Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One thing I LOVE about the Autopilot "Recall"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently there's no more yanking the steering wheel/yoke every 30 seconds like a neanderthal. THANK YOU TESLA (via NTSB)!!!!

I can simply drive with one hand on the wheel like a normal person (and like my wife's X3). I don't know if this is from a previously unused capacitive sensor in the yoke or from the camera monitor, but either way, this is SO much less stressful to me.

As posted previously, it sounds like it was an issue with your individual car that was fixed. I, and many others, with MS or other Tesla's didn't have that issue prior and for me nothing has changed.
By Tesla's own documentation, "tugging" the steering wheel was required to verify interaction...every #@^#! 30 seconds. Now I don't have to do that. It's a win in my book.

Reactions: DerbyDave
By Tesla's own documentation, "tugging" the steering wheel was required to verify interaction...every #@^#! 30 seconds. Now I don't have to do that. It's a win in my book.
Where does Tesla say to "tug" on the wheel? It says keep hands on the steering wheel.

One finger satisfies across multiple Teslas. I have been on the FSD track on them since 10.3 (except for my MS which entered at like 10.5).

If the OP is saying that the car MAY be watching you and thus not need to have you touch the wheel, the test would be to NOT touch the wheel and drive. Should know in about 30 seconds if that's the change they made. I did experience a single drive from Supercharger to Supercharger where FSD drove the entire way and I made exaggerated eye movements and never actually touched the wheel during the 15 minute drive. But the next morning I was unable to reproduce that behavior and never since, so if this is in the new software I am very excited. I miss the tug every two minutes it was at when I got the car, "Just checking if you're still awake"

Where does Tesla say to "tug" on the wheel? It says keep hands on the steering wheel.

One finger satisfies across multiple Teslas. I have been on the FSD track on them since 10.3 (except for my MS which entered at like 10.5).
You're right, Tesla doesn't use that terminology on the screen, but in practice (previously) it was a misnomer, because simply placing your hands on the wheel was not adequate...the wheel needed an input in order to satisfy the requirement. That input, in my experience in my car, was both substantial and intrusive. Now, through either a capacitive sensor, the in-car camera, or both, that input appears to no longer necessary, and the requirement can now be satisfied by simply touching the wheel.

Your experience and preference may have been different, but I'm now VERY happy with this change.

Reactions: rlsd
You're right, Tesla doesn't use that terminology on the screen, but in practice (previously) it was a misnomer, because simply placing your hands on the wheel was not adequate...the wheel needed an input in order to satisfy the requirement. That input, in my experience in my car, was both substantial and intrusive. Now, through either a capacitive sensor, the in-car camera, or both, that input appears to no longer necessary, and the requirement can now be satisfied by simply touching the wheel.

Your experience and preference may have been different, but I'm now VERY happy with this change.
There is no captive sensor. I would guess they were able to create more uniformity in the torque the car is looking for. You aren't the only one to say it requires less pressure.

My '23 MY required a significant force to acknowledge hands on the wheel where I would call it a tug for sure. It was quite annoying. I haven't tested with the latest update yet.