Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Pedal Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I test drive the MY a couple weeks ago, I noticed the very aggressive regenerative braking as soon as I got off the accelerator pedal.
I asked the rep there if that can be adjusted to be less aggressive. The answer was: "... not at the moment, but it will be with the next update which is due to be available next week."

Is this true, and can this now be adjusted?
(I am asking as I have just ordered the MY. Don't have it yet.)

When I test drive the MY a couple weeks ago, I noticed the very aggressive regenerative braking as soon as I got off the accelerator pedal.
I asked the rep there if that can be adjusted to be less aggressive. The answer was: "... not at the moment, but it will be with the next update which is due to be available next week."

Lots of people react like this. Driving with regen is different, just as driving an automatic is different from a stick/manual shift.

Regen WILL feel aggressive if you drive the car like it was an automatic .. instinctively lifting your foot off the accelerator to "coast". But with regen the car isnt designed to be driven that way, instead it's designed for one-pedal driving (most of the time). So you will need to change your muscle memory to GENTLY lift off the accelerator to slow the car down only as much as you want. But just like a pair of new shoes, it will feel "odd" at first, and even annoying. But when you get the car, give it a go .. and just like those new shoes, you will pick up the technique within a few hours of driving around town, and then it will become second nature.

And it's worth it .. the brakes will basically last forever, you only have to use one pedal to drive the car, and the regen will increase the range of the car (and save you $$). Give it try!!

Regen braking can be set to "Low" in 12.8 according to notateslaapp.com

I would actually like to see an additional "High" setting. Normal is fine but slightly stronger would be my daily preference.

Even if it can be set to low in a future update, you don’t want to do that because it will reduce your efficiency and you’ll get less range.

Unlike most other hybrids and EVs, Teslas cannot regen with the brake pedal. So by using low regen and applying the brakes more, you are burning off kinetic energy with the friction brakes instead of recapturing most of it.

Even if it can be set to low in a future update, you don’t want to do that because it will reduce your efficiency and you’ll get less range.

Unlike most other hybrids and EVs, Teslas cannot regen with the brake pedal. So by using low regen and applying the brakes more, you are burning off kinetic energy with the friction brakes instead of recapturing most of it.
Oh, our posts crossed.
That is interesting. Our R4P certainly does regenerative braking when pressing the brake pedal. It's clearly visible by looking at the charge / power needle.
Now this makes sense, and you definitely want to keep the regen braking at a high level then.
It is surprising though, that the brake pedal doesn't support regen braking. Seems like more range could be achieved.

Oh, our posts crossed.
That is interesting. Our R4P certainly does regenerative braking when pressing the brake pedal. It's clearly visible by looking at the charge / power needle.
Now this makes sense, and you definitely want to keep the regen braking at a high level then.
It is surprising though, that the brake pedal doesn't support regen braking. Seems like more range could be achieved.
Tesla did not bother to engineer a blended braking system so the brake pedal is 100% friction brakes only.

Reactions: flixden
Thanks!!
For the actual regen and energy savings --- it would be the same with a less aggressive setting I would think, as slight brake pedal presses will also do regenerative braking, right?
No, then you are "stealing" potential regen energy and converting it into heat in the brake disks. Some EVs use the "brake" pedal to first apply some regen and then (when pressed harder) apply the regular brakes, but with Tesla regen is handled solely by lifting your foot off the accelerator. (In fact, when regen is NOT available (when the battery is at 100% charge) the car will do the reverse, applying the regular brakes when you lift your foot off the accelerator to simulate regen.)

Reactions: Kupe and flixden
There is also the Braking Stopping Mode setting that you will have that effects regen and will be a mater of personal preference. The choices are 'creep', 'hold', and 'roll'. Creep mimics a traditional automatic transmission and the car will creep forward when you let off the brake. Hold is the setting for true one-pedal driving and will apply regen all the way down to 0 mph. Roll has regen only down to ~5mph and then you use the brake pedal to control final stopping. I personally prefer Roll myself, since I find it a slightly smoother experience, but your mileage may vary as they say. Just something to be aware of.

Some people like to complain about Roll because you are wasting energy by not regening all the way down to 0. Because kinetic energy goes as v^2, the harvested energy you are missing out on is a fraction of a percent even when stopping from moderate speeds like 35 mph. Just use the mode you end up liking.

That aggressive regenerative braking that surprised you may very well save you from an accident or injury when driving on autopilot.
It scares the shyt out of passengers that have never ridden in an EV. also scares the wife but she is getting used to it.
With over 12k miles on my Y I am more trusting of the AI in my Tesla than I was when I test drove and first took delivery. As we say in NJ
Faaa get about it.
Order and enjoy it!

Reactions: flixden
I will chime in but it’s already been said. By the time an update comes, you will have got used to it and won’t want to change the setting. You hear a lot of times people saying it is one of the functions they love, but didn’t think they would. Instead of doing a test drive I actually rented a model 3 from Hertz for 3 days. I think this is a great way to actually see what it’s like to live with a Tesla. Day one was really weird and I probably would have changed the settings if it was an option, but by day 3 I had the hang of it and would never go back. It is wonderful. It feels weird now when I do have to touch the breaks. On my commute to work I only touch the breaks once and that is when I have to decelerate pretty quickly going downhill on an off ramp. Other than that…..one pedal driving!

Only word of caution. If you have been driving your Tesla for months and then have to drive a gas vehicle (like my wife’s Hylander) it feels old and odd. Hard to describe, but it’s super weird.

I also find that those of us who have a history of driving manual transmission take to the full regen setting much much easier. In fact, when I give a test drive to somebody who has driven a manual before I just tell them "you are driving a one-speed manual transmission" and it seems to just click for them. And in reality that is exactly what it is. Either way though, most people seem to get used to it fine. I do think it is great they are bringing back the setting though for those who want it, and it is really nice (and safer) to be able to put the regen to low in snow/ice.

There is also the Braking Stopping Mode setting that you will have that effects regen and will be a mater of personal preference. The choices are 'creep', 'hold', and 'roll'. Creep mimics a traditional automatic transmission and the car will creep forward when you let off the brake. Hold is the setting for true one-pedal driving and will apply regen all the way down to 0 mph. Roll has regen only down to ~5mph and then you use the brake pedal to control final stopping. I personally prefer Roll myself, since I find it a slightly smoother experience, but your mileage may vary as they say. Just something to be aware of.

Some people like to complain about Roll because you are wasting energy by not regening all the way down to 0. Because kinetic energy goes as v^2, the harvested energy you are missing out on is a fraction of a percent even when stopping from moderate speeds like 35 mph. Just use the mode you end up liking.
This!
SA explained "hold" was like driving a golf cart. She nailed it.
Creep was more like what I was used to.

Regen braking can be set to "Low" in 12.8 according to notateslaapp.com

I would actually like to see an additional "High" setting. Normal is fine but slightly stronger would be my daily preference.
The NotATeslaApp announcement of regen adjustment was addressed in another thread. Most here at TMC that have the update, report they can not adjust regen. So I asked NotATeslapp. If you look at the release notes pertaining to regen you'll see which cars it applies to. In this case there is a "Specific Cars" label. Their answer to my question:
Screenshot_20230521_164343_Gmail.jpg