Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forum's poll today has PC 40, OLP 23, NDP 33, Green 4. While this is a Forum poll (they haven't always been the most accurate), this is, so far as I can see, a new high for the NDP in this campaign. It seems possible that the progressive vote may be starting to line up behind the NDP. If half of the remaining Liberal support goes to the NDP before election day, we may be looking at an NDP government.

So, to stay on topic here, have we gotten any more detail on the NDP approach to EV rebates, whether the current rebate or something else?
I would love to see the NDP as the official opposition party.

What is everyone’s thought on the upcoming availability of dual motor M3 in the configurator, as it pertains to the provincial rebate? It seems to me that since AWD is a different trim line than RWD, it would need to be explicitly added to the Provincial site to confirm that it is eligible for rebate. If there are only 3 weeks left before the election, the worry is that the new trim of AWD might not be added to the website before the program is discontinued... then, even if you had the potential to be “grandfathered” for the rebate if you had already submitted your deposit to purchase your car, you would be eligible based on trim (i.e. AWD)

And one other question:
Based on Ford’s responses posted to this thread, what do people think the chances are of getting the rebate if you submitted/paid your order right now for RWD?
Is it likely that you’d be eligible for the rebate because you *submitted your final order/deposit* prior to June 7/program discontinuation, or would you need to have the car *delivered* before the program is discontinued?

• Love
Reactions: ZooSean
And one other question:
Based on Ford’s responses posted to this thread, what do people think the chances are of getting the rebate if you submitted/paid your order right now for RWD?
Is it likely that you’d be eligible for the rebate because you *submitted your final order/deposit* prior to June 7/program discontinuation, or would you need to have the car *delivered* before the program is discontinued?

Who knows, but:

1. Tesla is shipping as many RWD Model 3 as possible to Ontario. They hope to delivery those 1st couple weeks of June.

2. June 7 will be the Election Day , but if Doug win Majority, it takes about 10 days to transfer power. By that time Tesla shall finish all current order deliveries.

3. Current pool shows NDP getting stronger, if NDP manage get more seats, there is a chance PC win with a minority government, if that’s the case. It takes longer to transfer the power.

Having said above, there still will be a chance that your car does not get delivered before power transfer. But the odds are very slim.

Reactions: papapodcasts
And one other question:

The EHVIP forms need the VIN, licence plate number, and the permit's RIN. It's hard to get the last 2 without completing delivery.

The EHVIP forms need the VIN, licence plate number, and the permit's RIN. It's hard to get the last 2 without completing delivery.
I don't even think that you can apply without having the car in your possession. That said the position of the campaign was that existing orders (not necessarily existing applications) would be grandfathered in.

I don't even think that you can apply without having the car in your possession. That said the position of the campaign was that existing orders (not necessarily existing applications) would be grandfathered in.

Yes, I hope that’s the case. However, there may be two issues with AWD:
1) The province may not add new trim lines to the eligibility list after program cancellation. AWD is currently not listed, and may take several weeks to a couple of months to be added, since it’s not in production yet

2) AWD vehicles might take a few months for production and delivery (many unpredictable factors here, like first production of AWD going to Tesla employees/US customers first, shift of production to US in Q3 to maximize US federal EV tax credits). Previous changes to the Ontario EV rebate program did have a limit as to how long deliveries could take, even if the vehicle was ordered before the change took place.

Accordingly, I decided not to gamble with an AWD order. I placed my order for RWD today. I really want to get the rebate, if at all possible.

Yes, I hope that’s the case. However, there may be two issues with AWD:
1) The province may not add new trim lines to the eligibility list after program cancellation. AWD is currently not listed, and may take several weeks to a couple of months to be added, since it’s not in production yet

2) AWD vehicles might take a few months for production and delivery (many unpredictable factors here, like first production of AWD going to Tesla employees/US customers first, shift of production to US in Q3 to maximize US federal EV tax credits). Previous changes to the Ontario EV rebate program did have a limit as to how long deliveries could take, even if the vehicle was ordered before the change took place.

