Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Online configurator preview

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker first time poster.

On preorder day morning last year I discussed model 3 with my boss at work and suddenly decided to get one since I plan to buy a new car probably BMW 3 for a while. One big advantage living in Silicon Valley bay area besides mild weather (many CONs too like crazy house price + bad traffic )is you have some connections with world famous corporations and I have two friends (Church brother) working at Tesla by then and immediately called one to see whether he has used his quota, lucky me he hasn’t and placed order for me with my credit card (Reservation number RN10774xxxx). Time flies just Monday night he informed me that I could configure my car. Yesterday morning I logged to MY TESLA using his account and began to configure, I opted black base 35K + 5K premium + 8K full AP, 48K total before full federal + CA incentive as well as delivery/document costs. I know I will get delivery this November in stead of September if I choose long range with 9K extra, I do believe 9k is a little steep plus I only drive 15 miles to work round way and both my work and Church (next to other office of my company) have free charge stations. I guess I may get configuration email request in September. There is a trade in option for 'Hold MY PLACE’, do you think Tesla is fair or I should just donate to Church?

Reactions: FlatSix911
I have to admit, most everything with the Model 3 performance/battery specs baffles me.
  • For the base battery, the super charging is pretty slow (130 miles in 30 minutes). Charge time is one of THE things people worry about when considering switching to EVs. With buffer, you're looking at 45+ minutes of supercharging in the base model. That's really not much better than the Bolt at a 50kwh DC charger.
  • The 75kwh verison is MUCH slower than the 75kwh Model S, despite the same battery size and substantially lower weight. Why?
  • Back in my day 4.5 years ago +25kwh was $10,000 (60->85), the cost per kwh between base and long range 3 hasn't really improved either and THAT more than anything I expected would be better given the gigafatory.

The car, the options, and the cost are pretty on par with what I expected (other than a larger battery being maybe 5-6k), but I certainly wasn't expecting things related to the battery (super charge rate, performance, cost) to stay the same or get worse as EVs became mass production.

Edit: corrected my statement about supercharging
I guessed the GF helps more Tesla get a better benefit not the customer at least not in the early days.

... There is a trade in option for 'Hold MY PLACE’, do you think Tesla is fair or I should just donate to Church?

Tesla is "okay" in their trade-in program, as in dealership okay middle of the road valuation. You certainly would do far better selling your car as a private party via Craigslist, Autotrader, or other current medium to sell. I would check the value of your car if you're strongly considering donating to your church (in terms of max write-off). Of course you may just be passionate about giving to your church regardless of tax value. ;)

• Funny
Long time lurker first time poster.

On preorder day morning last year I discussed model 3 with my boss at work and suddenly decided to get one since I plan to buy a new car probably BMW 3 for a while. One big advantage living in Silicon Valley bay area besides mild weather (many CONs too like crazy house price + bad traffic )is you have some connections with world famous corporations and I have two friends (Church brother) working at Tesla by then and immediately called one to see whether he has used his quota, lucky me he hasn’t and placed order for me with my credit card (Reservation number RN10774xxxx). Time flies just Monday night he informed me that I could configure my car. Yesterday morning I logged to MY TESLA using his account and began to configure, I opted black base 35K + 5K premium + 8K full AP, 48K total before full federal + CA incentive as well as delivery/document costs. I know I will get delivery this November in stead of September if I choose long range with 9K extra, I do believe 9k is a little steep plus I only drive 15 miles to work round way and both my work and Church (next to other office of my company) have free charge stations. I guess I may get configuration email request in September. There is a trade in option for 'Hold MY PLACE’, do you think Tesla is fair or I should just donate to Church?

Isn't the employee pre-order perk meant for employees only, not their friends? I thought Tesla wanted to get direct employee feedback on the early cars. "Logging into his account" seems like bending some rules.

Reactions: melindav
Agreed, I feel like they may have an issue when Tesla wants to title it to the employee.

The employee pre-order allows "family" too so I don't think it's as restrictive as some might think. And, based on what I've seen for the Model S and X, Tesla is shockingly cavalier about how they handle government stuff like registration or taxation. Your regular dealer is way more strict than Tesla is about following the rules on registration and taxation.

I am still puzzled about the $49K number. There appear to be two ways to pay $49 K for this long-range model. The extra $5K could come from Premium Interior or Enhanced Autopilot. OR, are they saying (and I hope the answer is no) that you have no choice if you want a First Production car but to pay for the required Premium Interior PLUS the Enhanced Autopilot for a total of $54K?

If I'm going to pay for a $5K upgrade, I would much rather get the software than heated seats... I can understand that Tesla wants to focus on one battery size for the first production line, but do they really need to force the Interior upgrade on those of us who just want the software? Can someone confirm this $54K figure for those of us who want Enhanced Autopilot on a First Production car?

Thanks,
JG

Correct.

There are none at this time. It is just like Elon said, you get to select color and wheels.

From the FAQ: Model 3 Reservations FAQ

So in the Fall they add one interior color. I really want the cream color so I hope it comes in early 2018.

Just to complete this...

Black and Aero wheels only, for $49k.
Black and sport wheels, for $50.5k
Non-black and Aero = $50k
Non-black and sport = $51.5k

Software upgrades as listed (possibly after purchase for a higher price)

Yep. Except that during the test drives they said that autopilot hasn't been calibrated for the M3 yet. I imagine it will come pretty early, though, each sale is pure profit for them, as they don't have to deliver any additional hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: geometro