Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
af1zUXe.png

Get the rebate while you still can!

If the first call for delivery is targetting early June. The majority of us would land mid/late June, even well into July. If that's the case, and a lot of us are banking on the rebate, then this leaves little to the imagination where voting for anyone but the liberals would mean losing the rebate.

Respectfully, submitting the rebate form within a one day period is unlikely to materially affect the time it takes to get the rebate qualified and paid out. I have been waiting since December for my Smart ED rebate. 6 months! Eta is next 10 days, so they say...

I agree however if elected they could kill the EVIP in any number of ways. Dead as of today. Dead for new car orders from this day forward. Dead for any new applications. On and on. Personally I’m not willing to take the chance.

Reactions: navguy12
Everyone needs to chill out. Even if Doug Ford is elected with a majority on June 6th, there will be a transition period of several weeks before he is actually the premier. And it's doubtful he would kill the rebate on his first day...

Everyone needs to chill out. Even if Doug Ford is elected with a majority on June 6th, there will be a transition period of several weeks before he is actually the premier. And it's doubtful he would kill the rebate on his first day...

That's my question always. What is the by law transition period for Ontario provincial elections? and normally how long it takes for a new premier and a new transport minister? I did some google but can't find the answer..

af1zUXe.png

So I assume the policy of having folks write off their Escalades and Denali's for "business expenses" will carry on full speed ahead.

There is no doubts that PC will cancel the rebate program, we are talking how long between election and Ford becomes a new premier.
If anyone thinks PC could cancel the rebate program before the new government formed, that is a different story.

Cancelling the rebate isn't something that would need to be voted on so it doesn't matter if they have a minority or majority.

Again, we are talking about the time duration between Election Day and new premier, it does matter of majority and minority. If minority government will be formed according to the article above , it will take more time.

I mean safe is that ppl who holds an order shall be safe to get the rebate. Not minority government will not cancel the rebate.

Again, we are talking about the time duration between Election Day and new premier, it does matter of majority and minority. If minority government will be formed according to the article above , it will take more time.

I mean safe is that ppl who holds an order shall be safe to get the rebate. Not minority government will not cancel the rebate.

However there is no guarantee at all that those of us with placed orders, and even having submitted our documents for the EVIP, are safe.

The conservative government could easily cancel the funding effective that day and those applications simply disappear.

Reactions: 03DSG and navguy12
If the first call for delivery is targetting early June. The majority of us would land mid/late June, even well into July. If that's the case, and a lot of us are banking on the rebate, then this leaves little to the imagination where voting for anyone but the liberals would mean losing the rebate.
Doesn't mean they of

However there is no guarantee at all that those of us with placed orders, and even having submitted our documents for the EVIP, are safe.

The conservative government could easily cancel the funding effective that day and those applications simply disappear.
Big savior might be that gm and Nissan give the rebate upfront then submit the application on the behalf of the customer. PCs big not want to piss off Nissan and GM especially which has a large presence in Ontario.

Losing 14k on all outstanding in progress evip sales is a tough pill for any manufacturer. Big corporations or small volume. It's a big wrench to throw in without a grandfather process.
I thought you meant going forward.. not existing orders.

But then.. it's still technically not GM and Nissan that's on the hook.. more the dealerships.. Which I would imagine IF the conservatives do what I said they could do... then then dealerships would/ could maybe go after the new owners and be like... well... too bad.. we want our money

One thought, if PC canceled rebate for any car which has not registered in the province, or even cancel all rebate application which is in process. Will the government have the legal issue? Could people bring the PC government into court for that?
No.

The fine print within the rebate form includes the clause that the program can be cancelled at any time for any reason.