excess kinetic energy and stores it.

I would have been better still if I was able to lift off and coast earlier and stop exactly where needed.

The difference between those situations is where efficiency can be found or lost.

For sure that's accurate. I suspect though that Tesla's approach to regen is more efficient in practice because it enforces the efficiency.

When I drove an ICE vehicle, I tended to be a hard breaker with abrupt stops... and that's as a former hyper-miler long ago, so I knew very well that it was less efficient but drove that way anyways just from adopting bad habit.

When I got the Model 3, it forced me to become a better driver by relearning braking distances and in doing so also improved efficiency.

If Tesla instead implemented a Regen brake pedal and removed regen from the accelerator, I suspect most people would be hard brakers.

Reactions: flixden
word on the street says apparently the ability to regulated regen is coming back to all cars. I dont have the option on my Model S either. But honestly, I would learn to drive well with the regen. It ads range, uses FAR less of your brakes (so you dont have to worry about brake changes) and its one of the best parts about driving an EV.
IMO, one pedal driving is one of the best Tesla features. Tesla did a great job making it feel natural, smooth and easy to modulate. Sometimes I drive for few days and won't even touch the break pedal.

For sure that's accurate. I suspect though that Tesla's approach to regen is more efficient in practice because it enforces the efficiency.

When I drove an ICE vehicle, I tended to be a hard breaker with abrupt stops... and that's as a former hyper-miler long ago, so I knew very well that it was less efficient but drove that way anyways just from adopting bad habit.

When I got the Model 3, it forced me to become a better driver by relearning braking distances and in doing so also improved efficiency.

If Tesla instead implemented a Regen brake pedal and removed regen from the accelerator, I suspect most people would be hard brakers.
Interesting point. That very well may be true.

IMO, one pedal driving is one of the best Tesla features. Tesla did a great job making it feel natural, smooth and easy to modulate. Sometimes I drive for few days and won't even touch the break pedal.
I have low and normal regen, since my car is older. I tried low yesterday to test what was said above and it is weird. I quickly switched back to normal regen. One pedal braking is great.

I can actually see that being true.

Makes me feel good that most peope here like the regen braking implementation. I am sure I'll get used to it really quick and will like it, too!
Thanks for all the responses, this really helped understanding how this works, etc.

Yes I agree with that. The way tesla implemented regen is the most efficient because it adjust the breaking distance to the most efficient regen and not the compromising the regen based on the breaking distance. And at the same educate drivers.

Porsche approach with break pedal regen can in theory be as efficient as tesla, but in practice it isn't because you will never get so good and consistent drivers.

However I would preferer that tesla would have both because of the winter ice scenario where tesla regen break can initiate a fishtail slide. In this scenario the Porsche implementation is safer and still keep a good amount of regen.

Yes I agree with that. The way tesla implemented regen is the most efficient because it adjust the breaking distance to the most efficient regen and not the compromising the regen based on the breaking distance. And at the same educate drivers.

Porsche approach with break pedal regen can in theory be as efficient as tesla, but in practice it isn't because you will never get so good and consistent drivers.

However I would preferer that tesla would have both because of the winter ice scenario where tesla regen break can initiate a fishtail slide. In this scenario the Porsche implementation is safer and still keep a good amount of regen.
That's when you'd want to be able to doal down the regen, hopefully that option will come.
Would traction control limit regen on ice if that fishtail scenario happens?

That's when you'd want to be able to doal down the regen, hopefully that option will come.
Would traction control limit regen on ice if that fishtail scenario happens?
Traction control works very well in the ice, no complains about that. In fact model 3 is a beast in the winter conditions, except for ground clearance it is better than any other car I've driven in winter.

But black ice can be tricky. Traction control does its job testing the limits of traction and that split second can be the determining factor if you get into a bad slide or not. The natural driving behave when you encounter a uncertain scenario is to lift your food from accelerator until you get confidence, but you should not break and that's the danger with the standard regen.
With tesla standard regen the correct way is to keep a soft feet on accelerator to prevent breaking but that is contra intuitive or at least a skill to learn and can be hard when one is panicking on a slide.

On the other hand due to winter range loss, this is the time of the year that we want regen the most to keep a good range so even if tesla comes back with the low regen you see that many could underestimate black ice situation and compromise safety to have few extra km of range.

Because of that I think the best possible scenario is to have standard regen that we like and are used to, and break pedal regen for winter where it would behave more like a ICE car, the way Porsche is implementing it. But as a option, not as standard.

Reactions: Oreodriver