Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One thing you LOVE and DISLIKE about your Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love: Autopilot. I use it for over 80% of my driving, mostly around and through my rural New Mexico town.

Dislike: Hot sweaty seats (even the white). Any suggestions?

• Love the awesome acceleration, even LR in chill mode
  • Love that it does not smell and I don't have to deal with gasoline
  • Love how quiet it is
  • Love the handling
  • Love OTA updates (installing one as I type: 2022.24.5)
  • Love one pedal driving
  • Love the simple interior and having the UI on a configurable touch screen
  • Love all the storage space
  • Love dog mode, camp mode, and keep mode
  • Love not needing a key
  • Love starting climate control from the app
  • Love the Tesla community

• Like the auto wipers. They work well for me in lots of different conditions including monsoons.
  • Like that auto wipers turn on when I reverse. I am almost always going to go forward after I reverse
  • Like the nav system. Looks good and works well for me. YMMV
  • Like voice commands
  • Like the sound system
  • Like having a browser and entertainment system
  • Liked my one visit to the Service Center. I got the appointment the same week and was treated like a king. YMMVG
  • Like the (fully functional 2021) center console USB ports and the locking glovebox
  • Hated the horrible delivery experience (a key was missing, had to walk a mile in the rain (even though I paid for home delivery), was not allowed to inspect the car "take it or leave it right now".
  • Dislike heat from glass roof (I use an opaque sunshade)
  • Dislike the turning radius
  • Dislike the audio apps. Pretty terrible. I got Premium Spotify (free for 3 months) but the app is so bad I dropped it. BTW the Spotify web site works well in the browser, even the scroll wheel works. The usb app is so bad I organize my music in folders and use them for navigation.
  • Dislike that I lose so much (like voice commands) when I'm outside of cellular coverage
  • Dislike that the closest Service Center is 2.5 hours away (Thank you NM! /s)
  • Dislike it is not boxier in the back for more storage space and for sleeping
  • Dislike the narrow field of view in side mirrors (got aftermarket wide angle mirrors that I love)
  • Dislike the lack of normal door handles (I got the aftermarket add ons)
  • Dislike that the touch screen does not rotate (love my aftermarket swivel mount)
  • Dislike bogus warnings/alarms (it's better now that I've adjusted the configuration)
  • Dislike that the warning text is nearly invisible
  • Dislike I can't combine sentry mode with dog mode
  • Dislike all the carpeting inside (dog hair magnet) I have rubber/plastic mats everywhere I can
  • Dislike the poor browser performance
  • Dislike having to Google to figure out some of the controls
  • Dislike the look of the Aero caps for the Gemini wheels
  • Wish the Gemini wheels were black
  • Dislike the loose rear view mirror
Perfect is the enemy of good. Overall I love love love this car.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg
Sounds like rough/harsh ride is a common theme here and not just the "haters". Hopefully Tesla will improve this in future models.
If you look at threads on the ride of the MY they're full of people saying things like 'you're just a hater' or 'you just have a sensitive butt, the ride is fine,' but there are a multitude of complaints about the ride so I tend to think those are the people that have no standards when it comes to ride quality.

Fortunately it sounds like Tesla has improved the suspension in more recent versions of the MY. Mine is from July 2020 so it's an early model. I haven't ridden in others so I can't comment on whether it's improved or not. I'm in the process of upgrading the suspension with Mountain Pass Performance parts. hopefully it helps. My recommendation to anyone is to make sure you take a test drive over some less than perfect roads to evaluate for yourself.

Reactions: bobbyjae
In case you were tapping the screen like an idiot like me, you can push the indicator stalk forward once and it will disable auto high beam.

Now I've got muscle memory down to double hit drive stalk then push forward the indicator stalk.. still should have the option to just permanently disable!

Yup, I do the same thing - I wish they would turn this off, it just does NOT work.

Love - electric power train

Regenerative breaking/one pedal driving: always feels under control or that it can be brought under control so easily. Just feels so much better, so much safer than ice car.

Don’t love - sporty ride is very sporty

a few rattles

To be honest, I really dislike the range. During the cold days 28 degrees F, I’m averaged about 120 miles or less on 80% charge. No heat on, only heated steering wheel and seat set to 1 . 2022 MYP totlankw hour for 5300 mile is 262 kw/h. Average commute 80 miles round trip 214 to 250 kw/h.. considering I paid a higher price (2022) I’d like to get at least 240 miles out of the 303 advertised . I understand climate changes the range , but 120 miles for a light foot on chill mode?

Reactions: woolymammoth17
To be honest, I really dislike the range. During the cold days 28 degrees F, I’m averaged about 120 miles or less on 80% charge. No heat on, only heated steering wheel and seat set to 1 . 2022 MYP totlankw hour for 5300 mile is 262 kw/h. Average commute 80 miles round trip 214 to 250 kw/h.. considering I paid a higher price (2022) I’d like to get at least 240 miles out of the 303 advertised . I understand climate changes the range , but 120 miles for a light foot on chill mode?
Is the car parked in a heated garage?

That doesn't quite match up with my experience. This Tuesday I put on 200 miles at 19 degrees F. At an average speed of 70 mph I was using 330 Wh/mi, which would work out to about a 220 mile range (assuming using 70kWH of power).

What I did find is that if I had plenty of range and my destination was set as a Supercharger, it would convert the excess range into battery preconditioning to speed up eventual charging. In that leg of the trip I was only getting 421 Wh/mi, and according to the Energy App one third of the power used was going to battery conditioning. Clearly the message there is to set the car to precondition the battery while it is still plugged in before the trip begins.

I've got another trip coming up in what looks to be 10 degree F weather. I'll carefully precondition the battery this time and see what kind of range I get. (I've done it before but wasn't carefully tracking energy consumption).

Had 2023 Model Y Long Range a week....

Love: Driving it. Fun Fun Fun
Dislike: HVAC is going to be a problem come summer as my wife likes to close vents.
Also, should be able to pick a default screen, is in after I've picked a song, go back to Nav.
Also, why doesn't it hold the Youtube video you were watching to return to when you go back to it. Park, open youtube, search for video, find it, 2-3 commercials, watch part of video, (pull forward in drive thru line), set park, and it doesn't hold place in video, new session ? Repeat entire process ?!?!
Also, having a dog of a time trying to fit tires. But if you're going to call it an SUV, then I need to be able to fit big all terrain tires.
Also, I want the auto-brights to come on by location, as in, when I turn on this dark and dimly lit road with lots of deers and hogs, please turn on the brights and don't turn them off.
Autopilot (base package) changing lanes on the highway doesn't see like that big of a giveaway.

Back to LOVE:
Seats, comfortable.
Heated steering wheel (saves my always cold hands)
Phone Connectivity (though should be able to set more advanced schedules based on times and users for preconditioning)
Apple Music native (not have to stream from phone)
Sound system BUMPS

Back to DISLIKE:
Need integrated trailer brake controller. Yes regen does most of work, but having trailer brakes helps too, but need to be able to set gain/application levels.
Wheel choice on ordering needs more variability. Why can't you order a Performance with 19" or 18" wheels etc ?

Love the thing, thrilled to finally have one. Longtime stock owner and believer, but never a vehicle owner until this price cut.