Accordingly, I decided not to gamble with an AWD order. I placed my order for RWD today. I really want to get the rebate, if at all possible.
Damn didn't even think of #1

The whole issue on rebates got visibility when the loonie Tania Granic Allen bought it up in the debates. She called it Tesla rebates and made it look like rebates for the rich. These rebates are for all manufacturers. Its just so happens that Tesla makes these cars. I would hate for the rebates to go as this would almost shutdown the growth of EVs.

Forum's poll today has PC 40, OLP 23, NDP 33, Green 4. While this is a Forum poll (they haven't always been the most accurate), this is, so far as I can see, a new high for the NDP in this campaign. It seems possible that the progressive vote may be starting to line up behind the NDP. If half of the remaining Liberal support goes to the NDP before election day, we may be looking at an NDP government.

So, to stay on topic here, have we gotten any more detail on the NDP approach to EV rebates, whether the current rebate or something else?

NDP would be horrible. Their platform introduces the concept of a "Luxury Car Tax". Look at BC to see how well that's working out, they will start it high and eventually keep reducing the threshold. Also, their platform has no mention of continuing the rebates. Just look at 416 Toronto, a lot of the Councillors are NDPers, it's all about bike lanes, and transit and the war on the car.

On the selfish side, A PC win could work in our favor as getting a rebate before it gets cancelled helps offset any depreciation losses on our Model 3's.

I don't see how axing the climate action plan is working in our favour. I'd rather pay the full $14k extra to keep Ford out of power.

The problem is that the Climate Change Action Plan has been horribly mismanaged. Look no further than the EV Charger Roll out. They selected a Liberal connected firm (KSI) over other more experienced providers (Chargepoint, Flo, etc). Also, the removal of the rebate from Model S and X is purely political.

Also, look at this program: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/onta...ontarians-free-upgrades-reduce-bills-2194043/
and AffordAbility Fund . What's the cost/benefit of helping the environment versus costs to hard working people?

I'm all about being green, but it's frustrating when I'm being squeezed to death on costs, fees and taxes and have yet to see how it makes an impact to Climate Change.

The Liberals have succeeded in making "Climate Change Initiatives" into another Tax (and that's sad)

Reactions: sitter_k
NDP would be horrible. Their platform introduces the concept of a "Luxury Car Tax". Look at BC to see how well that's working out, they will start it high and eventually keep reducing the threshold. Also, their platform has no mention of continuing the rebates. Just look at 416 Toronto, a lot of the Councillors are NDPers, it's all about bike lanes, and transit and the war on the car.

On the selfish side, A PC win could work in our favor as getting a rebate before it gets cancelled helps offset any depreciation losses on our Model 3's.

My wife's co worker was on a bike this morning and was struck by a truck and passed away in Leslieville... this whole bike thing i dunno... traffic in Toronto these days is not meant to be shared with cyclists... sad day... 50 something year old with a wife and two kids..

My wife's co worker was on a bike this morning and was struck by a truck and passed away in Leslieville... this whole bike thing i dunno... traffic in Toronto these days is not meant to be shared with cyclists... sad day... 50 something year old with a wife and two kids..

I saw that on CP24, I'm sorry.
I'm actually in support of separated bike lanes. The problem is the horrible implementation and political games on how they are rolled out. Specifically, Richmond and Adelaide lanes, there is a real issue on the right turn lanes and total confusion of who has the right of way. Layer on that the congestion and stress of the City, it's not pretty. The amount of close calls I see are scary.

Another screwed up implementation is Eastern Avenue. Who in their right mind would reduce a major commuter route to one lane (Between Carlaw and Leslie) for a bike lane that only goes a few blocks with no connections to the overall system.

You have to be very brave to ride a bike or motorcycle in the GTA on city streets, it's madness out there.

• Love
Reactions: akidesir