Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Pedal Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I won’t buy another EV that doesn’t offer one pedal driving. I control deceleration with the accelerator pedal. If I need to slow down quickly, I take my foot off. If I can slow gradually, I gradually reduce pressure on the accelerator pedal until I achieve the desired slowing rate. The goal is always to have the car stop at the stop line, or just behind the car in front. The brake pedal is for emergency stops, or when I’ve miscalculated the stopping distance.

I won’t buy another EV that doesn’t offer one pedal driving. I control deceleration with the accelerator pedal. If I need to slow down quickly, I take my foot off. If I can slow gradually, I gradually reduce pressure on the accelerator pedal until I achieve the desired slowing rate. The goal is always to have the car stop at the stop line, or just behind the car in front. The brake pedal is for emergency stops, or when I’ve miscalculated the stopping distance.
I am sure I get used to it, no doubt.
But I also like the fact that the brake pedal actually activates regen braking in my R4P.
I'll be able to tell which I like better after a few months with the MY. 😊👍🏻

I have not yet driven an EV with regen on the brake pedal, but I am curious about it. Probably nice on level ground but not as good for downhill speed regulation. I did really like the adjustable regen on the paddle 'shifters' on the Ioniq 5 through when I drove my friends.
It feels no different than regular brakes, Toyota did a good job on it. The only way to notice is when you see the regen gauge go higher and higher the more you hit the brake, especially at high(er) speeds, of course. Works fine for downhill speed regulation. In fact, you just drive and brake as needed.

Reactions: E90alex
Can you "coast" with the Tesla by holding the pedal at the right position?
Not really... Think of the accelerator pedal as absolute energy output. When the energy output is higher than the energy required to maintain speed, you accelerate. When it is less, you decelerate. So, to coast like an automatic transmission, or manual with the clutch depressed, you have to carefully regulate pedal position, moving it slightly as the car decelerates to simulate that coasting.

You always have muscle pressure on your foot and slightly move the pedal to control the precise rate of deceleration.

Reactions: MattM24
If you can coast instead of regenerating to stop, you don’t have to convert the mechanical energy into electrical and back into mechanical to use. You just coast. There are losses associated with that change back and forth.

That’s all I’m referring to.
It doesn't really work in real life. You can't coast all the time. Just modulate accelerator and you get pretty close to coasting and when you need to slow down you save a lot with regen.
I set regen to Zero (via Track mode) and went the same route I normally go. I got 360Wh/mi with Zero regen instead of 260Wh/mi with regular default regen settings.

Can you "coast" with the Tesla by holding the pedal at the right position?
Kind of. You can modulate the pedal so the display doesn’t show any power or regen, but the pedal position to achieve that will vary depending on conditions and is also very sensitive so it’s difficult to maintain at 0.

But also with a permanent magnet motor, you can’t really “freewheel” because you still need to use energy to overcome the force of the magnets trying to slow the motor down in order to allow the car to coast.

Hard to describe, but it’s super weird.
And how; when I take my foot of the accelerator in my wife's ICE car, it seems to speed up alarmingly, this perception is of course due to the subconscious expectation that we will slow down. It only took a couple of days of one pedal driving of the Tesla for this to manifest.

I have always tried to control speed as much as possible with the gas pedal and the least possible use of the brakes. Consequently, my pads tended to die of old age. This is probably why I was in love with regen braking by the end of the test drive.

Have you noticed that Teslas now compensate for the loss of regen breaking when the battery is full by automatically applying the brakes. Whilst we are not passing much energy back to the battery, we can continue to enjoy one pedal driving.

If it takes a while for the OP to become accustomed, well ......thems the brakes:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: father_of_6
It doesn't really work in real life. You can't coast all the time. Just modulate accelerator and you get pretty close to coasting and when you need to slow down you save a lot with regen.
I set regen to Zero (via Track mode) and went the same route I normally go. I got 360Wh/mi with Zero regen instead of 260Wh/mi with regular default regen settings.
It doesn’t work on a Tesla. I believe that’s how it works on Porsche.

If you can coast instead of regenerating to stop, you don’t have to convert the mechanical energy into electrical and back into mechanical to use. You just coast. There are losses associated with that change back and forth.

That’s all I’m referring to.
That's nonsensical. Coasting and doing nothing with kinetic energy yields nothing. Convert some of that to electrical to slow the vehicle, use the rest for charging.

That's nonsensical. Coasting and doing nothing with kinetic energy yields nothing. Convert some of that to electrical to slow the vehicle, use the rest for charging.
Incorrect. Coasting uses that kinetic energy to continue to a stop. What’s the alternative, stop short, regen, and continue to the stopping point?

What doesn't work on Tesla?
Regen when pressing the brake pedal.

If you could have as full regen as available blended with friction brakes to stop when needed and otherwise coast, you could be more efficient.

Reactions: father_of_6